The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
permanent changes that will leave the guitar compromised when the neck reset actually has to be done.
I agree. If you're not going to do a reset, suck it up & play slide, until you're ready to bite the bullet.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I'd grab a new saddle, something Micarta or Tusq,
Or bone. IMHO plastic saddles are a waste of time.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Or bone. IMHO plastic saddles are a waste of time.
And a waste of Tone.
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
I've read through this thread pretty quickly and I don't think I've seen this suggestion...

What about buying a saddle and cutting it down to a level that makes the guitar useful until you can afford the reset? Save the original saddle for the sake of the sound it helps you get, plus you mentioned liking to keep things original. You could simply drop it back in when it's time for the reset.

I am certainly no luthier, but these other solutions seem a bit dramatic and I would guess, somewhat expensive by comparison, not to mention to me, they seem like permanent changes that will leave the guitar compromised when the neck reset actually has to be done.

I'd grab a new saddle, something Micarta or Tusq, shape it carefully, sand off the bottom until your action is improved and leave everything else on the guitar alone until you can afford the reset.
Good on you for realizing what the rest of us missed. I assumed that the saddle was as low as it would go. Apparently everyone else did too. Reading back through the thread, the OP never say's that. Duh First thing is to lower the saddle. OP, has that been done?

Dennis
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I don't disagree with using a bone saddle as a sub until the original saddle can be put back in at the point of neck reset, but my suggestion was intending to keep the cost down as much as possible. The more the OP spends on a bandaid now means the longer he waits until he can afford the neck reset.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
my suggestion was intending to keep the cost down as much as possible.
Point well taken, but the cost of a bone saddle blank is pretty small compared to the time required to fit it to the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair