The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Default how many huss and dalton guitar owners out there

I have a huss and Dalton 00 sp Engelmann and rosewood back and sides a.what strings do you use .I'm liking mine more and more as it gets playing time.I just would really tell everyone to try one .
Taylor mini Koa,
huss and Dalton 00 sp Engelmann and rosewood back and sides
Felix preamp
Aer compact 60/3
Fishman loadbox performer
bose s1 pro
Old 02-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I have owned two. The first was a 00-SP, engelmann over rosewood just like yours. Mine was a burst finish. Very nice guitar.

Currently own a MJC in cedar over rosewood. Also very nice although currently on sale in the classifieds. Looking for a mahogany model.

H&D make great guitars.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 AM

I have a T-0014, Sitka over Hog. A fine guitar that punches way above its weight. It's extremely comfortable to play and, not being a fan of chunky necks, I find their necks to be just right. I would not hesitate to get another H&D guitar...
Old 02-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I've got a Huss and Dalton CM model that is my favorite of all the guitars in my collection.

It's my #1 go-to.

I've played a few other models owned by other folks and every one was a fine crafted beautiful sounding instrument.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-13-2017, 12:14 PM

I've had two H&D guitars: a T0014 (thermo cured Adi over Mahogany) and I currently have a TOM-M custom (Italian spruce over Mahogany).

The TOM-M is new so I'm still enjoying the D'Addario PB lights (EXP coated) that came with it from the shop. I don't ordinarily use D'Addarios but these sound pretty sweet so they're staying on for a while. At some point I'll try my old standby John Pearse PB lights and also the Santa Cruz Guitar Co. Parabolic strings (lights). It'll be fun to hear the differences.

My T-0014 sounded pretty good with the John Pearse PB lights but REALLY warmed up with the Santa Cruz Parabolic lights. Those strings rounded out the tone from the small body very nicely. If you haven't tried them - I'd recommend it.

Good luck and have fun with that H&D.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:30 PM

I own one, a custom 00 with Engelman sunburst and Indian rosewood back and sides. Wider neck, herringbone purling and a 12 fret. Very resonate and gets played mainly for fingerstyle stuff.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I love H&D guitars. I had a 00-SP that I parted with because I also had a standard 00 and I thought that the two were redundant despite one being rosewood and the other, mahogany. I still have the mahogany 00 Standard and it's an amazing guitar with volume and richness well beyond what its size would lead you to believe. I also have a Crossroads that's another great guitar, especially for blues.

Huss & Dalton makes fantastic guitars. Prices have crept up over time, as you'd expect but they're well worth it in my judgment.

Last edited by devellis; 06-09-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Very true, I was lucky enough to buy mine used and so I got it for around $2500. last year.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:46 PM

I've got one, a TOM-R Torrefied Red Spruce. It's a very nice guitar.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM

I had a custome TOM-r that was one of the best sounding guitars I have owned. If it wasn't for the narrower string spacing I never would have let it go.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM

I've a couple - both TD-R 45's

One Brazilian/Adi, one Honduran Rosewood/Sitka
Medium or Bluegrass strings, usually either 80/20's or PB's.

Probably either be buried with them or have the rosette on my casket made out of the woods.

Last edited by Montesdad; 01-02-2018 at 05:37 PM. Reason: delete photobucket pics - - -
Old 02-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I have two: a 2002 custom OM and a 2004 MJC, the latter of which used to belong to Mary Chapin Carpenter. I've owned both instruments for over a decade now and use them almost exclusively as my performance instruments.

In my opinion, I think the instruments built at H&D are among the best in the world. There are only 6 or 7 luthiers there and they only produce around 250 guitars a year.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I own one. It's an 00 Crossroads and it is superb. It's very well made, has and outstanding tone and is very easy to play. I love this guitar. I bought it after buying a Waterloo and while I still own and like both, the H&D is my clear favorite with a broader range for my taste. H&D provides great customer service too.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Count me in... I'm a big fan of H&D! Nice folks, great customer service and superbly-crafted guitars. I have owned two, but I'm now down to one... a custom all-Mahogany 00 beauty. Last time I looked, they still had a picture of the underneath side of my hog top on their website.

I usually use D'Addario PB 11s, but I'll also throw on 80/20s sometimes to add variety. This guitar will be with me for all of my days...
Old 02-13-2017, 06:04 PM

I've owned four H&D guitars. Never had an issue with any and loved each one. The one I have kept is the first one I bought, a standard TD-R. It is Sitka and Indian Rosewood. Nothing special...but the sound. I've played against adi TD-R's, numerous Martins, etc. Many I liked but I keep going back to my Hussy. My buddy who owns LaBella strings made me some silk and Monel strings for it. Now I like it even more. I have other guitars but this is the one I keep going back too. It's not going anywhere.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion