The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-06-2016, 10:36 AM

I have cut several nut and saddle blanks from bone, and you have to be on a really tight budget for precut blanks not to be worth the price. If I LIKED making my own blanks, I'd still be doing it, but there's nothing about the process I like, and I REALLY dislike the smell.
et al
Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
The bone is completely stripped of marrow and any other icky stuff, then bleached and sterilized. They look like this.
Cool,

None of the bones I have seen in pet stores here in australia look like that one.

That will do the job, no problems.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-06-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
The bones I use have not been treated or bleached. The cow femurs that have been given to me have been sitting for years. I cut them in half long ways and let them dry out, sometimes in the sun. Once they're rendered into usable blanks, they work just fine. I can't tell any difference between my "homemade" blanks and the ones from LMI or Stewmac, except my unbleached blanks look much more appropriate on a vintage guitar.
All good, I was envisaging, bones as I can purchase them, full of marrow and raw, I have taken these bones and turned them into nuts as an experimental process rather than for practicality.

Took a long time (IMO) to clean and degrease them of all fats.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-06-2016, 06:27 PM

I used to make my own linings too but the cost in time of setting up a saw, prepping wood, and doing the actual cutting just made it ridiculous when I can just buy them for a few dollars.

Same goes with bone for me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair