The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-25-2023, 08:11 AM

Default Johnny Shines Talks About His Life, Robert Johnson, and the Blues (HD Audio)

I've just posted the 80-minute audio of my interview with bluesman Johnny Shines, who speaks about his life in the blues and travels with Robert Johnson. Our conversation took place in a rural farmhouse outside of Watsonville, California, in 1989. About ten minutes into the interview I handed Johnny the "dime store" photograph of Robert Johnson smoking a cigarette, which had just been made public. It was the first time Johnny had seen it, and after staring intently at it awhile, he confirmed that this was, in fact, a photo of the man he knew. A transcription of our wide-ranging conversation was published in the March/April ’90 issue of Living Blues. Johnny passed away two years later on April 20, 1992.

Here’s the audio of our interview:

https://jasobrecht.substack.com/p/jo...about-his-life

Hope you enjoy it!

#johnnyshines #robertjohnson #chicagoblues #deltablues #countryblues #jasobrecht #talkingguitar
Old 03-26-2023, 04:34 PM

Thanks for posting this, I plan to listen to it as soon as I can.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN