The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-11-2023, 09:05 PM

Default Gibson Custom Shop factory visit - interesting not for what you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ODwU7mbeUI&t=2885s

I've watched quite a few factory visit videos - starting with acoustics and then electrics, but this video is quite extraordinary. Not for the visit itself but the very last section, where Andertons' has to come and ask the Gibson rep to come and explain why the custom shop Gibson differs from the 'normal' factory.

I don't know what it says about Gibson but clearly Andertons was bemused by how little there is between the regular Gibson factory and the Custom shop one... Tough for a retailer who has to justify quite a difference in price.

And I have to agree there, the Gibson custom shop offering is very underwhelming (other than painting jobs), especially compared to what Fender does. And the most striking difference is that the custom shop employees of Fender are really into their instruments, whereas unfortunately the Gibson's one only seen to be concerned about the brand and the artists. I don't throw the stone at the poor lad, but there seems to be quite a difference in philosophy between the two custom shop approaches. Amazed that the custom shop is so heavily reliant on CNC, that the fretboards are fretted before being glued on, etc.

Very interesting.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:12 PM

I've never been blown away by any of the Gibson custom shop models I've played. They seem to be more of a come-on than anything else. Then again when we start discussing the "Murphy Labs" guitars, I find that I'm looking for the exit sign.

and believe me when I say, I'ma Gibson FIRST guy ALL the time. My LPs are the work horses, I play my fenders, but not like I play the LPs and SGs.

If I was in the market for another LP, I'd be looking at a 50s standard, hands down.

Conversly, I've had a few Fender Custom shop guitars and IME they were a bit special to me. Definitely a cut above the production lines.

Unfortunately I found I did not like vintage frets on maple necks, so I sold them but they did retain their value.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars