The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I'm actually not a really big fan of bear claw, but something about the look of this particular guitar speaks to me. I've read that bear claw indicates a stiff piece of wood, but all in all, Ted told me that this particular 717 sounds incredible, so I took him at his word and pushed the button.
I had never really ever considered bear claw but there is 317 with and one without bear claw at my local Taylor dealer and I am leaning towards the bear claw because it is uniqueness.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
I had never really ever considered bear claw but there is 317 with and one without bear claw at my local Taylor dealer and I am leaning towards the bear claw because it is uniqueness.
I'd be interested to hear your take on the sound of each. My gut would tell me that they would sound similar and that it would just be an aesthetic issue, but you never know!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear your take on the sound of each. My gut would tell me that they would sound similar and that it would just be an aesthetic issue, but you never know!
Well I played the one without bear claw and loved it. When I put it back I looked at the other but didn't play it. If they still have both when I am able to buy I will A&B them. I am not going to let looks dictate which one I get. I got to sell one before I can buy one so hopefully the one I have up for sale sells soon.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Well I played the one without bear claw and loved it. When I put it back I looked at the other but didn't play it. If they still have both when I am able to buy I will A&B them. I am not going to let looks dictate which one I get. I got to sell one before I can buy one so hopefully the one I have up for sale sells soon.
Roger that.

I imagine that they will sound pretty darn close, but you never know. Honestly, I played a 717 in a shop that blew me away this weekend, so I'm hoping my 717 that's inbound is just as good or better. Problem is that the one in the shop had the ES2 and I don't want to buy guitars with built in electronics anymore, especially the ES system.

If I'd bought the one in the shop, my luck is that Taylor would announce the ES3 system shortly after and ruin the resale value on my guitar. This doesn't matter to most, but I know first hand how difficult it is to sell a Taylor that isn't the current "generation."
Old 06-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My gut would tell me that they'll be real and they'll be spectacular....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
My gut would tell me that they'll be real and they'll be spectacular....
Do you have a GP yet?
Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you have a GP yet?
Yes. I purchased a 317e about a month ago...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Yes. I purchased a 317e about a month ago...
Oh ok cool! I didn't see it in your sig and was just wondering.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:23 AM

Unhappy

Man since I tried those GP's I haven't had much rest... Now I went ahead an ordered a 517 in Wild Honey Burst last tuesday - as they where sold out in our store. It should be here today and I just can't wait to get to playing it! I asked for it yesterday and my boss tracked the shipment down and said that it should come today...

Unfortunately my anticipation has gotten me to play more and more acoustic guitar during the last week to the point where my fingertips are quite sore already before receiving it... Normally I play mainly electric.

Still, I hope to play that thing today as the next few days won't present me with much time to play again before monday.

Oh, the joy!!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanAnd View Post
Man since I tried those GP's I haven't had much rest... Now I went ahead an ordered a 517 in Wild Honey Burst last tuesday - as they where sold out in our store. It should be here today and I just can't wait to get to playing it! I asked for it yesterday and my boss tracked the shipment down and said that it should come today...

Unfortunately my anticipation has gotten me to play more and more acoustic guitar during the last week to the point where my fingertips are quite sore already before receiving it... Normally I play mainly electric.

Still, I hope to play that thing today as the next few days won't present me with much time to play again before monday.

Oh, the joy!!

Very interested to hear your opinion of it! Congrats and enjoy it!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM

Default Any Grand Pacific Owners Around Here???

Allan- You'll love that 517 for sure. I have played them, and strange as it may seem, i think they sound better than the 717! And the WHB looks awesome i think. Keep us posted!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Allan- You'll love that 517 for sure. I have played them, and strange as it may seem, i think they sound better than the 717! And the WHB looks awesome i think. Keep us posted!
I Think so, too... Before I could shell out the cash we had both models in the store and I much prefered the 517... Actually I started out thinking about the 317 but the premium features of the BE’s won me over - later I also came to prefer the sounds of the 517, but it was sold out before i made my move.

... And... There was a Taylor in the mail for our shop today - only it wasn’t mine...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion