The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-18-2017, 03:42 PM

Thumbs up

Jamie, looks like a wonderful guitar is taking shape - thank you for letting us join you on the journey!
Old 11-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats on your commission with JK Jamie. Had a chance to audition a couple of his at Woodstock and was duly impressed. He builds some fine instruments.

Beautiful piece for the back. A new tonewood to me. Thanks for the lesson.

I’ll be following along too. This will be fun.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Tom and Mike, yes I am so excited to join the Kinnaird club. Both of you were influential in my decision. Tom, you probably don't know but I am the proud owner of your Koa Pina. I try to take good care of her!

NO I did not know that!!!! Great, that guitar is lovely and the timing of my ownership was just not right, I had a few medical things come up right at that time and needed to let it go. It is so beautiful with all the mammoth ivory, the neck inlay....I really do hope you love it. The live edge koa headstock on that guitar is still my favorite of all time!!!!
Old 11-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Hi Rog, thanks for following! Yes, I know the Fabaceae family well. I was formerly a forester and arborist. That's partly why I am so excited about finding one that was new to me. I was just trying to simplify things for people who may not know the family.
How exciting it must be for a forester to get a guitar made!
Old 11-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
How exciting it must be for a forester to get a guitar made!
Rog, yes it is...trees rock! I have been fascinated with them all my life. But then, I think all of us here are in awe of what incredible things are possible with wood and steel, and amazed that different woods can have such different sonic character, and most of us find it difficult to have just one guitar. I feel very privileged to be able to commission a project like this.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
NO I did not know that!!!! Great, that guitar is lovely and the timing of my ownership was just not right, I had a few medical things come up right at that time and needed to let it go. It is so beautiful with all the mammoth ivory, the neck inlay....I really do hope you love it. The live edge koa headstock on that guitar is still my favorite of all time!!!!
Yes, Tom, Mark Hatcher outdid himself on that one. Every detail of the guitar is perfect. Ironically - is that the right word? - I may need to sell it. I am a little over my skis with new builds coming and I can't keep all of my current stable.

Last edited by Jamiejoon; 11-22-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Removed unrelated personal detail about other guitar
Old 11-19-2017, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Smile Our builds are siblings...

Hey Jamie

John has another custom on the bench for me right now, too! Maple/Cedar, with big bevels and port, and lots of cool design ideas, from John and myself.

I do not believe you can go wrong with a JK! The four I have experienced and the three I own are OUTSTANDING INSTRUMENTS.

Yours will certainly be a sweetheart!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Hey Jamie

John has another custom on the bench for me right now, too! Maple/Cedar, with big bevels and port, and lots of cool design ideas, from John and myself.

I do not believe you can go wrong with a JK! The four I have experienced and the three I own are OUTSTANDING INSTRUMENTS.

Yours will certainly be a sweetheart!
Thanks Paul. I am really excited about this one. I've been holding back with some of the details as John works them out, but I think it will be a champ!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Jamie, congratulations on your commission. Obviously, I'm a fan of my brother's work, and I believe you will be thrilled with the outcome!
And what a cool set of wood... This will be fun to watch.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Hi Jamie, congratulations on your commission. Obviously, I'm a fan of my brother's work, and I believe you will be thrilled with the outcome!
And what a cool set of wood... This will be fun to watch.

Steve
Thanks for following, Steve! I really love your work.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Jamie, looks like a wonderful guitar is taking shape - thank you for letting us join you on the journey!
Hi Andy, thanks for following along!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

I guess this is John Kinnaird laminated sides day! Here is a photo of 5 layers of Spanish Cedar being applied to one side.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:39 AM

So that is a laminated solid Kerfing, not really laminated sides as you wrote, right? If I am lucky enough to be right about that, I am wondering about how wide they are, looking almost like an inch and a quarter wide vs. normal slotted kerfing which always appears about 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 AM

Smile

Second time I've heard someone talk about 'solid kerfing'. Kerfing is the procedure of cutting slots in the linings to make them flexible. The slots are the kerfs so solid kerfing is nonsense. (Good job Howard's not around at the moment. )
This is a laminated (solid) lining and I would guess that the laminations are glued together, but not glued to the side so John can take it off and cut it in half to make two before gluing them in.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Higham View Post
Second time I've heard someone talk about 'solid kerfing'. Kerfing is the procedure of cutting slots in the linings to make them flexible. The slots are the kerfs so solid kerfing is nonsense. (Good job Howard's not around at the moment. )
This is a laminated (solid) lining and I would guess that the laminations are glued together, but not glued to the side so John can take it off and cut it in half to make two before gluing them in.
I believe Dave is correct. For a definitive answer on the function and reasoning, we need Mr. John Kinnaird. If we all gather round and hum an E major chord (like proper Tuvans), perhaps he will manifest.

By the way, have you seen this movie? It's a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_xlbCq0WTw

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop