The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-20-2021, 11:45 AM

Default Room treatment material

Seems everyone recommends Owens Corning 703 for homemade standalone noise catchers. I have an extra mattress topper of "high density memory foam." 77×76, 3" thick. Cut up and mounted in wood frames, would this stuff work "pretty well" ? I figure "low density" would be better (bigger holes.) Nevertheless, worth the construction effort?
Thanks.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
Seems everyone recommends Owens Corning 703 for homemade standalone noise catchers. I have an extra mattress topper of "high density memory foam." 77×76, 3" thick. Cut up and mounted in wood frames, would this stuff work "pretty well" ? I figure "low density" would be better (bigger holes.) Nevertheless, worth the construction effort?
Thanks.
No idea, but if you're going to make the effort, why would you not go with what is known to work best?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-20-2021, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

It takes *mass* to treat low frequencies, which is the main reason compressed fiberglass or rockwool are the preferred materials. Whether your foam will work for you depends on what you are recording, and mixing if it's meant to be treatment for a mixing space using monitor speakers.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:02 PM

Memory foam is quite heavy but, I suspect, insufficiently porous to be an effective absorber. It might work ok as a limp mass but why bother, it's much simpler to use the acknowledged 'best' materials for the job. The other issue with memory foam is the construction of the frames, RW3/703 is sufficiently rigid to be self supporting making the frames much simpler to construct. The optimum density mineral wool for ease of use and best absorption is around 60 kg/m3. My frames are extremely simple, just a perimeter of 2' x 1' PAR softwood butt jointed with a couple of screws in each corner, inside dimensions a fraction under sized so a 1200 x 600 mm mineral wool panel stays put inside. cover with suitable fabric and hang em on the wall/ceiling. Happy to post a diagram if it might help.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-20-2021, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks.
"Work pretty well" is kinda subjective. But it does work to some extent, to tame some high frequency zing is about all it does.
Even thought it has been highly promoted as room treatment. IMO foam is the least desirable kind of wide band treatment. And no low density foam will not work better, probably work less well
As others have noted if you're going to the trouble to build wood frames why not just get some Corning 703 , or Roxul Safe and Sound

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-20-2021, 01:15 PM
Guitar Gourmet

What are you hoping to do with your sound treatment? Control the acoustics of the room or isolate it from the outside world?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-20-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

No, you want high density. 'Holes' let the sound go through (and then bounce off whatever is behind them)..

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-20-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
No idea, but if you're going to make the effort, why would you not go with what is known to work best?
Because I already have the material, have never used it for anything, and it is made out of petroleum. I enjoy repurposing products having relatively high carbon footprint, or are not nice to landfills.

Last edited by FrankHS; 01-21-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
What are you hoping to do with your sound treatment? Control the acoustics of the room or isolate it from the outside world?

Bob
To control acoustics for just solo NS guitar recording.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
No, you want high density. 'Holes' let the sound go through (and then bounce off whatever is behind them)..
But even the high-density stuff allows sound waves to pass through. That's what attenuates them. So you need "holes" of a sort. If the sound waves don't go through at all, they are reflected, which is exactly the problem we are trying to prevent.

My guess is that memory foam isn't sufficiently "porous" to attenuate the sound energy like you want. It may absorb some but not nearly as well as the standard panel materials.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
But even the high-density stuff allows sound waves to pass through. That's what attenuates them. So you need "holes" of a sort. If the sound waves don't go through at all, they are reflected, which is exactly the problem we are trying to prevent.

My guess is that memory foam isn't sufficiently "porous" to attenuate the sound energy like you want. It may absorb some but not nearly as well as the standard panel materials.
No, what attenuates the sound is absorption by the material, which actually converts it to heat. More/larger 'holes' (greater porosity) lets the sound waves go through with less absorption.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-21-2021, 05:14 PM

OP:

Foam is a very different substance than fiberglass insulation. There is no comparison.

Use the memory foam to sleep on and use an appropriate material for sound control.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-22-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
OP:

Foam is a very different substance than fiberglass insulation. There is no comparison.

Use the memory foam to sleep on and use an appropriate material for sound control.
Ok, that seems to be the consensus. Thanks everyone!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD