The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM

Default What fixes 2nd fret buzzing?

about to take it to get a set up tomorrow, but rather save the money if it's something really simple. What causes 2nd fret buzzing, well the most common? Truss rod? if so, how would I be able to fix it, thanks. I already put new strings on it and it still buzzes.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 AM

Sounds like a high fret...

I've had inexpensive guitars with a bump in the neck that caused isolated fret buzz, but hopefully your guitar is too nice for that...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Truss rod adjustment is not a panacea, and in fact, an improper adjust may damage the guitar. It could also be that the frets themselves are uneven. Taking it to a reputable repair shop is the right thing to do.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 AM

Default buzzing

In my experience, buzzing that is isolated to one fret is usually indicative of a high or mis-radiused fret. If it has a bound fretboard it's common for the ends of the frets to work themselves upward with temperature and humidity changes since the tangs of the frets would be undercut to accomodate the binding. If it is not a bound fretboard, it could be just mis-shaped. Taking it to a savvy luthier would be the best bet. This is of course only speculation witout seeing the instrument.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 AM

Does it buzz when played open?

What frets does it buzz on?

When does it not buzz, at what point on the neck?

What is the action height at the 12th fret of the offending string?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:12 AM

Default What fixes 2nd fret buzzing?

Capo on the 3rd fret and just play your songs in a higher key now.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:01 PM

Because it's the 2nd fret, I will say that I have experienced truss rods that crest around the 2nd-3rd fret and can be responsible for the buzzing right there, if that's a hot spot. Releasing the rod a bit could relax that 1-3 fret area just enough that it goes away. But as always, isolated fret noise is most likely attributed to that particular fret (low) or one or two ahead (high)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM

If it's not a new guitar, maybe a worn fret? Lot of open chords use the second fret. Really better to let someone look it over in person and evaluate something like that.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 chord View Post
Does it buzz when played open?

What frets does it buzz on?

When does it not buzz, at what point on the neck?

What is the action height at the 12th fret of the offending string?
2nd fret when Im pressing the strings

Its only the 2nd fret that buzzes

Im not sure but it fits a quarter with maybe like .1mm of space above the quarter
Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the replies, does anyone know if its easy to replace a fret by my self? no guitar experience but I can do anything if I take my time enough and treat it with the utmost care. Where would I even get a new fret? make one my self?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Don't try to replace a fret yourself - get a short straightedge, and lay it across the first three frets, and see if the second fret is high or not. You can buy a tool called a fret rocker, but for a quick check you may be able to use a credit card. If its a little bit high, you might try tapping (gently!!) it down with a hard plastic or wood mallet. But finding a good guitar tech would be a much better idea.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 AM

It really depends on the type of buzz. If it's really bad buzzing where the note is actually deadened and sounds very slappy, you likely have a fret issue.

But the most common cause of buzzing on the second fret is usually related to the straightness of the neck. In my experience, 95/100 guitars have some buzzing between the 1st-3rd fret if the note is played hard enough.

Lastly, brand new strings are always very buzzy. I suggest you play the strings in for a few hours a day for the next week and see if it buzzes after.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair