The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 02:00 AM
Charter Member

I’ve found “the one”...but I can’t afford it. I played a Collings OM-1T with a baked top at Morgan Music in Lebanon, MO...and if I’d have had a way of getting my hands on $4500, I’d have taken it home. I was absolutely smitten & had daydreams about it for weeks.

Last edited by TDavis; 12-06-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I’ve found “the one”...but I can’t afford it. I played a Collings OM-1T with a baked top at Morgan Music in Lebanon, MO...and if I’d have had a way of getting my hands on $4500, I’d have taken it home. I was absolutely smitten & had daydreams
about it for weeks.

Indeed! Those are some of the sweetest guitars out there. I just sold the rosewood dread version to an AGF member for a bit less than that, after I bought back a favorite guitar. Wish I could have afforded to keep both.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:21 AM

Yes, but...

A few years ago I sold off the three lovely guitars I had and used the money to order a custom Huss & Dalton TOM-M with short scale and a bearclaw Italian spruce top. "The One."

That guitar was everything I had hoped for, and now, about three years later, it's bloomed into an even better instrument - tone and playability are superb. I do love it, BUT...

Being a good AGF citizen, I never stop looking. I'm especially curious now about rosewood B&S 00s and 000's (short scale OMs for some builders). So far, nothing has challenged my H&D for #1 in my heart. But I can't say for sure that there isn't a guitar out there that might win me over.

I'm particularly curious about Bourgeois guitars (which I've never played), but there was that short scale rosewood Santa Cruz OM/PW in the classifieds recently that caught my eye...

So, call me happy with my #1, but still tempted...
Old 12-06-2019, 08:30 AM

I have - but in a different way. I have been building guitars rather than buying them. A few from scratch, and a few from woods already cut int sets, tops etc...
All have turned out sounding great. yes, most have a flaw or two, but they are mine, any way you want to look at it. And yes, they do 'fill the void' quite well!
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-06-2019, 08:40 AM

I found the one, no doubt about it but it happens to be my electric and it's a EB Music Man Axis SS. I have not desired another electric since I got it. Still searching for the one acoustic. I thought it was going to be one that I had made but my main problem was I went with the industry standard of 1 3/4" instead of 11/16. And for no other reason that b/c it's standard because I never plan to sell it. It was a dumb decision. My hands don't work a 1 3/4 as well as 11/16-unfortunately.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I have - but in a different way. I have been building guitars rather than buying them. A few from scratch, and a few from woods already cut int sets, tops etc...
All have turned out sounding great. yes, most have a flaw or two, but they are mine, any way you want to look at it. And yes, they do 'fill the void' quite well!
Merry Christmas!
Over the years, I have played a handful of guitars built by hobby builders either from kits or an assembly of parts and pieces offered to them by professional luthiers. A couple of them truly sounded so good no one cared about the few cosmetic flaws. What a fun and satisfying way to search for the one or more!

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-06-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Merry Christmas!
I'm working on my 67th now and so far have NEVER built one without a flaw or two or three. What I have managed to do however is make it so that the average Joe don't notice them There is nothing like the joy of building a guitar you made yourself though. In a way we are members of a very exclusive club.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:43 AM

I found "the one", but I don't own it and never will.

About two years ago I happened into Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA and played a 1940 Martin D-45. It was the fifth Pre War D-45 I've had the honor of playing and it was not only the best of the five, it was also the best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever played.

The guitar survived the attack on Pearl Harbor as did the then-young sailor who bought it new and kept it in his family his whole life. It is the 63rd Pre War D-45 ever found out of the 91 ever made.

The guitar had been through some repairs over the years, but they were perfectly executed and the guitar just sounded INCREDIBLE!

Not surprisingly, it sold in two days for a little over $150,000.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I found "the one", but I don't own it and never will.

About two years ago I happened into Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA and played a 1940 Martin D-45. It was the fifth Pre War D-45 I've had the honor of playing and it was not only the best of the five, it was also the best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever played.

The guitar survived the attack on Pearl Harbor as did the then-young sailor who bought it new and kept it in his family his whole life. It is the 63rd Pre War D-45 ever found out of the 91 ever made.

The guitar had been through some repairs over the years, but they were perfectly executed and the guitar just sounded INCREDIBLE!

Not surprisingly, it sold in two days for a little over $150,000.
If the purchaser of that amazing instrument reads your beautifully eloquent post, they will now be worried they stole that guitar. A lovely post. Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion