The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-27-2010, 09:24 AM

Default My First Build!! - Curly Redwood/"Cloudy" Cocobolo

Here is my first build ever. I've been debating whether to start a build thread here on AGF as the thought of doing so is fairly daunting. I'm 23 and this will be my first project, and posting it on a website where people ranging from skilled private luthiers to master professional craftsman converse on a daily basis can be intimidating. However, I've decided to go ahead with it, and have developed a mantra of sorts which I hope will help me through the entire process: "I will do my best, and I will take my time." I will be buying tools and supplies as I go along, as I am on a limited budget. One thing which i decided a long time ago not to scrimp on, however, was the wood for the top, back and sides. Over the next month or two I'm planning on getting enough things together to get rolling, in the mean time I will continue to post some drawings and design ideas for the guitar.

Now on to matters which people may actually care about. Here are the initial specs, subjects of course to change as the process unfolds:

Top: Curly Redwood
B&S: Cocobolo Rosewood
Body: Jumbo (w/ deeper body than standard)
Binding: Curly Koa
Neck: Honduran Mahogany
Nut Width: 1 7/8"
Fingerboard: Ziricote

Misc.: BWB Purfling, green abalone heart heastock inlay, Ziplflex green abalone heart/wood (TBD) rosette, no fingerboard inlays, gold frets, gold waverly tuners w/ ebony buttons, flamed koa end wedge and back graft, ebony headstock overlay, ebony bridge, ebony pins w/abalone dots, bone nut and saddle, slightly scalloped x-braced top, ladder braced back, oval shoulder soundport

Here are a few photos, first the Curly Redwood top:

And the "Cloudy" Cocobolo Rosewood back and sides:

This is a design idea for the headstock (note that the "M" inlay has been scrapped, its way to bulky):

And here is my "design studio":

A few references I will be using as I go along are William Cumpiano's guitarmaking bible, Steve Summerford's build blog, various internet resources and of course a number of build threads and other discussions from here at AGF. Hopefully I will have some more material to post soon....

1960s Gibson Hummingbird
Regal Black Lightning Resonator
etc.

Last edited by Savashchi; 05-01-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: No longer baritone build
Old 03-27-2010, 11:10 AM
happiness

That's some spectacular wood you have there! I like your headstock design too. I look forward to seeing your guitar take shape

Fliss
Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM

I think it's a great idea, with nice wood and a good plan. I started mine with no more than you have, and it came out pretty good. 'Course it was a Stewmac kit, so I didn't have to do all the really hard work like carving a neck or bending sides. I've found the Luthiers here to be very supportive of someone starting out. Luckily I have one here in town, Stephen Kinnaird, who I bounced ideas off of, and who looked at the "almost" finish product and didn't break out in laughter!! Actually he was tremendously helpful thru the whole process. I'm sure you'll find the same thing with the other pros on here.
Bill Cory, who runs the Kit Guitar Forum, once told me that his forum was a "no ego zone". And I took it to heart. Whenever I had a problem, even if it seemed stupid to do so, I asked for help. Mistakes were made throughout the build..........even messed up the finish when it was completely done and had to redo some of it.
Go for it. Have fun. Learn. And get better with each one you build.
Best of luck.
Bob
Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM

As Fliss said, those are some nice woods you have. Congrats on moving forward with your first build, especially a Baritone with a slotted head - somewhat unique I would think.

I'm also doing my first build, an EIR/Sinker Redwood 00-14. I have bent and joined the sides, inlaid the rosette, cut out the top pattern and marked it off for bracing. I'll be working on the bracing next week - I only spend an hour or two a week on it, definitely taking my time and enjoying the process.

Its my "experimental" guitar as I'm trying some ideas like a non-traditional top bracing layout, and a pinless bridge inspired by a Kevin Clark A-Wedge that I used to own. I'll also be taking a shot at both a lower bout and back waist mini bevels as well as a sound port.

I don't have any expectations other than it.. 1) does not implode when I string it up and 2) makes a sound that vaguely resembles a guitar!

Aloha,

Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 03-28-2010, 02:03 AM

that is some amazing looking wood!!

I LOVE that coco.....

don't be afraid to ask as you go along
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:08 AM

Stunning wood. The Redwood is going to make a great looking top but that Cocobolo is just stunning ... perfectly bookmatched.

Did you ever think about using something 'not so pretty' for your first build?
Make sure you continue posting pics throughout the build process.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 AM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I'm looking forward to this thread already! My initial thought some time ago was to build a 000 12-fret w/ Sitka Spruce and EIR, but the more I went through the process of brainstorming and starting to accumulate knowledge on the topic (albiet mostly "book smarts" so far) I decided I wanted my first build to be special, and using some striking woods was one way to accomplish that. I think I've put some extra pressure on myself by doing that as I don't feel there's alot of room for error, but in the end maybe nothing risked is nothing gained (I may be taking those words back if I do a little errant cutting or routing

Fliss, I'm following your parlor restoration, and that is a beautiful old guitar you have. There's something about those guitars being designed to be a persons best friend, always out of the case and close at hand.

Hen, that sounds like a great set-up your working on. I can't imagine a much more comfortable guitar to play than a 00-14 with front and back bevels. Do you have any pictures of your progress so far?

Matt

1960s Gibson Hummingbird
etc.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savashchi View Post
Hen, that sounds like a great set-up your working on. I can't imagine a much more comfortable guitar to play than a 00-14 with front and back bevels. Do you have any pictures of your progress so far?

Matt
Hi Matt,

Got a couple..I don't remember to take pics while I'm building. Haven't decided about starting a build thread, but if I do I'll post them.

Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 PM

I received the back and sides today in the mail (top came a few days ago). The company I bought the B&S from kindly threw in a complementary matching Cocobolo bridge blank and headstock overlay set!!! (Please see my blog link below if you are interested in the company, I didn't want to post the name here as I'm not sure about the rule on that). Talk about good service, I'll definitely buy from them on future builds. Here are the two pieces, as well as a drawing for the bridge. The light in my apartment is really bad, and my flash is giving me problems so it is hard to make out the design. Unfortunately the bridge blank isn't large enough to do a one-piece with this design, however I have a couple ideas for working with this. Like I was told as a kid, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

1960s Gibson Hummingbird
etc.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:57 AM

why the D extension?

OK, for the LOOK, but there is no need for it to be a ningle piece of wood. as it's not the full height of the bridge I'd use an offcut from the back for that bit.

well, no, I wouldn't add the extra weight to the top because it'll kill the bass response, but you know what I mean!!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:12 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Wow - those are great looking wood sets. I'm pulling up a chair for this one.

JR
Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 PM

I too will be watching this build!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:14 AM

love those sappy back and sides. amazing! I'm bookmarking your supplier as well. Very nice of them to throw in something extra and with wood like that- a definite good source. I'm a huge fan of sapwood and those are simply stunning!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnuuhiwa View Post
As Fliss said, those are some nice woods you have. Congrats on moving forward with your first build, especially a Baritone with a slotted head - somewhat unique I would think.

I'm also doing my first build, an EIR/Sinker Redwood 00-14. I have bent and joined the sides, inlaid the rosette, cut out the top pattern and marked it off for bracing. I'll be working on the bracing next week - I only spend an hour or two a week on it, definitely taking my time and enjoying the process.

Its my "experimental" guitar as I'm trying some ideas like a non-traditional top bracing layout, and a pinless bridge inspired by a Kevin Clark A-Wedge that I used to own. I'll also be taking a shot at both a lower bout and back waist mini bevels as well as a sound port.

I don't have any expectations other than it.. 1) does not implode when I string it up and 2) makes a sound that vaguely resembles a guitar!

Aloha,

Hen
Let me join the chorus: very nice woods indeed... and congratulations on getting things going in this direction! I believe most guitar addicts want - at some point - to build their own guitar(s)...

Hen,

Can I please get a place in your build schedule - I'd like to get a strummer...
Old 04-17-2010, 04:06 PM

Default Rough Outline

Here is the rough outline for the guitar, bridge placement is correct however the soundhole location was just eyeballed for perspective, i'll probably move it back towards the bridge a bit. Next up is laying out the bracing scheme, then I'll get the materials to make my template, and this thing may start taking shape. I've been really busy with other things lately and haven't had much time to mess with this project. Oh also I'm going to scrap the baritone idea, and make this a 14 fret, 25.5" scale. Also I'm considering getting a pre-made neck from Hanalei Moon to save alot time, and ensure a good fit. Besides, they have some awesome options.

The body design for this is inspired by two designs: most prominently, Simon Fay's "Modern OM" style, which although I've never had the opportunity to get my hands on one, they are beautiful guitars. The second is Taylor's GS series, which are dynamic, great sounding guitars. The main difference here is that the body is extended, and slightly widened. I haven't decided on the depth for this guitar yet, but here are the dimensions visible below:

Upper Bout: 11-7/8"
Waist: 10-3/16"
Lower Bout: 16-1/4"

1960s Gibson Hummingbird
etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair