The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-10-2018, 01:34 AM

Default Another vote for using pumice, sparingly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capohk View Post
Just a thought, and not the question asked, but if you are going to FP the finish, why not try pumice as a grain filler as part of your process. Much more forgiving and less toxic that CA and epoxy in my small amount of experience. It's easy to see how well the pores are filling.

MATT
I was going to post the same suggestion. Using pumice with shellac means the pores get filled with a combination of wood dust, pumice and shellac. I steer clear of CA glue for anything other than small repairs. It’s very unpleasant to work with and you could very well end up with a patchy finish.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
Thanks for the reply! What grit of sandpaper?
Depends on the wood, but a reasonable schedule might be 220,320, 400 before a wash coat of shellac to create a base for further finish. When the CA is wiped on in thin, even coats, there shouldn't be big goobers that require anything heavier than 220.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair