The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Default Crossroads 00

I bought a used 2015 00 Crossroads and
I love this guitar.

It has a dry, woody tone without too much sustain
and overtones—like my Collings OM1A-T has.
So, it’s a great guitar for Blues.
The short scale neck has noticibly lower
string tension. Very different feel and sound
than a standard length neck.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Now that the thread is over 2 years old, I would be interested in who still has their H&D. I know I won’t be selling mine.
My H&D's are keepers.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhockenbury View Post
My H&D's are keepers.
Mine's not going anywhere either!
Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 AM

Am a fan! Love my Pilgrim. Some nice swag came with the warranty registration form too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6F6494C-911B-438B-9F04-A3D808FFE227.jpg (44.6 KB, 143 views)
Old 05-18-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Jones View Post
My buddy who owns LaBella strings made me some silk and Monel strings for it.
Any chance you can get him to add those to their catalogue? I'm volunteering to test a sample or 2

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-18-2020, 03:19 PM

HEY I just bought a brand Crossroads over the weekend ! It should be here on Thursday, I was going to post another thread here about -What do you do with new arrivals with this Covid going around? should I leave it in the box ,or spray the box with Lysol?
Old 05-18-2020, 03:23 PM

00-SP Adi over RW

Love this guitar. And the folks at H&D have always been extremely helpful and gracious.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:26 PM

Mine is a TOM-R. Very nice guitar that beat out some heavy hitters in the shop.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
HEY I just bought a brand Crossroads over the weekend ! It should be here on Thursday, I was going to post another thread here about -What do you do with new arrivals with this Covid going around? should I leave it in the box ,or spray the box with Lysol?
I seriously would leave it in the box for at least 24 hours (same kind of patience required as one shipped in the dead of winter). Cardboard is thought to harbor the virus no more than that. Then you maybe consider how long it's been enroute from the seller. The longest duration of any surface as far as allowing the virus to stay alive is 72 hours on plastic or stainless steel. And it's thought that the virus would be weakening considerably during those last hours.

Good luck. You're gonna love that Crossroads !!

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

As I posted a couple days ago, my 000 SP custom from the Guitar Center is incoming on Thursday. Very excited.
Had a nice chat with Jeff Huss this morning about the guitar. While they do not have build sheets, he told me that the custom features were largely cosmetic - abalone rosette and fret board snowflakes. But the original owner also upgraded to Waverly 4075 tuners. I have these on my Froggy Bottom, and they work very well. Woods are Sitka and EIR. No torrification.
They are still operating with a crew. But it doesn't sound easy. It would have been discourteous to press the point. Will post baby pics.
David
Old 05-18-2020, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

String-wise, what are y'all liking with these lightly built guitars. An H&D player on my other thread suggest the 10-40 Thomastic's. I have never played such light strings. Closest I got was Elixer Nanowebs - 11-53 - on a 000-40 RE Custom Larrivee. Not good for me. Sounded quite anemic. When I mentioned that I use Sunbeams (12-54), the same fellow said he tried them without satisfaction. Have to say that 10's on a short scale neck just sounds like cheating....
Thanks.
David
Old 05-18-2020, 09:13 PM

Haven't gotten around to making the NGD post...but TD-R custom owner as of this weekend. It came with EXP17s and I love the sound of it. I hope they last a decent amount of time (I know they won't last as long as Elixirs, but if I can get a month or more I'll be happy).

I'll still experiment with a few other brands once these need changing, but I now have a reference tone in my head for what I consider nearly perfect. I guess I'm just hunting for "perfecter" but content in the knowledge that if I fail, I know exactly what string goes well with the TD-R.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 05-19-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I have a T-00 14 that is hands down the best sounding, best built guitar I have owned. Sadly, I have it listed in the classifieds for sale ONLY to help fund the purchase of a Huss and Dalton 000 12 fret.

Every H&D I have ever seen and or played has blown me away in both tone and quality. Superior guitars IMHO.

Thomastik AC111 strings are amazing on this guitar! I put on a set of GHS 80/20 Bronze which sound good, but I prefer the Thomastik.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
String-wise, what are y'all liking with these lightly built guitars. An H&D player on my other thread suggest the 10-40 Thomastic's. I have never played such light strings. Closest I got was Elixer Nanowebs - 11-53 - on a 000-40 RE Custom Larrivee. Not good for me. Sounded quite anemic. When I mentioned that I use Sunbeams (12-54), the same fellow said he tried them without satisfaction. Have to say that 10's on a short scale neck just sounds like cheating....
Thanks.
David
David, one thing I don't think we asked in the other thread is, what is your playing style? One thing I've always been struck by with my OM-C is that the guitar simply doesn't "top out," no matter how hard I play. Even if I'm thrashing it with a flatpick, it always feels like it could go a little louder if I wanted it to, whereas both of my Martins (both 12-fretters) start sounding a little squashed if I really lean into them.

I would not put anything heavier than lights on mine, but lights are plenty, and they play beautifully. If you want to experiment with lighter strings on yours, I bet you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:37 AM

Even though this is an old thread, it's a good one. I have a TOM-R custom. Adirondack top, Brazilian back and sides. I purchased it used at a Guitar Center about 3 years ago. I couldn't believe it when I saw it hanging on the wall. It is my main instrument. I play mostly fingerstyle and this does the job well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion