The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 PM

I am always fascinated by the perennial references on these threads about this mysterious "oil " which supposedly emanates (apparently) from the fingertips of some players to the extent that it actually serves to lubricate the fretboard .

If my fingertips oozed some kind of secretion to that extent, I would be seeking the advice of a competent dermatologist ...and fast ...
Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedora View Post
Depends on where you plan on shoving that fingerboard.
This is the best answer I've ever encountered. Yes - where are you shoving that fretboard?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM

I use finger-eaze when I'm done to clean the strings, never before I play. I clean and oilthe boards with guitar honey about every 6 months.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 PM

In 20 years I have never used or needed anything on a fretboard. The guitars have not exploded, yet...
1998 Taylor 814ce

Last edited by PreWarMartin; 04-09-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM

Finger-Eaze is horrible stuff. If you're using this or any other lube for playing, you are truly barking up the wrong tree. Of course, If I'm wrong just keep on using it.

My goodness - I got over finger-Eaze when I was 16.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
There's no need to feed ebony (or maple)-it's too dense to absorb anything. Rosewood might need cleaning a couple of times a year, and I use lemon oil for that. Aside from that there's more than enough oil in your skin chemistry without buying into hype.
It does not need anything.... but is incorrect to say unfinished ebony is too dense to absorb anything. A new ebony fingerboard will certainly absorb fret doctor or bore oil. You can watch it soak right in. First application takes only a few minutes to completely disappear. Sparingly repeat every few years is enough. Too much could loosen frets or cause swelling of the wood( from too much soaking in).

--Dan (with dry old non-oily hands).
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I am always fascinated by the perennial references on these threads about this mysterious "oil " which supposedly emanates (apparently) from the fingertips of some players to the extent that it actually serves to lubricate the fretboard .

If my fingertips oozed some kind of secretion to that extent, I would be seeking the advice of a competent dermatologist ...and fast ...
Well, not oozing, but residual. Have you ever left fingerprints on a shiny surface such as a mirror? with daily guitar playing, it only takes a miniscule amount. No, it does not give the effect of lemon oil for example. It's most likely akin to the same 'mysterious' oil that causes women to go powder their noses to get the sheen off.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM

Where are Mythbusters when ya need 'em?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Perennially Maladroit

I use to boil all my guitar strings in linseed oil before putting them on the guitar. Whilst the strings were boiling away, I would apply a thick layer of paraffin wax to the entire fretboard, being sure to get every nook & cranny. Almost like frosting a fretted cake!

Before stringing up the guitar, I would then coat the strings with Rope-Eez™—a synthetic industrial chain & wire rope lubricant until the dern things are just about impossible to hold onto!

My fingers would glide incredibly over the strings—we're talking REAL string science® here!

If it weren't for that terrible accident involving a hot pellet stove and several martinis, I'd probably still be using this fretboard lubrication process.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 PM

I have always had problems with acidic residue from my fingers on tools I use. Those I use often show signs of corrosion quite soon after regular use. I've noticed that my strings do the same turning black on those used most often and I'd guess become more likely to break. The stuff I'm using seems to neutralise the acid. Any other advantage, real or imagined seems reasonable to me. I can't see a major problem? Just my opinion you understand.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Finger-Eaze is horrible stuff. If you're using this or any other lube for playing, you are truly barking up the wrong tree. Of course, If I'm wrong just keep on using it.

My goodness - I got over finger-Eaze when I was 16.
I'm curious as to why y'all think Finger-Ease is so bad. I use it once in a while, especially before a long gig or practice, to keep my fingers from getting sore. I'm not buying the "attracts gunk" argument (at least not without more explanation), so what is it?

Last edited by kak1154; 04-09-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak1154 View Post
I'm curious as to why y'all think Finger-Ease is so bad. I use it once in a while, especially before a long gig or practice, to keep my fingers from getting sore. I'm not buying the "attracts gunk" argument (at least not without more explanation), so what is it?
I was a bit baffled by all the negative comments. I've used Finger Ease prior to long gigs and will keep using it.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 AM

In the summer when it`s really humid I will use Fast Frets but other than that a nice rub down before and after playing with a clean cotton cloth will do.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM

In 40+ years of playing acoustic guitar, until recently, I'd never even considered oiling or conditioning fretboards, all of which have been ebony except a D-18 I had in the '70s. And never the slightest issue. I simply keep my fingerboards clean by wiping down at each string change, sometimes using 0000 steel wool lightly with the grain.

But in the last year, I've purchased two guitars with rosewood board/bridge and wanted to darken them slightly without dyeing. After testing several different products on a piece of rosewood I had from doing repairs, I ended up using Fret Doctor on both guitars and it's done a great job of darkening and bringing out the beauty of the wood without any buildup/pooling or stickiness. Good stuff, but I plan to use it sparingly, maybe twice a year. It's been a while and the boards/bridges still look great...and darker.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
Well, not oozing, but residual. Have you ever left fingerprints on a shiny surface such as a mirror? with daily guitar playing, it only takes a miniscule amount. No, it does not give the effect of lemon oil for example. It's most likely akin to the same 'mysterious' oil that causes women to go powder their noses to get the sheen off.
Ah now, nose oil, that's a different thing altogether.

In my apprentice days, (long ago) the old journeyman responsible for showing me the ropes used to run his burnisher (aka "ticketer") up and down his nose prior to turning a burr on his cabinet scraper. He maintained it gave just the right amount of lubrication to prevent "galling" of the edge of the scraper.

It sure worked for him ...alas...my nose was never that greasy, far less my fingertips, so I just used to (and still do) wipe my burnisher on a rag soaked in 3 in 1 oil.

Nowadays, for my fretboards ...Fret Doctor ...twice a year.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair