The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-17-2021, 08:42 PM

Probably my favorite circa 1960...

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-17-2021, 10:02 PM

Jetco Superflite Thermic B (the kit).

Anything that flew. Mostly Cox-powered, but sometimes Johnson, McCoy, the usual suspects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thermic.jpg (30.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 01-17-2021, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

This thread is a teaching tool for how boys were programmed for a very different expected life experience than the life girls were being programmed for. At least in my experience. Though I did have a bike and a toy piano, which I outgrew very quickly (the toy piano) and my parents got me a real piano to play on. The piano was my main "toy" that I played with, until I was a little older and "stole" my Dad's guitar. I did play outside a lot with friends too,
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-17-2021, 10:29 PM

I had so many great toys as a little kid. I had a cannon that shot out these hard plastic cannon balls. Perfect for annoying sisters! Until they cried to mom and the cannon was confiscated.

I had tinker toys, Lincoln logs, and one of those cool erector sets. Oh and who could forget cap guns!

I'd have to say that my favorite toy was a big yellow Tonka dump truck. Nearly indestructible and made our of heavy gage steel. Those were the days!
Old 01-18-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Probably my favorite circa 1960...

Had that too, forgot all about it...
Old 01-18-2021, 07:06 AM

I had a Crystal Set Radio as a pre teen. It needed no batteries and after attaching one clip to a water pipe and putting the ear piece in the ear, you just moved a fine spring loaded wire around on "magical" crystal and it would tune in a radio station or two. This playing around led to my interest in electronics and a career in Audio Video.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
This thread is a teaching tool for how boys were programmed for a very different expected life experience than the life girls were being programmed for. At least in my experience. Though I did have a bike and a toy piano, which I outgrew very quickly (the toy piano) and my parents got me a real piano to play on. The piano was my main "toy" that I played with, until I was a little older and "stole" my Dad's guitar. I did play outside a lot with friends too,
Hi Karen, great observation. It's not just your experience. As a kid , I had my toy trucks, dinky cars, meccano, baseball, football, hockey, etc. My sister had their barbies, easy bake oven, crafts, etc.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

mid 60s

Maple Leafs vs. Canadiens

Old 01-18-2021, 09:41 AM

It's 1949, and I'm 4yrs old with my Marx windup train.

Two years later it would be replaced with my first Lionel electric set. I still collect Lionel to this day!

Old 01-18-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I got a very cool toy helicopter for Christmas when I was young (1950s) that drove the rotor blades through a flexible cable driven by a crank that I turned. It worked really well for its short life and then broke. I loved it while it worked.

We had a hockey game that I played with my next younger brother a lot. We set up a hockey league and kept track of the games, gave the rotating hockey players names and kept track of their scores.

We had toy six guns, both boys and girls, and did a lot of playing cowboys outdoors. It was good exercise. It's funny with all the playing we did with toy guns as kids that neither my wife or I ever bought toy guns for our kids. Our oldest, our only son, made toy guns out of Legos.

- Glenn
Old 01-18-2021, 10:19 AM

My favorite, and most played with toys, growing up were Lincoln Logs and Matchbox cars. I remember one summer my parents were doing some construction work on our house and there was a pile of soft dirt outside. I spent most of my summer days making roads, digging tunnels, and building log structures. Those were blissful days that I still long for. And when the ice cream truck came by it was even better.
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 01-18-2021, 10:26 AM

Fantastic! I never had one but played one at a friend(s) many times when I was a kid. Do people still buy/play these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
mid 60s

Old 01-18-2021, 10:50 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
mid 60s

Haha! I loved rod hockey games. I had one similar as a kid. Played it a lot. Bought one for our two sons when they were kids. Just loved playing it with them. To this day, they still think they were able to beat me!
Old 01-18-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
mid 60s

Oh yeah! My cousins had one of those. Played it every time we went to their house. Loved that game!

We had the Tru-Action electric football game instead, which wasn't really as much fun. For those that don't remember this one, you turned it on, the top vibrated, and the players "ran" all over the field. You didn't really have much control once it got going, the game was in how you positioned the players to begin each play. It was ok, but the hockey game was way better!

Old 01-18-2021, 04:14 PM

LoL, I just found this on You-tube. We had one of these too... Behold, the Great Garloo!

Garloo was about 2 feet tall, pretty good size compared to a 6-year old in 1962. He did have some skills when it came to wrecking havoc on my HO train setups, but I think it's hilarious that the commercial shows him having tea. A monster yes, but civilized!

---

Last edited by Highroller; 01-18-2021 at 04:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic