The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
My ex was a Philly native transplanted to the midwest. Sometimes she had trouble making herself understood. The first time she ordered a "soda" at a restaurant, she was surprised to receive an ice cream soda instead of just a cola. She pronounced orange "ARanj," milk "melk," water "WOODer," robot as "RObutt," and fully sounded the G in words like hanger and singer.
That’s great. Wooder is the big one everyone latches onto, but “melk” really cracks me up. I’m actually an NYC area transplant here, so I really notice the accent.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Took me less than five minutes to find George saying his own name.
Go to about the 15 second mark.

If you asked Greorge to pronounce crowd or proud his regional accent would make it sound like "croyd" or "proyd". I would think he expects people to pronounce his name in the same way they would pronounce crowd or proud in THEIR accent

A good few years ago when his guitars were first seen, one of the jokes doing the round of folk clubs in the north of England was:

First Northern folkie - That's a nice guitar, what make is it?
Second Northern folkie : It's a Lowden
First Northern folkie: I know it'a a "loud one", I can hear that - but what make is it?

In the North, the local dialects transform one into "un" - for example 'that's a big un" instead of that's a big one.

Last edited by Ray175; 03-04-2021 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
When I was in fifth grade, our French teacher tried to make me pronounce my own first name with a French accent. I refused. She sent me to the principal's office. I got detention every day for a week.
I spent most of fifth grade in detention with the gal from across the street instead of going to recess. My older brother and the older gal from across the street got the same treatment two years before. Our fifth grade teacher just took a dislike to our to families and enjoyed publicly humiliating us.
Quote:
I've had issues with authority ever since. But even the idiot cops in Concord Massachusetts, who mistakenly threw me in jail overnight because they thought I had stolen my own car, didn't try to make me mispronounce my own name.
Yeah. No-one gets my last name right. They ask my name and I say it and they look at me with complete lack of comprehension. I spell it out and they say, "Oh! You mean WOE-mack." Um, no. I've got a clue how to pronounce my own name.

WAH-MUCK. Equal emphasis.

From KNOX-vl, TENNessEE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-04-2021, 06:23 AM

I worked for a while at the biological station in the Galapagos. One of the captive tortoises had been rescued from the naval base in Guayaquil, and his proximity to sailors got him the name Popeye - which was pronounced pope ay ee ay, of course.

D.H.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:08 AM

I always pronounced it Low-den, exactly how it's spelled, I guess I've been out to lunch!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Thanks, all - one of life's tiny mysteries solved at last!

Next week we'll do the capital of Myanmar.

D.H.
That one's easy, Naypyidaw. Now, try the capital of Burkina Faso.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Thanks, all - one of life's tiny mysteries solved at last!

Next week we'll do the capital of Myanmar.

D.H.
Burma I'm pretty sure
Old 03-04-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I spent most of fifth grade in detention with the gal from across the street instead of going to recess. My older brother and the older gal from across the street got the same treatment two years before. Our fifth grade teacher just took a dislike to our to families and enjoyed publicly humiliating us.Yeah. No-one gets my last name right. They ask my name and I say it and they look at me with complete lack of comprehension. I spell it out and they say, "Oh! You mean WOE-mack." Um, no. I've got a clue how to pronounce my own name.

WAH-MUCK. Equal emphasis.

From KNOX-vl, TENNessEE.

Bob
Having spent quite a bit of time working across the hall from the late Bobby, I'd get it wrong too. Between him and Lee Ann, sounds like you've got an uphill battle.

I have some good friends from Knoxville so I'd get that right. But they only accent the first syllable of Tennessee, so in that case you're outvoted by your own homies. :-)

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion