The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2019, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schau_ins_Regal View Post
Both the GS mini and the Little Martin don´t fulfill airline requirements for hand luggage. However you can easily take the neck from the GS mini off, it´s body will fit into a bag which dimensions are within those requirements.
Newer regulations allow for stringed instruments to be carried on. I've travelled with a gs-mini frequently and a GA a few times and have always been able to carry-on; but there is no guarantee of course, and a connecting flight with tight timing adds risk of getting on and finding no space. I also wouldn't count on a jumbo or dread fitting in some or maybe any overheads. When I plan on carrying-on a guitar I: 1) always pay for early boarding to ensure there will be overhead space available when I board; 2) carry the FAA regs with me (but I've never needed to show them to anyone); 3) don't try it on flights with tight connecting flights or small aircraft (it's just not worth it). I've considered (and should get) a hard case for the mini in case the unexpected happens. I'd hate to see that soft bag go into the cargo hold. BTW, i think the following quote from the regs show how much the FAA wants to accommodate stringed instrument owners (and avoid cargo hold disasters): " it is sometimes possible to secure them to a seat as 'seat baggage' or 'cargo in passenger cabin'....”. If they're willing to allow them to go onto an empty seat, they're really trying to help.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I have been carrying a GS Mini on planes for the last year. I pay for early boarding and have had no problem storing it in the overhead in full sized jets. The two hassles are gate checks on smaller planes and keeping some idiot from trying stuff a wheelie on the Mini's neck (not as easily seen if you are a short idiot). I have gate checked various travel guitars for the last 30 years on small planes with no problems. To my ear, the GS Mini is so much more pleasant to play compared to a Baby or LX, it is worth the early boarding fee (which you might need even for a Baby or LX).

Many people rant about the new a la carte pricing of the airlines, but I find that the lowest cost airlines, Allegiant for example, by charging for everything, motivate people to carry less crap on planes and to stuff it under the seat to avoid payment. They also check less stuff. In general you get on and off the plane faster and the luggage hits the carousel faster too.

Lately I am toying with a Composite Acoustic full size dreadnought. In a gig bag it is as sturdy as a wood guitar in a case and with early boarding it will fit in the overhead too. In realty, it will only be a few inches longer than the GS Mini gig bag and not any wider.
I have a GS Mini and recently took it back from CA to my home (I bought it in NAPA). When I have traveled with a guitar - less than 10 times, I always ask (with a nice friendly smile) the flight attendant when boarding if they it is Ok for me to stick my guitar in the coat closet. I have never been refused. They always say, sure if there is room. So I always do it there. This worked for my GS Mini and with the larger HSC guitars. Having said that, the GS Mini will fit in almost all overheads. I would NEVER, EVER gate check a GS Mini in its original gig bag. That is is a recipe for disaster. Jonfields45 has been very lucky indeed. On a related note, though I travel quite a bit for business, I do not usually bring a guitar. I find it to cumbersome since I carry one bag and backpack. Plus the stress of whether the guitar is going to go on the plane or not is palpable. Instead - I reward myself by researching and visiting the local guitar shop. Its a great way to play guitars you would not normally play and still play guitar on the road. Sometimes you come home with one - like the GS Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion