The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2016, 02:54 PM

Comparing apples and oranges here.....if you want an acoustic electric then that is what a Tak is built for ( excellent , easy to tune in sound). If you want an excellent "acoustic" guitar, not so much. I prefer an old Ovation for a plugged in sound ( same deal, plugged in it's great, unplugged, not so much).For stage performers, they are heavier built, tougher finish and more maintenance free than Martin, Taylor (fill in your brand here). Pick your preferred use and buy accordingly.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:42 AM

Default Noledog has it right on page 2

With questions like this you get opinions primarily, facts are secondary to the process of finding your sonic preference, but I agree with Noledog. He is a great player and he has shown how a Tak can sing.
I have two Taks and I play my cedar/Koa as much as any of my guitars. I don't amplify, as a rule, either, since I play only for myself. The cedar mellows the Koa perfectly, and I am enchanted by the sound. More than that, it transports me when I play it, to guitar heaven. As a player, I prefer a wider nut, like on my Martin, but the sound is so good on the Koa that these are my two favorites of the instruments that I keep in their cases, so they come out to play all the time. Fit and finish of the Koa are dazzling. Perfect. I think it was 1700 new and worth every penny. It would have been 1000 more as a Taylor. And it would not have sounded better. In fact I have compared it to a solid Koa Taylor and preferred my Tak acoustically. Warmer, richer. Again, opinions, so maybe it's just me and my tin ear, but this guitar soothes me with its sound.
I will say that the cheaper Taks do not move me at all. I don't mean to sound like a snob. I simply much prefer the Mexican Martins or the 100 Taylors to any of the bargain Taks I have played, though these may be a couple of hundred more expensive. Still, a Big Baby is in my opinion better than a cheap Tak acoustically. My two cents.

Martin D-35 50th Anniversary Limited Edition
Taylor 814
Taylor DN5--Engelman top, tropical mahogany
Taylor 412ce—LTD maple
Giannini Classical 1960s vintage
Taylor GS Mini
Old 05-08-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysam View Post
Comparing apples and oranges here.....if you want an acoustic electric then that is what a Tak is built for ( excellent , easy to tune in sound). If you want an excellent "acoustic" guitar, not so much. I prefer an old Ovation for a plugged in sound ( same deal, plugged in it's great, unplugged, not so much).For stage performers, they are heavier built, tougher finish and more maintenance free than Martin, Taylor (fill in your brand here). Pick your preferred use and buy accordingly.
Do you actually know this or are you simply voicing an impression you've picked up from others? I ask this because unless you've bought a higher end Tak or you've lived in a country outside the US, you aren't going to get an opportunity to play them. Same goes with Yamaha. The US Walmart guitar stores are only interested in cheap Taks and Yammies. They reserve the high end room for the Big Three.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Okay now I regret selling my P4DC. It did have a sweet sound unplugged just not very loud, plugged in it was amazing.

Thanks noledog for your review.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone-Idle View Post
I've had a cedar/mahogany Japanese built Takamine for about 18 years and I love it. Played acoustically, it sounds great, but it sounds a million dollars when plugged in - it's my gigging guitar of choice. The finish is flawless - better than my Martin, in fact.
Really? I have a PT-508: I really like the acoustic sound, but the plugged in sound has been a struggle to get right.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:11 AM

Was suggested that you take a look at you is using them. Here is just a few off the top, Garth Brooks, Bruce Springsteen, Blake Shelton, Kenny Chesney, Glen Frey, Jon Bon Jovi.

Last December I bought my Takamine GJ72CE 12 string. Didn't have price range in mind. Looked at Martin, Taylor, Alvarez, Breedlove just to name a few but the decision was for the Tak.

This past March I was in the market for a 6 string. I was ready to spend $1000+. Looked at the same brands listed above. Once again it was a Takamine. This time the GD93.

I have 2 acoustic electrics. One of which is the 12 string. I have only plugged it in once and it was phenomenal.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 AM

I asked for and received a Takamine P3DC for Christmas.
I don’t particularly care for Martin guitars. They generally do not suit my style of play.
But I’ve played tons of them, and Taylors too.
My P3DC is every bit as well constructed as a 5-series Taylor.
Interestingly enough, it sounds amazing, but for “warmth” my Yairi is the better sounding guitar.
They are virtual equals plugged in.

Unlike some, I prefer barn door preamps. I like the adjustability over the Expression system. I can plug and play, but I have some fine tuning adjustability.
I also have a “cheap” G-series. A big Jumbo 12-string.
It was easy on the wallet, but it holds its own plugged in and unplugged with most guitars up to about three times what I paid. I do wish the neck was satin finished. But it is a very good instrument.

It seems “fashionable” to bash on affordable guitars. Even though the bar for “affordable” has gotten quite high.
You will spend a lot more than I did on my P3DC to equal its quality. More still to beat it.
I love quality guitars. I just don’t love spending big money to get quality.

Remember some very good players that could play anything they want choose to play Takamine.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I think of Tak's a great stage guitars with good fit and finish. Unplugged they are not usually the best sounding guitar in the room. They are a little bit 'overbuilt' compared to higher end Martins and Taylors, which (IMHO) is why they work so well on stage. If you really want a guitar for great amplified sound with limited feedback you actually don't want a lightly built / highly resonant guitar.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM

like all other brands - their are various levels of performance and sound -
if you buy a cheaper low end model - lower level of build quality , plywood etc.
you will get a low level beginner guitar.
On the other hand ( know this about the brand )
some of their top tier stuff is nice - ( but their not my cup of tea )
Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 AM

The Japan made Takamines rank up there with Japan built Yamahas and other brands, or with U.S. and European built guitars. Their China built guitars are comparable to other China built guitars. As always, you get what you pay for (mostly). If I was in the market for a 2K guitar I would seriously consider them.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

* See my post #27... still as relevant today years later after this thread began. I've owned a few more Pro Taks since and remain standing by their outstanding quality, consistency, workmanship and tone; both unplugged & amplified.

** My current P3NC is so lovely and lively unplugged and is a beast amplified. It is my co-sentinel to my beloved KC70 which is my all-time fav. The NEX body is a perfect blend of OM and Dread. Great thump, presence, balance and sustain. Warm, articulate, responsive and never brash.

*** My third guitar is a D18 that is everything I want in a Martin dread. tho apples and oranges tonally to my Taks, I can say again as I did in my original post, that the quality workmanship in the many MIJ Tak's I've owned have edged out that of the two standard Martins I've own/owned (my D18 & 000-18 Retro) in terms of binding, clean work inside, neck angle, etc... This is my hands on years of experience with both these brands that I prefer. I love the D18 and played many and they are very consistent in tone but lack a bit on the workmanship... I've re-glued my binding in a few areas. Unplugged sustain and warmth goes to Tak, volume and ring to my Martin, and tone is lovely on both in their own unique way.

**** MIJ Tak's rank easily with the big three in every aspect, however, they each excel in certain models over the other according to one's preference and style. For example; I prefer Tak's satin finished Cedar over Sapele OM vs the Martin 000-18 I had; yet I prefer a Martin D28 over Tak's P7 spruce/eir offering. I'm not big on Taylor's signature tone, however, I like what Taylor does in their all-hog models as well as their older 514 and GS body. But prefer the Tak Palathetic system over Taylor's ES2 any day... jus' my 2 cents plus another nickel LOL!

eric

Last edited by noledog; 06-10-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:49 PM

One of the best Taks that I have play was the first run of the Steve Warner Signature model.

https://reverb.com/item/469260-takam...-model-sw341sc
Old 06-18-2020, 11:53 AM

Just purchased one today. Takamine GN90CE-ZC. Absolutely beautiful and plays like butter. Love it. Scroll down to see pics.

https://jimtall32.wixsite.com/islandbrothers/news
Old 06-18-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaborex View Post
Just purchased one today. Takamine GN90CE-ZC. Absolutely beautiful and plays like butter. Love it. Scroll down to see pics.

https://jimtall32.wixsite.com/islandbrothers/news
Congrats! That’s a good looking Tak.

I’m still loving my new GB7C. It definitely disproves the forum myth that Taks are only good plugged in.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:36 PM

This thing sounds brilliant either way. It plays like an electric. I gave up on acoustics because I never had one as smooth as this. they always hurt my fingers. This one is different. A million miles different.

Regards

Kaborex

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion