The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-23-2019, 05:45 PM

Default Looking for good Intermediate finger picking songs

I'm pretty new to this site so hopefully I do this right. I've been playing guitar for a few years now and I'm looking for songs that will challenge me. One of my favorites to play is Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce. Does anyone know of songs similar to this one that aren't too difficult to play? Or what are some favorites you guys like to play? I generally use UltimateGuitar to find tabs and whatnot but I don't know if you guys know other websites with free tabs?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Try www.songsterr.com

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:24 PM

Jerry’s guitar bar has a pretty good variety of songs. There are several free videos and the rest need to be purchased but are fairly inexpensive and come with Tabs. I’ve found the video lessons to be VERY helpful as sometimes there are certain tips that make your life much easier. Generally speaking ive found the pay tabs to be much more accurate and reliable, just my experience though.

As for specific songs... Blackbird is an easy tune but sounds great and everybody knows it. Also since you like Croce, “Operator” while not easy isn’t t terribly difficult. “Sounds of Silence” is another one that’s fairly easy.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 02-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJeff View Post
Jerry’s guitar bar has a pretty good variety of songs. There are several free videos and the rest need to be purchased but are fairly inexpensive and come with Tabs. I’ve found the video lessons to be VERY helpful as sometimes there are certain tips that make your life much easier. Generally speaking ive found the pay tabs to be much more accurate and reliable, just my experience though.

As for specific songs... Blackbird is an easy tune but sounds great and everybody knows it. Also since you like Croce, “Operator” while not easy isn’t t terribly difficult. “Sounds of Silence” is another one that’s fairly easy.

Good luck,
Jeff
Another vote for Jerry's Guitar Bar and thanks SouthpawJeff for suggesting it. I've bought probably over 30 lessons including some collections like Donovan and Joni Mitchell. He is a great teacher and his videos are split-screen, very professionally done, step-by-step. If you search for him on You Tube, he has a lot of videos there with free intros to the songs so you can see if you like them.

I love his lessons because they focus on entire songs (vs. skills/technique/licks) and because the songs are ones I really want to learn, e.g., 60's/70's folk and pop. I am currently on a Don McClean kick and working on "Castles in the Air" and "Vincent."
Old 02-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Wow this guy's videos are great! And I've been using songster a bunch too. Thank you! These help a ton
Old 02-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPQuellin View Post
Wow this guy's videos are great! And I've been using songster a bunch too. Thank you! These help a ton
There is a ton of stuff on Jerry's. I had bought a lesson last year from him and now just bought two more. Fun stuff to learn.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Jerry is a member here on the AGF.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write