The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiFeStArTs@40 View Post
The D-16 IS a lot more money than what I paid for the D-1. I actually went to Elderly to buy a used DM (as is) and liked the D-1 better. For those that don't know, Elderly has a great repair shop and one of the techs there told me they really don't care for the DM's and the DR's. They tend to have more problems down the road due to their light bracing and it's their light bracing that gives them great tone right out of the box. He told me that the D-1's are much better built (for now) and ARE basically a D-16 with a stratabond neck.

Obviously, I bought my D-1 with my ears and not with my eyes or some spec sheet. For anyone interested, Elderly still has the used DM. It could use a good set up, a weeks worth of humidifying, and some strings, but its in GREAT condition and would make a nice guitar.
Was that a full gloss D-16 or a gloss-topped D-16GT. I haven't come across a full gloss mahogany D-16 but my local shop has a full-gloss D-16R and yeah, it's pretty pricey. I'd be looking at used 28's in that range. Meanwhile, I've actually been rather impressed by the mostly-satin D-16GT and D-16RGT. Both are nearly half the price of their full-gloss brethren and not that much above the 1 series, really.

FWIW, I don't mean to sound like I hate the new 1 series. It's just that Martin did a lot of line shuffling in order to make it happen as well as keeping the company afloat and eliminating models they felt either weren't in demand or were in direct competition with the 1 series. I used to be averse to the 16 series because of the micarta thing, but now that I've played a few I've changed my tune.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Default Martin D1

My Martin D1 is from 1998. The new versions are ok,
but they being the next generation are not the same.
Stratabond is ok but i feel Imho, they should be finished
as i find the playing rough and "sandpaper" like.
Ive heard it said you dont pick your guitar it picks you.
This one called me away from a Guild i was testing.
I was saving a Christmas club and in the mean time i
was trying all i could find in the 1ooo$ range while waiting. Five minutes in, i knew the D1 was "IT"!
It was so light when i picked it up, which i look for.
Then a strum and the warmth of the sound was incredible! The action was low the way i like. 6 months
later when the check came i was waiting at the store at
7am they opened at 8am! The owner arrived at 730 and
said come on in i know youve been waiting:O)
Bottom line since 1998 this guitar has REALLY matured!
Rings like a BELL! One strum and the Walls rattle!
Amazing! If you can find one from that era i would very
highly reccomend it! Its been a fine Companion!!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:18 AM

Default bump, Getting first Martin soon gen1 DC-1E

Found a nice US made DC-1E, and from the serial no. was made in 1997. Was wondering why even though it's a cutaway it still has D-1E on the ID plate on the neck block? Strings look like they are 10 years old at least and the case is shredded -has lots of the tolex missing.

Has a small repaired split on the top and another small one on the back. (no humidifier) Otherwise in nice shape. Put down payment on it and selling a couple of guitars, a Takamine (sold) and an Ovation Anniversary to finance purchase.

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100
Old 12-12-2014, 07:23 AM

Default My First Martin

Picked up my first Martin last night. 1997 DC-1E from our local shop. She's seen a lot of playing which I like, a small top crack had been repaired nicely and some little dings here and there. Dressed the frets a bit and put a set of Peavey PB Mississippi 13's (the shop threw them in) on her.

Played it all night, LOL.

BTW, the plaq inside does say, "DC-1E" didn't have my reading glasses.

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100
Old 06-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Default Wonderful discovery

I bought my Martin D1 from a craigslist listing. A singer-songwriter decided to thin out his guitar collection. He was willing to bring it to my band's gig for me to see and play. A couple of strums and I was sold. The $400 price tag made for an easy and quick decision. It's a simple instrument, well-built in Pennsylvania with all-solid wood in the bout. But what I like most is the Stratabond low-oval neck. With its low action setup, it's my easiest guitar to play. It's not my best-sounding Martin, but it still sounds great. The guitar is lightweight, too. The previous owner purchased the guitar new back in 2009 when the model was re-introduced, so it has some decent age to it. My Martin D1 is now my first-choice gigging guitar. I'm fortunate to have found it.
  • 2009 Martin D1
  • 2017 Eastman E20SS
  • 2017 Eastman E100ss-LTD
  • 1969 Mosrite Serenade (acoustic)
  • 2016 Gold Tone Banjo
  • 2018 Guild Jumbo Junior Acoustic Bass
  • 2017 Hadean U-Bass
  • Oscar Schmidt OU55CE Ukulele
Old 06-18-2019, 12:36 PM

I've had a D-1 since the 90's, it was one of those earlier models with the solid top and back, and the laminate sides with the mahogany neck. I've played that guitar more than any other, it was my first real guitar.

The neck started pulling away from the body, and I finally got it glued back down. Turns out it didn't need a full reset or anything.

I played it as is for a while, but it kind of doesn't compete with some of my later acoustics, in my opinion. So I decided to put it in Nashville tuning so that it can continue to be a recording guitar for me.

It's the one acoustic that I would never get rid of. Too sentimental.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion