The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-26-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
The only parts that need "exercise" is the electrolytic capacitors. The voltage reforms the insulating oxide layer in the capacitor. The capacitors should be replaced every 25-35 years to keep the amp running its best. The amps can be played without replacing the caps, some have lasted 50 years. By applying voltage to the amp every few years lengthens the time the parts need to be replaced by.
How about 74 years?
I own a 1951 Valco National that still plays as sweet as you please.
Had a couple caps replaced last year, that’s it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-26-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
How about 74 years?
I own a 1951 Valco National that still plays as sweet as you please.
Had a couple caps replaced last year, that’s it.
I think 75 years is about as far as you should push them. The length of time that the capacitors degrades before they finally crap out will depend on how it was used over time. Cooking them for a long period of time will cause them an earlier demise.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
I have 2 nice Fender tube amps. A Hot rod Deluxe and a Deluxe Reverb reissue. I love these amps for use with my electrics but have been playing solo acoustic fingerstyle almost all of the time so my amps are not getting much use. Does it hurt the amp to be un-used for a period of time (maybe 6-12 months) ? I don't know much about tube amp maintenance.
If you want to learn in a light-hearted and entertaining way then listen to Skip Simmons and Jason Verlinde on "The Truth About Vintage Amps" podcast at Fretboard Journal's web pages.

Skip often recommends using a variac to slowly bring a long unused vintage tube amp up to operating voltage.

Plus you get lots of good recipes to try out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars