The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 06:36 AM

Well, most of the time I play a Gibson AJ, whatever that is called. With a 351 shaped pick, whatever that is called.

(Hey Scott: Do you remember the joke about standing on a ledge? "I don't have a fear of heights. I have a fear of widths.")
Old 06-21-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
My secret is I bought a new Martin DSS-15m mahogany slope. After gigging it last night I’m afraid to admit I like it more than guitars I have costing well over twice the price...

Thumbs up on the slopes.
You need not be afraid to say the new slope shoulder pleases you and you like it more that the high priced spread.

I believe there us too much assumption that spending more, maybe twice as much, gets you a guitar that is automatically better. Besides, better is SO subjective.

I wish I could afford the 15 slope right now. I would buy one.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Well, most of the time I play a Gibson AJ, whatever that is called. With a 351 shaped pick, whatever that is called.

(Hey Scott: Do you remember the joke about standing on a ledge? "I don't have a fear of heights. I have a fear of widths.")
Nick, yeah, I love that one too.

Wright has such a bizarre. Really love his stuff, but glad I don't live in that brain.

A few more:

"I have two rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car. The other is a picture of Norman Rockwell beating up a child."

"There's a small difference between fishing and standing on the short looking like an idiot."

"I have a large seashell collection that I keep scattered on the beaches of the world. Maybe you've seen it."

"I took a lie detector test. No I didn't."
Old 08-24-2019, 10:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
C'mon. Scott, y'all're just funnin' us, ain't ya? Then again, I love Gibson round-shouldered jumbos (dreadnoughts), and can most certainly understand your enthusiasm! Think early Bob Dylan and his Gibson J-50 and you know what I mean.
Ken, it still seems to be considered the "singer-songwriter" guitar, especially for solo performers. Not sure how that got started, but that seems to be the impression out there.

scott memmer
Old 08-25-2019, 06:02 AM

I always assumed slope shoulders came from builders who couldn't figure out how to get any more bend from the side woods. :-)

When I'm shopping I'm listening to sound, I hardly notice the shape.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 AM

I have both shapes and LOVE both!! My Slope D is a little more comfortable to play while sitting, but that’s the only difference I notice.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-25-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I've been a big fan of slope shoulder Gibsons for many years. J-45, J-15, wm45. Those are the ones I have the most experience with, and I really like all of them.

I almost bought a used wm45 last month at the Music Outlet in Pigeon Forge, Tn...What a great guitar. I simply did not need it or I would have bought it in a second. Of course need and want are two different things entirely, so I exited the area with a bit of expediency.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I have both shapes and LOVE both!! My Slope D is a little more comfortable to play while sitting, but that’s the only difference I notice.
I love my square-shouldered dreads, but I do find my round-shouldered guitars suit me better for fingerstyle. Maybe just me.

scott memmer
Old 08-26-2019, 07:39 AM

My secret?

Well, as a Martin lover my entire life, I currently own two Taylor Grand Pacifics. My only Martin is a Dread Jr. It will be a couple years until I'm able to buy another guitar since I am going back to school, but I'm thinking about getting a D-35 on my 35th birthday 2 years from now.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Everyone should have ss at some point. There's just something right about the tone that grabs you.
Yep, I own one of those "pool noodles" as someone called it. A J-45 Studio. It is my first Gibson acoustic and it is not a true jumbo because the body is about 3/4" shallower than a full size. I absolutely love it. I can't comfortably play a full thickness dread any more, so this really hit the spot.

The tone is indeed different to my Martin's, Eastman's and Breedlove. Different is not bad though. I love the tone though and the playability has made it the guitar that gets played the most. I also like that it just feels sturdier than a Martin. The same with my Eastman guitars. Not really heavy (but heavier than the Martins) but it just feels sturdier.

I like that since both of my Martins are less than 5 years old and my 000-18 neck has already been reset and looks like it needs it again and my OM-15m needs one now, according to my local authorized tech. So for me, sturdier is better. I love the light, lively feel of the Martins, but my experience with their durability has not been good. Both of them have never been played out and are strung with Martin SP lifespans in light.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
My secret?

Well, as a Martin lover my entire life, I currently own two Taylor Grand Pacifics. My only Martin is a Dread Jr. It will be a couple years until I'm able to buy another guitar since I am going back to school, but I'm thinking about getting a D-35 on my 35th birthday 2 years from now.
Nice birthday present. Mine is coming up in April.

sm
Old 09-06-2019, 01:41 PM

Little off the Gibson/Martin Track:
New Era Crooked Star (Tony Klassen is the Builder) Round Shoulder Euphonon (based on the Larson Brothers built Euphonons from the 30's):

2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 09-06-2019, 02:33 PM

Zombie thread lives.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:13 AM

No one mentions the great slope shoulder dread from Larrivee; The SD50, spruce, mahogony 12 fret with slotted headstock... Isn't that a pity
I happen to own one since 2011. It's such a loud,but also a very sweet guitar.
Mainly use it for fingerpicking, but you can use it for strumming and flatpicking just as well. For me the dream came through with this Larrivee......
Old 09-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I know, I know, it's sacrilege -- especially where I live, here in SoCal.

I was raised by Martin Nazis, in the backyard of CSNY and Joni Mitchell. Dude, I didn't even KNOW Gibson made flattops till about 15 years; that's how stupid I am. And here I am, all these years later, having forsaken and renounced the square-shoulder propagandists all around me. Having seen -- finally and forever -- the light (er, dark).

Dare I share my secret? Dare you share yours?

sm
I think you mean "Jumbo" not "dread" (unless you are talking about the original 12 fret dread style which I play).

Do you prefer a Ford Corvette or a Chevrolet Mustang?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion