The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Default Eastman holds it's own.

I go into G.C. from time to time to play some of the high end Martins & Taylors. Usually I leave pretty disappointed because they all have old strings and all sound sub par. Yesterday I stopped in and to my surprise they had a Martin HD-28 and a Taylor 814CE both with new strings. They both sounded really nice and I enjoyed playing them but if I had to choose between either of them and my Eastman AC-720 or E20-OM I would choose the Eastmans, regardless of cost.

They also had a pristine Martin 000-28EC in a glass display case, that I had never seen there before. It looked beautiful and I really wanted to see if it sounded as good as it looked. I played a few in the past that didn't impress me all that much but again most likely due to old strings. I rounded up a helpful salesperson, he opened the case, handed me the guitar and said "enjoy". I played it for a good 30 minutes and was really impressed. It was set up perfectly, played so easily and had a nice rich tone. With that said, I believe my E20-OM can hold it's own when compared to it. I think if I put some Elixir 80/20 mediums on the Martin, it may have a slight edge and if money was no issue at all I may have chosen the Martin. But considering it cost three times as much as my Eastman and I can't see spending 3G for a guitar at this time, I am really grateful for the great playing, sounding and affordable guitars Eastman is making.

Kurt
Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 AM

I have yet to play an Eastman that I would actually want to own...they just don't do it for me.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Good to hear. Love my Eastman AC412. I had started to dream of upgrading but after your post I feel better with sticking with Eastman.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 AM

I've played only one Eastman. It was an OM model and I was very surprised at how good it sounded. I got to hear one of their mandolins and experienced the same result.
I'm no stranger to outstanding sounding guitars since I own four Collings guitars and a Collings mandolin. Did the Eastman sound as good as any of the Collings guitars I own? No. But it wasn't as far off the mark as I thought it'd be. Based on the particular model I played, they give major bang for the buck. And, playing in a live gig situation, I'm not sure you could tell the difference.

Tom
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 AM

I have played a few Eastman guitars in the past few months.
With all the hype about them I was curious as to just how good they are.
I have played 2 E10D models and 1 E20D.
Of the 3, one of the E10D guitars was far more than I expected.
The other 2 were about what I thought a sub $1000.000 guitar would sound like.
Strings could have been a factor on the sound.

My conclusion was that some of the Eastman guitars sound much better than their price tag while others don't.
Funny thing is that I have played several Martin 000-28EC guitars that
had the same results. A few were fantastic while others were less than stellar.

Eastman makes some guitars that are great values.
Don't over look them when you are looking for a good guitar for around $1000.00 or less.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM

I'm very happy with the AC312 I got a few months ago from Steve at Gianna Violins. Less than five bills. Guitar has an almost invisible finish blem on the neck near the neck/body join but no other issues. Anyone looking to buy an Eastman should check with Steve first to see what he might have in stock.

I had mine set up by Marc Bluett with John Pearse light PB's and I'm very impressed with the sound and playability. Marc said that it is the best sounding Eastman he's had in his shop (no reason to BS me...known him for years. Anyone in the southcentral PA. area should check with him at Bluett Bros. for service. Very reasonable prices and top notch work)

I don't have the $$ for a Martin, etc. so this Eastman was a good find for someone on a budget like myself.

Last edited by RAD3; 11-02-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 AM

The beauty of the guitar is that variable in them.
Some are average,others are outstanding. The last three years I've come to own a few outstanding Eastman's. The shop I buy from carries a good stock of high end Martin and Larrivee guitars.So I've had a chance to sit and compare back and forth with them and the Eastmans. What I've come to find is that to find one the compares and outshines the good Eastman. A good Martin will cost me $1500 to $2500 more. On my budget the Eastman will always win.
Right now I have a E20 OM, E20 P and just aquired one of the new prototype of the slope shoulders that will be coming out next year.
The slope is getting all of my attention right now, feels like I'm driving a nice 50's vintage J45 only with better playabilty.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD3 View Post
I'm very happy with the AC312 I got a few months ago from Steve at Gianna Violins. Less the five bills. Guitar has an almost invisible finish blem on the neck near the neck/body join but no other issues. Anyone looking to buy an Eastman should check with Steve first to see what he might have in stock.

I had mine set up by Marc Bluett with John Pearse light PB's and I'm very impressed with the sound and playability. Marc said that it is the best sounding Eastman he's had in his shop (no reason to BS me...known him for years. Anyone in the southcentral PA. area should check with him at Bluett Bros. for service. Very reasonable prices and top notch work)

I don't have the $$ for a Martin, etc. so this Eastman was a good find for someone on a budget like myself.
Got my AC412 from Steve as well. He did the setup for me at no charge. I just switched to the John Pears light PB's as well and it sure sounds sweet.
Anyone try the JP silk and steel?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 AM

I've tried several Eastmans & my buddy has an AC420. I think they sound great. I just can't get past the chunky & heavily glossed necks. Also, I've seen several with finish issues (ie. - sloppy work by the glue gun guy, ebony partially missing in between a couple frets up the neck, etc.)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Im yet to play an Eastman that I was not impressed with.

With their pricing strategy they will continue to take market share from the American brands, sooner than some might feel comfortable with.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
I've tried several Eastmans & my buddy has an AC420. I think they sound great. I just can't get past the chunky & heavily glossed necks. Also, I've seen several with finish issues (ie. - sloppy work by the glue gun guy, ebony partially missing in between a couple frets up the neck, etc.)
Hmmm.... The neck on my AC312 is anything but "chunky"! It has a fairly low profile "C" shape and is very comfy, for me anyhow. The finish is glossy but I don't find that to be a problem either. Other Eastman players chime in. Maybe the Traditional Series (E models) have a different neck profile?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Hmmm.... The neck on my AC312 is anything but "chunky"! It has a fairly low profile "C" shape and is very comfy, for me anyhow. The finish is glossy but I don't find that to be a problem either. Other Eastman players chime in. Maybe the Traditional Series (E models) have a different neck profile?
I wouldn't consider my AC412 neck chunky either. I like the gloss finish. To each is own.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Nope, no finish issues or chunky neck on either of mine, an E10D and and AJ515. I will say that the lacquer is easily chipped.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I have an AC312 and this matches my view on it. To me, it feels roughly like the dimensions of the typical Taylor.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Hmmm.... The neck on my AC312 is anything but "chunky"! It has a fairly low profile "C" shape and is very comfy, for me anyhow. The finish is glossy but I don't find that to be a problem either.
Same here on my AC420B. No complaints.......

member # 692
Taylor 414CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion