The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM

I think both your bridge and fretboard are Brazilian Rosewood. How did it smell when you sanded it?

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 11-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I think both your bridge and fretboard are Brazilian Rosewood. How did it smell when you sanded it?
It has a slightly sweet perfumy smell.
Goya GG-161 1971 Model
“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ― Aristophanes
Old 11-06-2011, 02:46 PM

She's all finished, polished up, new strings, and ready to play. It sounds pretty darn good after all she's been through the last few days.

Got my nut files in from Stew Mac yesterday, so I set the action at the nut.

I made an error in compensation for the neck reset. I should have allowed another extra 1/32" for when the strings are back on and tuned up.

The straight edge strikes the corner of the bridge shelf about 1/32" lower than being right on target. Maybe I'll be better equipped next time.

The outside of the joint where it meets the body has a little gap, but the inside of the joint fits up very nicely. The bridge re-glue is secure, and there are no buzzes.

I have 4/32" action at the 12th fret on the low e 6th string, and 3/32" action at the 12th fret on the high e 1st string. Not too bad. It is still a little difficult for me to play. Fat fingers are the problem at this point. I'll have to learn better fingering techniques to play this one.

Who knows, I might sell it to get my money out and invest in something a little better to work on.

Thanks for everyone's help on this project, especially Gitnoob.

It's been a great learning experience!

Here are the final pictures.

Goya GG-161 1971 Model
“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ― Aristophanes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair