The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-02-2018, 01:00 AM

Default Injecting steam through the neck block in the body

Hi everyone, this is my first time to have a neck reset and the patient is my guitar. I had my first build and I did not pay attention to the neck angle, so I forgot to shape the dovetail to make the angle right before install the neck. As a result the neck is sightly bend to the left so I decided to reset it. This is the most challenging neck reset, the dovetail is the Gibson double compound dovetail, which has a tail extend to the part of the top. I managed to have a hole drilled through the heel block and enter the pocket, as it is a unusual way, any risk for doing so? And what precautions have to be done?
Thanks.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:12 AM

Whenever I steam, I have an entrance and exit hole, no point pushing steam into a cavity if it has no where to get out, it causes a pressure build up.

When you have an exit hole, the steam moves through the block, constantly heating and moving

Steaming also just softens the glue, unless it’s hide glue and then the steam dissolves and takes the hide glue with it as it moves through, as the glue softens you want to work the joint, that is bend left, bend right, bend up, bend down, this stretches the gluebond and allows the heat to get further into the join.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair