The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-14-2019, 10:03 PM

Default Emerald x20-12. NGD

Well, for the past while I have been gassing for a 12 string. I figure everybody needs one. I live in Tucson Az and caring for my good acoustics is a constant chore. A couple of years ago I bought a Rainsong 6 string and it has been a delight to own. Sounds great (and I love the N2 neck). I can ignore it when not using it, throw it in the trunk, take it Mexico, check it on airlines and not worry. So I thought I would investigate CF 12 strings. Emerald guitars caught my attention and I have been visiting their website intermittently for a couple of months. Last week Alister released his November Select series and I happened on the site the same day. I fell in love with the x20-12, it was available for immediate delivery! I bought it the same day and it arrived today!
Absolutely stunning guitar, perfect setup. I am still 'acclimatizing' myself to the 12 strings as this is my first. The sound port really provides the player with a full balanced sound. I have yet to record it. Will have to experiment with mic placement I am sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X20-12 Kosipo (Ele) SS - 5472_10-1.jpg (24.0 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by al_az; 11-14-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! That is a beautiful guitar. The design and soundhole position on the X20 gives a great player experience. As you get more time with it, it will be great to hear your impressions.

The only downside I can think of with my Emeralds is they have spoiled other guitars for me.

Enjoy!
Old 11-14-2019, 11:27 PM

That's great! I think CF is a great idea for a 12-string. I have a Takamine wood (lam b&s) 12-string, and it's been solid as a rock, but it also weighs as much as a big rock. I'd imagine the X20 gets it done with less weight.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

That's Beauty, Al, ENJOY!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-15-2019, 05:14 AM

Beautiful!! Arizona scores again!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-15-2019, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Congrats! That is a beautiful guitar. The design and soundhole position on the X20 gives a great player experience. As you get more time with it, it will be great to hear your impressions.

The only downside I can think of with my Emeralds is they have spoiled other guitars for me.

Enjoy!
Couldn’t agree more. Many congrats....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-15-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, that’s a beauty! I’ve never wanted to own a 12 string, but I’ve always wanted to have a next door neighbor who did. I grew up in Tucson, so if I’d stayed, maybe we’d have been neighbors and I could have played that fine guitar from time to time. But I’ve been gone for many years, so I guess you’ll have to find another neighbor to help you keep that thing busy...

Enjoy!

-Ray
Old 11-15-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

That is lovely. The kosipo veneer is especially well suited to this guitar, I think - the figuring on the lower bout, in particular, is beautiful.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Congratulations on the new guitar. Your wording is now making me GAS for a 12 string!
Old 11-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Spectacular! Have fun with the new 12 slinger!
Old 11-15-2019, 07:23 PM

So, new 12 string, first 12 string. Still getting my bearings with it. Today I plugged it into my Mesa Rosette. The x20-12 had just the LR Baggs Element, my acoustics all have the LR Baggs Anthem. I plugged in, it initially sounded a bit too bright . I dialed down the tone on the guitar and the treble on the amp and must say it sounded fantastic!!! Now if I get time this weekend I have to experiment with recording this beast. Just my km 184's? just line out from the Rosette? mic plus line out? Too many options, so little time for us working dudes. I can hardly wait for retirement!
Old 11-15-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
That is lovely. The kosipo veneer is especially well suited to this guitar, I think - the figuring on the lower bout, in particular, is beautiful.
The lower bout figuring is a bit extreme, I can see how it may not appeal to all. Kind of looks like icecream cones
Old 11-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_az View Post
The lower bout figuring is a bit extreme, I can see how it may not appeal to all. Kind of looks like icecream cones
Oh, please don’t misunderstand me. I think it’s gorgeous. Icecream cones, indeed
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-15-2019, 07:49 PM

Did someone say ice cream?? YUM. Make mine butter pecan.....
I can see tornadoes, if you hold it vertically. Maybe you need a new stage name: Al the "Tornado" from AZ. Congrats on that beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
....The only downside I can think of with my Emeralds is they have spoiled other guitars for me.
Roger that! My poor Rainsong WS-1000 and Blackbird Lucky 13 are feeling neglected.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:25 PM

Emerald ships their 12-string necks with 80/20 strings. (which is why it's a bit brighter than you would expect). I haven't gotten around to changing the strings on my Chimaera yet, but when I do, I'll install Phosphor Bronze.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber