The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-31-2018, 04:20 PM

Default The old adjustable saddle dilemma.

So I just picked up this vintage 1976 made in Japan Morris acoustic guitar with an "adjustable saddle" like this.

Now I love the sound of the guitar as it is but wonder if it could be better if the bridge and saddle were the traditional Martin style bridge/saddle configuration. Meaning that there is just a slot cut in the bridge for the saddle to fit snugly.

Can this adjustable saddle be removed and the bridge be refilled and a slot routed for a new saddle? Has anyone done this? If so how much would such a job cost?

If the cost is more than guitar is worth than I would probably not have it done.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2018, 04:26 PM

Some guys get hold of a salvage Martin style bridge, and cut out a section to fit the cavity left when taking off that revolting hardware. No need to glue - just fit it nicely. . .

Frank Ford
Old 05-31-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Some guys get hold of a salvage Martin style bridge, and cut out a section to fit the cavity left when taking off that revolting hardware. No need to glue - just fit it nicely. . .
Cool so it can be done. There is a guy in town I have in mind to do the job since I don't have the tools or supplies for such an endeavour. I will bring the guitar to him and see what he says it would cost.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 PM

It's pretty standard to do what Mr. Ford describes on 60's Gibson acoustics that came with a similar saddle. I've done a couple, and I don't really do repairs.
et al
Old 06-01-2018, 05:19 AM

fFilled quite a few of those in with wood and routed in a traditional bone saddle. Used to be a common mod but you do not see those saddles like you used to. Wonder why?????

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair