The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2021, 06:26 PM

Default Tried disc (frisbee) golf today

and it was fun! Had a beautiful, sunny 60 degree day. Some friends took me out there and we played 18 holes. A new experience for me. My arm is going to be sore tomorrow, but I'll definitely go again if invited.

Out of all the hobbies I've had over the years, this one would be, by far, the cheapest. Courses are in city and state parks, which are free, 4 disc set $40, carry bag $15, bottle of water $1. Total investment $56. Heck, I spend twice that with every string order.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:39 PM

Sounds fun! I need to try that. How long does a round take?
Can’t be as frustrating as regular golf, I’ll bet!

Scott
Old 01-23-2021, 11:10 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I enjoy playing golf. I’ve wondered about this game. Is it like golf in the sense of various pars? How do the hole distances compare? Do some regular golf courses permit this game, leagues on certain days?
Old 01-23-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Sounds fun! I need to try that. How long does a round take?
Can’t be as frustrating as regular golf, I’ll bet!

Scott
Well, with the experience of exactly one outing, and have never played real golf in my life, I can say it is really frustrating. But I tend to look at it more as challenging. Two sides of the same coin I suppose.

I wasn't timing it, but I'm guessing 10 minutes a round? My friends weren't in a particular hurry. They were explaining things as we went along. I suspect it goes much faster for those with experience?

It's nice that it is a "pandemic friendly" activity. Meaning it's outside and we were perfectly able to play the game and maintain social distancing.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I enjoy playing golf. I’ve wondered about this game. Is it like golf in the sense of various pars? How do the hole distances compare? Do some regular golf courses permit this game, leagues on certain days?
Jeez, not really sure. It's scored just like golf. Each hole has a par. Each hole has a different set of challenges. My buddy had an app on his phone that he kept score and used gps to navigate the course. We used different discs, a distance driver, midrange and putter. And we did a lot of walking. That was cool because there was some element of exercise involved. About 8k steps according to my fitbit thing.

The course was set up using trees and wooded areas kind of like sand traps or lakes on a real golf course. Overshoot the basket, for instance, and you get to take your next shot from a briar patch or a creek. Ask me how I know.

Apparently it is a popular sport. There were a lot of folks out playing.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

California culture for the win! Super fun thing to do on a weekend afternoon. Cheap, outside, good fun, accessible to everyone. Great stuff.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
California culture for the win! Super fun thing to do on a weekend afternoon. Cheap, outside, good fun, accessible to everyone. Great stuff.
Agreed though it's been a while since I played.

For more info than you probably even care about regarding the game : https://www.pdga.com
Old 01-24-2021, 06:32 AM

I've played a couple of times but that was nearly 20 years ago. I wasn't a fan although I did enjoy the walking in a scenic area.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:53 AM

NFD! (new frisbee day)! I ordered a starter set.

Only downside is it is a little rough on my throwing hand. As a fingerstyle player, that's not good. I'm guessing a mechanics glove I have in the tool box might be a good thing to bring next time.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:58 AM

There’s a county park just 1/2 mile from my house, and they have a course... It’s ALWAYS in use, even in rather nasty weather. The local frisbee golf enthusiasts are very dedicated!
Old 01-25-2021, 09:53 AM

Me and my friends used to play it in any local park over 40 years ago. No set 'course', we'd just look over an open area, pick an object (tree, basketball basket pole, etc) in the distance and go for it. One frisbee each.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-25-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Me and my friends used to play it in any local park over 40 years ago. No set 'course', we'd just look over an open area, pick an object (tree, basketball basket pole, etc) in the distance and go for it. One frisbee each.
Yep that is what we would do back in the mid to late 60's

Especially when camping and we knew we would be there for a few days . We calculate "par" by throwing as hard and far as we could, then after 4 or 5 or 6 throws, choose the closest object to be the target.... Great fun and free

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-25-2021, 10:55 AM

We can see a city-owned course from our back yard. There are no water hazards or other traps, but each hole requires throwing in a different direction, so wind would be a major factor. I suppose that's the case with "regular" golf as well, but I haven't been on a regular golf course since the early '70s. The disc course was built on a formerly empty field, so maybe they'll introduce impediments like bushes, ponds etc. as time goes on.

It's a pretty popular place. Saturday people were playing in the crusty snow and windy 30 degree temps.

"May you stay forever young."-Dylan
Old 01-25-2021, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

If y'all like frisbee golf, give Fricket a try at your next backyard BBQ.

https://www.backyard.games/outdoor-games/fricket-rules/

Super fun, easy to set up, and anyone can play. You need some Solo beer cups, some PVC piping and a few frisbees. I have a setup stored at the cabin and one at home, it's always a winner. I've introduced it at a couple of companies I've worked at for offsite activities and again, always a huge winner. Try it!

Old 01-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

I played disc golf before disc golf was cool.

My friends and I played it during college in the 80's. There was one course in town and it was a massive state park course.

With the popularity of it, we got our college-age kids a starter set. My daughter and I played that same course over Christmas week. I was terrible. Couldn't play well at all but I remembered how much fun it was and my daughter said she would definitely play it again

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic