The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Welcome, Air Sign. It's not that Eastman had production problems. They made some truly outstanding instruments throughout their early years. But there were two common complaints: (1.) actual measurements didn't always match the specs and could vary from instrument to instrument and (2.) their nitro finish was fragile and subject to checking / crazing. These weren't widespread, per se, but common enough to get called out. Both of those issues are ancient history for several years now. All of my Eastman guitars are 2016 or newer, and spot-on in fit, finish, and build quality.

If the guitar you're looking at sounds good and plays fine, then don't hesitate based on the age or it being a discontinued model. If you have the serial number (and it's less than 10 years old), then you can email Eastman for the date it passed through their US shop in Pomona. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Welcome, Air Sign. It's not that Eastman had production problems. They made some truly outstanding instruments throughout their early years. But there were two common complaints: (1.) actual measurements didn't always match the specs and could vary from instrument to instrument and (2.) their nitro finish was fragile and subject to checking / crazing. These weren't widespread, per se, but common enough to get called out. Both of those issues are ancient history for several years now. All of my Eastman guitars are 2016 or newer, and spot-on in fit, finish, and build quality.

If the guitar you're looking at sounds good and plays fine, then don't hesitate based on the age or it being a discontinued model. If you have the serial number (and it's less than 10 years old), then you can email Eastman for the date it passed through their US shop in Pomona. Good luck!
As you know, Vida, I'm blessed to have Eastman in my back yard -- literally an hour's drive door to door. I've been there at least a half dozen times in the last two years, and they use our picks in their custom shop for testing and fine-tuning their top acoustic models. To say this is humbling would be an understatement.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that these are very committed and serious people. They really believe it what they're doing and it shows in the stellar instruments they bring to market.

As we've discussed in the past, PV, and what most folks may not know about Eastman, is that from day one to the present they handcraft their guitars the old-world way. I'm certain they must use CNC for their rough cuts, but the rest of the way down the line, from what I understand -- all the shaping, sanding, planing, buffing, etc. -- is done by hand. As more knowledgeable people than I have noted, Eastman guitars are thus boutique instruments at reasonable prices. That's why there's such a buzz around this company, and it's also why they've made a serious dent in a short amount of time in a very mature market. It's quite remarkable.

Okay, I sound like a commercial. But they're just dang good guitars.

scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 06-15-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

I first heard about Eastmans here on AGF, about five years ago. Their E-10SS is a real stunner, and I just recorded a studio MP3 on my OM-40, which really rocks.

Quite the company.

scott memmer
Old 08-18-2019, 12:38 PM

got two ac322ce and a 622ce
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 08-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
As you know, Vida, I'm blessed to have Eastman in my back yard -- literally an hour's drive door to door. I've been there at least a half dozen times in the last two years, and they use our picks in their custom shop for testing and fine-tuning their top acoustic models. To say this is humbling would be an understatement.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that these are very committed and serious people. They really believe it what they're doing and it shows in the stellar instruments they bring to market.

As we've discussed in the past, PV, and what most folks may not know about Eastman, is that from day one to the present they handcraft their guitars the old-world way. I'm certain they must use CNC for their rough cuts, but the rest of the way down the line, from what I understand -- all the shaping, sanding, planing, buffing, etc. -- is done by hand. As more knowledgeable people than I have noted, Eastman guitars are thus boutique instruments at reasonable prices. That's why there's such a buzz around this company, and it's also why they've made a serious dent in a short amount of time in a very mature market. It's quite remarkable.

Okay, I sound like a commercial. But they're just dang good guitars.

scott
Scott, I can attest to Eastman quality and value as I have an Eastman WL-1 Whyte Laydie 5-String Banjo which is a copy of an extant 1903 A.C. Fairbanks Whyte Laydie No. 2. I purchased mine from Bernunzio Uptown Music, here in Rochester, New York, and it was John Bernunzio, in collaboration with Eastman that brought this reproduction instrument to the modern era. Below, is Michelle Younger, Eastman School Of Music, Masters in classical guitar, and former employee of Bernunzio Uptown Music, playing her Eastman WL-1 Whyte Laydie 5-String Banjo during the 2013 Rochester Best Busker Contest. Michelle is now with Harpeth Rising.

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-18-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Scott, I can attest to Eastman quality and value as I have an Eastman WL-1 Whyte Laydie 5-String Banjo which is a copy of an extant 1903 A.C. Fairbanks Whyte Laydie No. 2. I purchased mine from Bernunzio Uptown Music, here in Rochester, New York, and it was John Bernunzio, in collaboration with Eastman that brought this reproduction instrument to the modern era. Below, is Michelle Younger, Eastman School Of Music, Masters in classical guitar, and former employee of Bernunzio Uptown Music, playing her Eastman WL-1 Whyte Laydie 5-String Banjo during the 2013 Rochester Best Busker Contest. Michelle is now with Harpeth Rising.

Ken, hiya. I was unaware they ever made banjos. Thanks for sharing. Are they still doing that?

sm
Old 08-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ken, hiya. I was unaware they ever made banjos. Thanks for sharing. Are they still doing that?

sm
Yes, Eastman is still making the Eastman WL-1 Whyte Laydie and it's the only banjo offered by Eastman Strings. Bernunzio Uptown Music has several in stock, all new, but some have slightly blemished finishes at a nice discount.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-24-2019, 03:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, Eastman is still making the Eastman WL-1 Whyte Laydie and it's the only banjo offered by Eastman Strings. Bernunzio Uptown Music has several in stock, all new, but some have slightly blemished finishes at a nice discount.
Ken, I promise hold it against you that like banjos. Honest. We've been friends so long, I'm willing to overlook it. And I don't do this for just anyone.

sm
Old 08-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... Below, is Michelle Younger, Eastman School Of Music, Masters in classical guitar...
In the early 1970s I lived in Rochester, NY with my D-35. The Eastman School of Music is the professional school of music of the University of Rochester. Now I also have an Eastman E20-OM.
So is there a connection between Eastman guitars and the Eastman School of Music?
Old 08-24-2019, 08:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
In the early 1970s I lived in Rochester, NY with my D-35. The Eastman School of Music is the professional school of music of the University of Rochester. Now I also have an Eastman E20-OM.
So is there a connection between Eastman guitars and the Eastman School of Music?
Vintage, I don't believe there is any connection. Eastman was started by a Chinese immigrant attending a university here in the States (I believe Harvard) about twenty years ago. The original company was called Eastman Strings and just manufactured and imported high-quality strings for violin, viola, cello, etc.,. into the U.S. About a dozen years ago they began their guitar foray with archtops.

scott memmer
Old 08-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Qian Ni is the founder of Eastman and attended Boston University's School of Music. As you mention, they began with stringed instruments and expanded into other classical instruments (they recently purchased a high end flute company). Moving into archtop guitars was a natural progression, since they were so proficient at voicing stringed instruments like violins and cellos. Since moving into flattop acoustic and electric guitars, they've really stepped up their game. The quality and consistency has greatly improved, even though the instruments are still hand-crafted.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Qian Ni is the founder of Eastman and attended Boston University's School of Music. As you mention, they began with stringed instruments and expanded into other classical instruments (they recently purchased a high end flute company). Moving into archtop guitars was a natural progression, since they were so proficient at voicing stringed instruments like violins and cellos. Since moving into flattop acoustic and electric guitars, they've really stepped up their game. The quality and consistency has greatly improved, even though the instruments are still hand-crafted.
Vida, thanks. I can't think of a single guitar company out there that has as many high-quality acoustic guitars under $2000. Maybe, in a slightly different vein, Yamaha.

My Two Cents,
Scott
Old 09-16-2019, 04:21 AM

Default Eastman Guitars: Reflections of an Eastman Owner, Three Years In

Quote:
Vida, thanks. I can't think of a single guitar company out there that has as many high-quality acoustic guitars under $2000. Maybe, in a slightly different vein, Yamaha.

My Two Cents,

Scott

Agree 100%. They are unique, I wonder if other Chinese manufacturers will follow suit using Eastman as their model? I would love to see a Chinese ‘big three’ or four at the same sort of quality/price point as Eastman. Obviously Eastman have a rich history and a big head start but there is always room for a ‘Taylor’ to come along and push the standards ever upwards.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 09-16-2019, 07:27 AM

I've owned a few and they have all been excellent. The E1SS-LTD I picked up recently is just on another level tho...
Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
I've owned a few and they have all been excellent. The E1SS-LTD I picked up recently is just on another level tho...
I just played an e1p-ltd over the weekend what a fantastic 12 fretter they have made.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion