The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 05:52 AM

Default Jumbo tonewoods...

I've been investigating inexpensive jumbos and found that Framus (Alvarez?), make the traditional spruce/maple model and also spruce/mahogany and all mahogany (the latter £215 from Thomann!). I'm familiar with what I can expect tonally from spruce maple, but how about the other two combinations?
Yes, I know the b/s are laminate but in my experience with other brands, notably Yamaha, there is a tonal difference. All the above have solid tops.
By the way I have noticed that both Alvarez and Framus guitars have the same bi-level bridges, same shaped pickguards (where fitted), and headstock shapes. Badge engineering?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_leg...m_jumbo_sb.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_legacy_jumbo_na.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_leg...sv_jumbo_s.htm
Old 03-03-2021, 01:14 PM

I have 3 jumbos, all with mahogany and spruce. A Martin JM, a Martin J12-16GT (12 string) and a 1973 Ibanez Concord 754 (near perfect copy of the Gibson J-185 Everley Brothers).
Definite choice on my part. Full bass, well-balanced, plenty of projection, not a lot of overtones. Very clean sound all over the neck. Good all round for strumming, single line or finger picking. In particular, the 12 string is not over “jangly”.
This fits nicely with what I like to hear. Others will have legitimate other preferences.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
I have 3 jumbos, all with mahogany and spruce. A Martin JM, a Martin J12-16GT (12 string) and a 1973 Ibanez Concord 754 (near perfect copy of the Gibson J-185 Everley Brothers).
The Concord 754 is not a near perfect copy of an Everly Bros J185. The body specs are closer to a J200 albeit without the unique bracing of a J200 or same type of body wood. The Everly Bros. J185 had a smaller maple body (a 16 1/4" lower bout) and as produced had a 1/2" shallower depth than the J185 it was based on had. Although the Everly Bros. prototypes were essentially J200s, Gibson did not want to go with a guitar which would compete with that model so went with one which was not in production at the time.

The key, of course, was the Gibsons of the 1970s were far from the best of the breed so the Ibanez versions fared well in comparison.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
The Concord 754 is not a near perfect copy of an Everly Bros J185. The body specs are closer to a J200 albeit without the unique bracing of a J200 or same type of body wood. The Everly Bros. J185 had a smaller maple body (a 16 1/4" lower bout) and as produced had a 1/2" shallower depth than the J185 it was based on had. Although the Everly Bros. prototypes were essentially J200s, Gibson did not want to go with a guitar which would compete with that model so went with one which was not in production at the time.

The key, of course, was the Gibsons of the 1970s were far from the best of the breed so the Ibanez versions fared well in comparison.
Thanks zombywoof. I should have specified "visually". Let's not forget that there were three variations to the Everley Brothers over the years from late 1950's to late 1960's, the final version having the bout dimensions adjusted yet again to reflect a requests from Phil. This means that the Ibanez would drown in a J200 case, and finding a case with a snug fit is a challenge, but not impossible
Old 03-04-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Definite choice on my part. Full bass, well-balanced, plenty of projection, not a lot of overtones. Very clean sound all over the neck. Good all round for strumming, single line or finger picking. In particular, the 12 string is not over “jangly”.
This fits nicely with what I like to hear. Others will have legitimate other preferences.
Thank you; I'm a recent convert to the all-mahogany tone which I like very much in my Faith FRMG (slope dread), and was wondering how it would translate to a super jumbo. Obviously I can't play before buying right now but at the silly price quoted I feel it's a chance worth taking. I'm not a great fan of the spruce/maple tone. Now I just need to decide between all-mahogany and spruce/mahogany.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks zombywoof. I should have specified "visually". Let's not forget that there were three variations to the Everley Brothers over the years from late 1950's to late 1960's, the final version having the bout dimensions adjusted yet again to reflect a requests from Phil. This means that the Ibanez would drown in a J200 case, and finding a case with a snug fit is a challenge, but not impossible
The Everly Bros. guitar was produced from 1962 into the early-1970s. As far as I know the guitar sported the same lower bout dimensions, pinless ADJ saddle bridge and such its entire production run with the changes Gibson made being primarily aesthetic such as finish and pickguards. And I have only ever heard of the Ibanez as being referred to as a J200 knockoff.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:55 AM

Jumbo tonewoods...

I don't have any solid maple B&S. All have solid tops, mostly spruce.

My Alvarez and Epiphone have laminate maple B&S.
My Gibson has Rosewood B&S.
My Taylor 355 has Sapele B&S.
My Walnut Taylor has (surprise) Walnut B&S, to go with a Walnut top.
My Grand Orchestras have Rosewood B&S.

Spruce and Rosewood produces my favorite sound.
Jumboes produce an overall well-balanced output, important to me because I fingerpick using my nails as picks.
The Taylor Grand Orchestra shape is a jumbo with a slightly wider waist, and very deep.
And the Taylor Grand Concert shape is also quite similar to a jumbo shape, but smaller with a lower ceiling.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-04-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:34 AM

I have never really given much thought to what lumber a guitar is built with.
Too many variables involved in producing sound such as the bracing. When it comes to laminate, my take on it is laminate has less to do with tone than, to use a drum analogy, it does with adding stiffness to the sides so the top can be more efficient. Then again, there is laminate which is made with even layers of the same wood and then that which has some cheap filler such as poplar sandwiched between paper thin mahogany, maple or rosewood veneer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion