The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 08:19 AM

Default Talk me into or out of an Eastman E10SS, sight unseen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
What about a J-15? It's going to have a lot more J-45 vibe than the Eastman, and it is a Gibson.

Thanks for the input. The thing is, I rationalized my search for another guitar by telling myself a spruce/hog short scale slope shoulder dread would round out my current collection and cure my GAS. As much time as I’ve spent talking myself into that, it’ll be hard to talk myself out of it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467

Last edited by JHey!; 01-21-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
Thanks for the input. The thing is, I rationalized my search for another guitar by telling myself a spruce/hog short scale slope shoulder dread would round out my current collection and cure my GAS. As much time as I’ve spent talking myself into that, it’ll be hard to talk myself out of it.
You have left out the key phrase....whose sound I like. It is easy to buy specs. It is hard to buy pleasing noises
Old 01-21-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
You have left out the key phrase....whose sound I like. It is easy to buy specs. It is hard to buy pleasing noises

For sure, I definitely want something that sounds good to my ears. In my situation, I can be certain of the specs before I commit, but I’ll have to take a leap of faith on other important factors like sound and build quality.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:55 AM

I was hunting for j45 a few months ago, I played many, but just did not click with any, they sounded to dead for me, I then saw an Eastman E10ss while out hunting, and I couldn't believe how much I fell in love with the guitar, I now own it and it is to me the greatest sounding guitar I have ever played, and I've played thousands. maybe I just found a special one, I don't know, but from videos I've seen if others, I've not seen a bad sounding one, which can't be said for J45s, there are many many dud j45s out there.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:58 AM

Also, at first I did find the small nut width a little strange, but was totally adapted to it after a week or so.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the nudge, Cromwell!

Old 01-21-2021, 11:31 AM

Give Soundpure in North Caroling a call. They are a big Eastman dealer. Very knowledgeable and honest folks. They have a 'try before you buy" thing for you to audition a guitar. No charge till you say you like it, and if not, you just have to pay for shipping. Lots of demo videos on Youtube.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:37 AM

I personally wouldn't do it because I have played too many high end guitars that just sounded bad. Too much hassle for me to order and send back. I personally need to play before I buy - but that is just me.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:33 PM

Update: I was talked into it, mostly by myself. Thanks for all the input. I placed an order. According to the guy at the store, he said he communicated with Eastman, and it’s going to take 90-100 days to get here. [emoji2359] Based on that, he thinks it will be a brand spanking new guitar. I don’t know about any of that as I don’t know how all that works. But I paid the deposit and now I’m gonna put it out of my mind until I’m told it’s ready for me to pick up.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on ordering your E10SS. I own an E10SS/v, which is the Antique Varnish version (the relic side of it is insignificant, relative to the finish differences), for 2.5 years. I love the build quality and vibe of this guitar, and while my big fingers sometimes fumble with the narrow nut width, it's still worth it. I'm an Eastman fan and own many of their guitars, trading out most of my other collection for Eastmans.

I'm a little late to the discussion, but my experience and advice would echo Tom C. earlier, who would recommend the guitar strongly, as long as (1.) you're ok with the more narrow nut width and (2.) you realize that the sound will not be the same as a J-45.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I'm a little late to the discussion, but my experience and advice would echo Tom C. earlier, who would recommend the guitar strongly, as long as (1.) you're ok with the more narrow nut width and (2.) you realize that the sound will not be the same as a J-45.
Thanks for the advice! I ordered one yesterday and I’m feeling good about it. I’m confident I can get comfortable with the narrower nut width. Maybe not, but I’m taking the chance anyway. As for it sounding the same as a J-45, that’s not my expectation. I zeroed in on the Eastman after reading and watching lots of reviews and comparisons. I found a lot of what you had to say very helpful and encouraging. My expectation is to get a spruce/hog short scale slope shoulder dread with a pleasing sound all its own, well-built from quality materials at a relatively reasonable price. Based on what I’ve heard/read, that’s a reasonable expectation with this particular maker/model!

Old 01-22-2021, 05:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

I haven't posted this is in a while.

This is me playing that same model Eastman directly into a mic, no pickup, with a casein pick. Doesn't get much better.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
If you were me, would you roll the dice and place the order? Based on your experiences, what can you say about the good, bad or ugly of Eastman, and the E10ss in particular?
I did roll the dice on an Eastman E10SS for about 2-3 years and it's a winner. Now the adi top is not that stiff and it sounds ringing, it is really good and has a lot of vintage vibe. Note it is short-scale. But the adi-top will add a little more volumen. However, if you do not like it, send it back. My best recommendations for the E10ss, for me it is a keeper.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I haven't posted this is in a while.

This is me playing that same model Eastman directly into a mic, no pickup, with a casein pick. Doesn't get much better.

Nice singing and playing. My Eastman E10ss sounds just like that. In my ears it has great vintage vibe.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Peter, thanks.

Agree on the Eastman vibe. They're doing some special work across the pond there. These instruments are alive and highly musical. This one gets a lot more playing time than my HD-28.

Funny story. I bought my Eastman about four years ago from a guy on the forum here who has since become a very close friend. He has literally been begging me to buy it back since it left his door. He'll probably be in here in a minute to grouse about it.

Take Care, Peter. Safety & Health to those you love.

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion