The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Default are there any demigods out there that can play dave evans songs?

aside from "steppenwolf", which has had a tab readily available for years, I can't figure out any of his stuff. he uses weird tunings and without knowing the tuning, trying to figure a song out is painfully frustrating to the point that I give up. I am wondering if any of you guys may have learned a song or two, or even just a tuning to one of his songs, that you wish to share.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:33 PM

Are you talking about Dave Evans the banjo player? If so, I've never noticed any funny tunings in his songs. He might use a drop D tuning on some or maybe he is using banjo tuning, tuning the guitar to open G. Not heard all of his stuff but what I've heard has been pretty straight.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:45 PM

Not Dave Evans, but Dale Evans -

Happy Trails to You
Until we meet again. ...

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfriend View Post
Are you talking about Dave Evans the banjo player? If so, I've never noticed any funny tunings in his songs. He might use a drop D tuning on some or maybe he is using banjo tuning, tuning the guitar to open G. Not heard all of his stuff but what I've heard has been pretty straight.
no friend, I speak of one of my favorite guitarists

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqTLkgImAdU

here is a video of him doing one of his numbers; "stagefright". he quit making music professionally so he could build guitars, many years ago. check out "sad pig dance" if you want a stellar fingerstyle album. if you are a fan of bruce cockburn, you will love this guy.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:10 PM

well what do you know? i just found a few more utube clips. I can't believe I didn't think of searching youtube before
Old 07-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Not exactly my prefered style of music, but that man has talent! He can really play that thing. That is one odd looking guitar though, wonder if that is what he builds?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 PM

The linked video is a DADGAD tuning, I believe.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:39 PM

A few years ago I was playing Jessica and Greyhills, I have to relearn them a little now !
Jessica is in CGDGBE and Greyhills in CGDGAD. I believe I had the tabs. I have also the tab booklet that came with Sad Pig Dance (LP version). It's just a tab without rythm, no music notation, you have to listen the tune to figure the rythm. I can provide scans of this booklet; send me a pm if interested.

Tadmania is right, Stagefright is played in DADGAD.

On the youtube video, Dave is playing the guitar he had built. As far as I know most of his recordings were made with this guitar. He built also a harp-guitar for Pierre Bensusan, there's a pic on Pierre's guitars webpage :
http://www.pierrebensusan.com/module...owpage&pid=158

Now Dave Evans lives in Belgium, he's no longer recording and he makes ceramics and ... manages a brewery. Here is the guitar related page on his website :
http://users.swing.be/devans/Lutherie.htm

Nicolas.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
A few years ago I was playing Jessica and Greyhills, I have to relearn them a little now !
Jessica is in CGDGBE and Greyhills in CGDGAD. I believe I had the tabs. I have also the tab booklet that came with Sad Pig Dance (LP version). It's just a tab without rythm, no music notation, you have to listen the tune to figure the rythm. I can provide scans of this booklet; send me a pm if interested.

Tadmania is right, Stagefright is played in DADGAD.

On the youtube video, Dave is playing the guitar he had built. As far as I know most of his recordings were made with this guitar. He built also a harp-guitar for Pierre Bensusan, there's a pic on Pierre's guitars webpage :
http://www.pierrebensusan.com/module...owpage&pid=158

Now Dave Evans lives in Belgium, he's no longer recording and he makes ceramics and ... manages a brewery. Here is the guitar related page on his website :
http://users.swing.be/devans/Lutherie.htm

Nicolas.
1) I love dave evans to the point that it hurts.
2) hot, I didn't think dave woudl resort to such an easy tuning, you would think I would have given it a go before, but, you guys guessed it right! this is going to take me a while, but when I am done, this is going to be tabbed out for the good of mankind
3) it breaks my heart that dave doesn't record albums anymore. he is on a short lost of people I MUST meet before they die. I actually wanted to have him build me a guitar, but the interwebs proved fruitless when I tried to find, so I gave up all hope.
4) thanks for the response! I _really_ appreciate it!

Last edited by rlouie; 02-04-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:32 PM

the man is pretty great and every once in a while you can here his Page influences....
Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Hey Riverman, I'm always looking for posts on Dave Evans and luckily stumbled across this forum post!

How are you getting on with Stagefright? I've put a few covers I made of Dave Evans on Youtube, have a look if you like:

http://www.youtube.com/user/themachinist1000

There's a cover of Stagefright on there and I have the tab if you need it

Sean
Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 PM

Another tuning Mr Evans is fond of is C G D G Bb D - used for The Sad Pig Dance, Braziliana, Now Is The Time, and Grey Lady Morning to name a few.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
the man is pretty great and every once in a while you can here his Page influences....
He was his own man-before Page,if anything.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:07 AM

Hi - I play a few Dave Evans tunes - I could video them if you like.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:08 AM

Easiest way to reach me is [email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write