The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Something New Under the Sun?

I ran across this pedal and just had a chuckle. You may have heard of the Klon Centaur pedal. It began showing up on notable pedal boards in the '90s and was built in small numbers. People considered there to be some sort of fairy dust in them because the original maker squirted a gob of epoxy over a few key components to make it hard to clone them. The maker was a one-man operation so the wait time began to lengthen and they began to show up on used sites for incredible prices - I think the record is $8000.

Well, anyway, someone eventually figured out how to scrape off the epoxy. Circuit diagrams emerged and there was a frenzy for everyone to clone the Klon. Even though there isn't much to the pedal, an average boutique clone still runs around $200. In his usual cheeky manner, Joshua Heath Scott (JHS) of JHS Pedals has delivered an unusual twist on the Klon: a do-it-yourself, solderless kit called the NOTAKLÖN. It is so simple that he had a couple of adolescent kids assemble pedals on-camera.

Something about Joshua's snarky humor attracts me to his pedals, including this one. I've got his Bonzai Tube Screamer clone that includes nine versions, all replicated exactly. And the NOTAKLÖN? Well the first run sold out but he's taking pre-orders for the second. The price? Get this: $99. Crazy. And he even throws in a tube of goop to cover the diodes and make it authentic.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-17-2023, 08:09 AM

That's an interesting little piece of gear.

Pedal people can be somewhat maniacal, as I learned on one of the last Fretboard Journal podcasts featuring Chris Vincent who specializes in making exact reproductions using original parts or parts sourced from vintage era electronics. Who knew?
Old 11-17-2023, 07:50 PM

The thing with the Klon is that it’s actually a nice pedal that does the low-gain OD thing very nicely. There are a ton of Klones out there now doing the same low gain thing, and they all owe it to the hype for the Klon. That hype sold a lot of similar pedals for a lot of people. Is the Klon over hyped? Yes. Over priced? Yes. Over rated? I don’t think so. Btw, I have cheaper Klones than the $99 one Bob mentioned, and they are really good. There is no pedal, however, that’s going to make you sound great if you rely on it to do that. Unfortunately…
Old 11-18-2023, 10:40 AM

I think it's a great idea for us soldering-challenged players. I wonder if there will not now be a plethora of other DIY pedal kits like this with no soldering required.

As for the goop, I naively thought it was something needed to either improve the sound or help protect the components. I did not realize that it was more or less a joke (I think) to copy the original pedal's design.

So I can see the big question being "To Goop or Not to Goop."
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-22-2023, 10:08 AM

The Stew Mac Klon clone is a faithful copy of the original and I'll vouch for it, it's a great OD. They call it the Ghost Drive.

The video is truly entertaining. I think I want one just for the hell of it.
Old 11-22-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
. . . Something about Joshua's snarky humor attracts me to his pedals . . . .
Bob
Snarky: the new funny.
Old 11-22-2023, 11:43 AM

PS -

Watched the video. He didn't seem snarky at all. Kind, in fact.

Now, this is snarky: Gearmanndude

Gearmanndude is usually pretty generous and even-handed. Must've gotten up on the wrong side of the dumpster. I especially liked: "Um. What do people use these for?"
Old 11-22-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The Stew Mac Klon clone is a faithful copy of the original and I'll vouch for it, it's a great OD. They call it the Ghost Drive.

The video is truly entertaining. I think I want one just for the hell of it.
Yup, a fun video. As far as I know, most Klones are good. As he said, it's not complicated. Love my Electro-Harmonix Soul Food. I think I paid about $75 for it used.
Old 11-22-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
PS -

Watched the video. He didn't seem snarky at all. Kind, in fact.

Now, this is snarky: Gearmanndude

Gearmanndude is usually pretty generous and even-handed. Must've gotten up on the wrong side of the dumpster. I especially liked: "Um. What do people use these for?"
Yes I agree. But when the title of the video includes the word "worst" I don't expect it to have a very positive vibe. But overall I do like his videos.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-22-2023, 02:48 PM

I want one! Not that I have any need for one, and probably would never use it (like most of my pedals - they're idle 99% of the time), but I think it would be a gas just to put it together!
Old 11-22-2023, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I really like the idea of solder-less For us SCP types (as per Ralph )

I would get one in heart beat (and may still just for the fun of assembly --except I have an 8 position switcher feed my Pedal board and I already have 8 pedals on it so I guess one of my two Drive pedals would have to go
Which are a Limited run Xotic , Allen Hinds signature Soul Driven,, or my Karma, MTN-10.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-22-2023, 06:56 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Here is a new video from Joshua explaining timing of orders, pre-orders, gift vouchers, and need to cancel.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Yup, a fun video. As far as I know, most Klones are good. As he said, it's not complicated. Love my Electro-Harmonix Soul Food. I think I paid about $75 for it used.
Yeah the Sould Food always gets good reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I want one! Not that I have any need for one, and probably would never use it (like most of my pedals - they're idle 99% of the time), but I think it would be a gas just to put it together!
Don't forget the Goop!
Old 11-23-2023, 08:40 AM

His line of $99 pedals are a breath of fresh air and although there are cheaper options, I like to support guys like him and Brian Wampler.
I have the delay pedal and it works quite well for my minimalist needs.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-23-2023, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Sold out 3000 units in few hours wowsers. Most manufactures can only dream and or imagine.

So If we order today we are looking at a Feb ship date well hopefully the old adage "Good things come to those who wait" will apply

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars