The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-31-2018, 12:24 PM

Default CA and radial purfling

Hey guys, quick question, if I superglue the radial purfling on the bottom of my wood binding, am I going to be able to bend it on a hot pipe without it falling apart, or should I just use woodglue? (the purfling is all wood also) Appreciate it!
Old 05-31-2018, 03:45 PM

i've actually done this without too much trouble on an electric bender. but CA gives off fumes when heated up that might not be too kindly.

ventilation is a good idea. try it out. discovery requires experimentation.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:55 PM

Titebond three holds better under heat and moisture as compared to Original Titebond.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:58 PM

Appreiciate your input. I use TB3 on everything (Gorilla woodglue actually) and do a mortise and tenon bolt-on neck (and CA for a lot of the trim and visual non-structural stuff)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:57 AM

I use Titebond II for this application. Like #3 it stands up to heat and moisture. However, because of its tendency to "cold creep" I wouldn't use it on any joints that will be under tension.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:15 AM

well, the update is I tried super-gluing the purfling and just holding it down for a minute, but it left some gaps, so I stripped it back off of the binding and Wood glued and clamped it and the result is a lot better

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair