The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempotantrum View Post
I didn't catch what the OP's preferred style is - that may influence maker and wood choices. I have always had Adirondack tops and mostly mahogany dreads because I am mostly a bluegrass flat picker (but not always). I have owned Bourgeois d150 (Brazilian/Adi), Preston Thompson DM (Hog/Adi), 2005 Collings D2HA, and a 2010-ish Collings D1A. They were all great in different ways - similarly to what someone else said, I probably let the Collings go too early (I have a 2003 Collings OM42BaaaA I got in 2020 - older Collings are amazing). My current dread is a 2020 D1ATS - Favorite of them all. It is a combination of the neck, the feel, the build - but mostly the amazing sound. This link is Kenny Smith playing the same model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmjRaXM_bA
Bluegrass flat picking for this guitar and I'm definitely thinking mahogany/adi or mahogany/sitka
Old 03-03-2021, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Until you hear it in person, or better yet, pick it up and play it, you really have no idea how well a guitar works for you. Listening to videos of players, like Bob Minner and Carl Miner, don't give us an entirely great picture a guitar's tone. Those guys can pull tone out of a Recording King that would embarrass me playing my D1T. And then there are ergonomic considerations. We can all give recommendations, but you have to own it.
Very good point. It's not like these guitars are being played by a bunch of hacks. But on the flip side of that statement...you do get a sense for the best that these guitars can deliver. Still, that doesn't mean it's right for you...but it certainly is GAS inducing!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-03-2021, 09:27 AM

On the subject of clips, I found these to be representative of the tone I got when the guitars came home, minus the ability of the guy in the clips.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

On the subject of clips, I found these to be representative of the tone I got when the guitars came home, minus the ability of the guy in the clips.

I’ve never found my guitars that I’ve played in the “magic carpet” demo rooms at guitar shops to sound the same once I get them home either!!LOL

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 03-03-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Duff, is that also true for vintage Rosewood Martins? I get the mahogany thing and yes that 1938 D-18 TNAG demo was awesome. But I'm more of a Rosewood guy and I need that extra harmonic thickness/richness in the upper mids that is often missing in modern mid-scooped Martin 28s.
On the Luthier on Luthier podcast, John Slobod says something very interesting. The more guitars age, the less the distinction between rosewood and mahagony can be detected soundwise. At least that seems to be the case for vintage Martins.

With regard to the main question, lots of great answers here. I would also consider Rockbridge.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
On the Luthier on Luthier podcast, John Slobod says something very interesting. The more guitars age, the less the distinction between rosewood and mahagony can be detected soundwise. At least that seems to be the case for vintage Martins..
That is interesting. I've noticed this as well on true "vintage" Martin's. But only having played a handful most of that is by YT recording so not the best source I suppose.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

These are very Martin sounding to my ears.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'll go real snarky and just suggest buying the genuine article. As COVID recedes and the economy opens up, they'll be ample opportunities to play the Martin vs the excellent knock-offs.

I confess that you would not be inaccurate to label me as a traditionalist.

scott memmer
Old 03-03-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
These are very Martin sounding to my ears.

Just a little. Mine have a much slimmer neck and forearm bevels, both of which are important for my comfort when playing for longer periods of time.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

There are a lot of builders making great D-18s in your price range. Everyone mentioned here and many more luthiers, small shops and manufacturers.

D-28s are harder in my opinion. Most of the new ones are too wet, bass heavy and the mids are usually not properly represented. In my experience you often have to pay quite a bit more for an incredible D28. Not always, but often.

It’s important to control for Carl Miner’s touch when listening to those demos. The Dudenbostel sounds great, but it’s not gonna sound like that in another player’s hands without the proper pick angle, right hand technique and in this case, the right tuning.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:58 AM

To the OP there is a 1969 D-18 on the Baltimore CL maybe on Washington also
Reasonably priced

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion