The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 AM

An Ovation Balladeer about 20 years ago. Purchased mainly for plug and play; it was black and had a shallow bowl, a nice look.

It did the job fine, but I just couldn’t bond with it.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Ovation CC057

Just a dog of a guitar in every way. Was all I could afford at the time and did serve its purpose for about 5 years. I wouldn't even say it sounded good plugged in- pickups have come a long way in 20 years
Old 06-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Most Martins...(Sorry Martin Fans)
Epiphones...Most feel overbuilt
The Seagulls Ive played were soul-less mini-Jumbo-S6-Maritime SWS
A&L AMI cedar top
Gretsch boxcar parlor (Toy like)
Not excited by Taylors as much as I liked the GSmini in redwood and KOA
CORT overbuilt at least the Earth series
The Pacific Coast Eastman guitars

There are more..trust me
Old 06-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Mine was my custom shop Martin J-40. Intended to be a lifetime guitar, it had beautiful wood, wonderful tone, and several build issues. Really - build faults from the custom shop?? These were things like the neck being mounted 1 mm off center in the dovetail, the bridge placed almost 2 mm short of the right position (bad intonation from day one), and one abalone hexagon inlay in the first position that very noticeably did not match the others.

The top split at the center seam about two years in, and Martin adamantly refused to consider any repair under warranty, even though it had been kept under good humidity conditions. (None of my other instruments had any issues, including three other Martin guitars and a Steinway piano). They even refused to admit they had a local authorized repair station, instead wanting me to send it back to Nazareth for a "repair quote" with no assurance that I would get any warranty relief - just a big repair bill. This one also needed a neck reset after about four years. To their credit they eventually covered that neck reset years later, but only after lots of push back - and some rather snotty attitude from them. Things like "...you live in a cold climate, so we will refuse shipment of the guitar until after April 15, and if it not ready by October 1st, return shipping will have to wait until the following spring...". And I could go on.

I'm never buying anything again from CF Martin, not even strings. Look at all the bad will that they created simply by handling a warranty issue poorly. I have probably talked two or three dozen people out of buying new Martin guitars with my story over the years. It would have been cheaper in the long run to simply build me a whole new guitar, and far cheaper to just fix their original screw up. Sheesh.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 AM

A cheap one, a Breedlove Discovery dread. Tried multiple saddle materials, but the thing never blossomed. Uninteresting, lacking, not up to other inexpensive dreads.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 AM

Taylor 214ce
Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 AM

I guess I had a couple of Seagull guitars, a six and a twelve string, and neither of them did anything for me. They weren't a disappointment, necessarily, and frankly if I would have been better at setting them up then they might have really done the job.

But, would I buy a Seagull again? Sure.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Taylor 614 with beautiful 3 piece maple back. Unfortunately it didn't sound anywhere near as good as it looked.

Avalon - nice guitar sound-wise but just too big and the neck was huge.

Best purchase: 2013 Brook Torridge Sitka/mahogany.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 AM

My first guitar I ever bought. A Sigma DR-45.

This guitar looked awesome with cool fretboard inlays and it sounded great when the guy in the shop played it. Man, I really broke the bank to get it, but I had no idea what I was doing. This was LONG before the AGF, so I had nowhere to turn.

I was so excited to finally have a guitar and I couldn't wait to start learning all my favorite songs - but it was nearly impossible to play, the strings cut my fingers to ribbons.

I had no idea what action was, or that guitars could even be adjusted. I just bled a lot, got frustrated and eventually sold it at a loss.

But the fretboard inlays were definitely cool.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
Wow! Was that one of the LA guitar customs? I have one of those and it is one that I will never get rid of. I did however buy a Martin 000-18 from Ted at LA Guitars and it showed up right out of the box with a neck that needed reset. Ted wouldn't do anything about it, so it went back to Martin. They did a beautiful job on the reset, but I still never was wow'ed by it. I love the sound and playability of my Eastman OM so much more that I'm probably going to move the Martin on.
You noticed this right away and he wouldn't take it back? I'd have been pissed.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
Wow! Was that one of the LA guitar customs? I have one of those and it is one that I will never get rid of.
That's because you own MY old OM-15... Yeah, that was a great guitar!

My most disappointing guitar purchase was the Martin OM-28 Authentic. I drank the cool aid, even got a sound sample from the dealer, but after a few weeks just wasn't that impressed. Way too dry sounding and not particularly versatile. And it needed Mediums to sound its best, which is a no-go for me. Sold it after 6 months.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Guest 728

I was pretty disappointed with a recent Republic parlor resonator I bought. It sounded great for a few days, then developed a rattle. When I went to chase it down, I took off the cover plate and cone and looked inside. Bad idea. The thing looked like it had been built without the benefit of tools. By children. Some of whom were apparently blind.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Most Martins...(Sorry Martin Fans)
Epiphones...Most feel overbuilt
The Seagulls Ive played were soul-less mini-Jumbo-S6-Maritime SWS
A&L AMI cedar top
Gretsch boxcar parlor (Toy like)
Not excited by Taylors as much as I liked the GSmini in redwood and KOA
CORT overbuilt at least the Earth series
The Pacific Coast Eastman guitars

There are more..trust me
I'm asking for specific guitars that you actually purchased.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:41 AM

Lowden S23 .Soft frets , soft delicate finish.
Couldn’t get used to the neck .
Part exchanged for a Patrick James Eggle Linville at a considerable loss.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM

I bought a prestige guitar used at gc. From afar and based on specs it was a winner and looked it. It also sounded pretty good in the store, subdued but useable. After considerable inspection and playing, the guitar revealed itself to be an utter mess. All the beauty was just makeup, fit and finish was horrible. It also offered nothing additional in tone. what I heard in the store was really all it could do, almost zero versatility. If you played it soft or loud it sounded exactly the same just different volume. I can see why you don't see them anywhere.

It did have the fishman matrix ellipse system and if all I needed was a live guitar that looked good on stage this would've worked. Of stage one of the most boring guitars ever.

Last edited by erhino41; 06-20-2019 at 11:12 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion