The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-06-2020, 07:58 PM

Good to hear from another woodworker on the pathway. Have been trying to follow Grit Laskins' guitar plan from the 3 issue articles in Fine Woodworking magazine. There was a good detailed drawing in the 1st article but since it wasn't a full sized plan I had to use what I could to make layout patterns.

The top bracing has a smaller brace and a thin full width plate instead of a thicker single full width brace. Looking back I think I missed the boat on the bridge plate but for now will have to live with it. The 2 bottom braces per plan.

So far the tap tones sound pretty good but will check again in a few days for the final adjustment if any needed.

Bruce,
Old 12-12-2020, 03:13 AM

Got a little more done the past few days, the first boat of the 3, will do the back tomorrow and have a nice box.

Things seem to be going better since these builds aren't after a 2-3 year gap, easier to remember order of construction, how to do things, and what not to do. Hit 74 this year, think I'm still sharp mentally, but how do you know for sure. A few pics....

Bruce,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat #10001.jpg (31.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg boat #10005.jpg (26.1 KB, 218 views)
Old 12-12-2020, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

My father was the editor for Fine Woodworking from the very beginning (he was the first employee) up until they went full color. Then he moved into other areas of the company before leaving. He is retired now and does wood turning. What issue numbers are the Grit articles in?
I'd be interested in hearing how these sound, Bruce!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankelsey View Post
My father was the editor for Fine Woodworking from the very beginning (he was the first employee) up until they went full color. Then he moved into other areas of the company before leaving. He is retired now and does wood turning. What issue numbers are the Grit articles in?
Morgan - I remember your Dad well! I had a couple or three articles published in FWW and I adored visiting the offices in Newtown.

best,

Rick

PS - I was the guy who wrote the moisture meter article and made the cradle out of cratewood. I guarantee that Dad will remember the moisture meter <LOL>. Please send my best!
Old 12-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankelsey View Post
Small world, must have been interesting to be in on the ground floor of a great enterprise. I think Fine Woodworking and fine Homebuilding must be some of the best work of their kind ever published.

I think the ark of both mags follows a proverbial bell shaped curve, started out slow but good and got better until they peaked with many great issues and the declined to a lessor extent while still good just not great.

Did your father have anything to do with bringing George Frank on board. What a great addition he was, a master refinisher and just about as good of a story teller. He has just about the most detailed article (issue #58- a issue that has an article by Grit on inlay by the way) on French Polishing you could ever find.

The Grit Laskin guitar articles are #1 Nov/Dec 1987 issue #67; #2 Mar/Apr 1988 issue #69; #3 June 1990 issue #82.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
I think the ark of both mags follows a proverbial bell shaped curve, started out slow but good and got better until they peaked with many great issues and the declined to a lessor extent while still good just not great.
I believe that either John (Kelsey) or Paul (Roman(the publisher)) told me that there were only so many topics in the universe and after awhile the cycle would repeat itself, albeit in a slightly different way and form. The reason that I mention this, is that in the guitar world we see the same situation: if you subscribe to a guitar magazine, or for that matter participate in a forum, there are only ‘so many’ topics.

Rick
Old 12-12-2020, 05:35 PM

Rick, good point and so true one does see a lot of repetition not just in these things but in everything.

Back to the guitar works, got the box trimmed out. It's the best one I've done so far. Sides are vertical all the way around not canted out in some places and the box is very symmetrical for the most part. Big improvement over past builds. A few mistakes?, top bracing too thick at kerfing will need higher bindings, most likely a few others I just haven't found them yet. A few pics....some water on back -1st pic. Not the best pics in the world, might have to enroll in the "Mark Hatcher School of Guitar Photography."

Bruce,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box #10001.jpg (31.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg box #10004.jpg (21.9 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg box #10002.jpg (23.3 KB, 207 views)
Old 12-13-2020, 05:27 AM

The work looks very clean and neat, only thing i would say is they are some pretty heavy braces over the sound board area, i would be a little concerned with the top being too stiff.

If your thinking about doing some binding, maybe hold off on the back until its a completed guitar that way you can see how she sounds and maybe measure bridge rotation, removing a back is easy without binding, not so nice when its all bound up

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-13-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I keep my autographed photo from when I met Norm Abrams in my lutherie shop, if that tells you my path to lutherie, also.

I agree with brad, not much translated directly, but indirectly, the attention to detail, knowing how to work with the wood rather than against it, etc, gave a definite head start. Beautiful pics!!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-18-2020, 12:42 AM

Got some work in today on roughing out the necks. Making them out of Spanish Cedar, found some nice stock at local lumber yard.

Made a sled to use with router to rough out the base shape. Need a long router bit to get the job done, not too thrilled with a naked 2 1/2" bit. But with taking small bits and paying strict attention things worked out fairly well. A few pics...

Bruce,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neck jig0001.jpg (33.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg neck jig0002.jpg (31.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg neck jig0003.jpg (29.9 KB, 172 views)
Old 12-18-2020, 04:42 AM

Bruce - I see what you mean about the 2.5 inch router bit. Glad all went well. Now you need to pick up a used cnc!
Old 12-29-2020, 03:58 AM

Got some work done this past few days on 2 of 3 (sounds like a Borg designation 7 of 9) a boat now a box....

Bruce,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat#20002.jpg (24.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg box #20001.jpg (29.3 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg box #20002.jpg (28.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:32 AM

I made a post in this forum about making the same transition from general woodworking to instrument making Although I would definitely be hesitant in how I label my self as a woodworker... I am definitely a hobbyist at best. I do a mix of welding/woodworking to create general goods like furniture and whatnot, but nothing at the professional level.

I am currently looking to take my first step into making instruments. Checking out some kits, plans, etc. Very exciting, but daunting.

Your guitars are really great!
Old 01-24-2021, 03:54 AM

Got a little more work done the past few days, have 2 I guess what they call "In the White." Have a coat of pour fill on for protection now will sand out and recoat later.

Have been having troubles with the bindings, not sure if I would say "I hate binding," maybe because I'm not good at it or I'm not good at because I hate it. Might have to rethink and maybe try some of the methods a few of the builders on this site have shared with us.

Great to have a site where guys who know what they are doing so freely share their hard earned knowledge/skills. A few pics....

Bruce,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg In white0001.jpg (31.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg In white0004.jpg (33.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg In white0005.jpg (36.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

They look great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair