The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 AM

Question Worn wound nylon string

On my very, very cheap summer cottage classical guitar, the winding on the fourth string second fret has worn through in no time. Is it bad strings (Rotosound) or should the fret be polished even though it does not seem to be rough or sharp?

Last edited by Palle; 11-22-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:06 AM

If the fret is smooth replace the strings,
if the problem persists (and you don't have the string wound up tighter in some freaky open tuning) then you have a problem with the fret
5 cents plz
sunaj
Old 11-22-2015, 03:25 AM

Your photo shows three frets. On the 4th string wear can be seen at all three frets; on the 5th string wear can be seen at two frets.

I've never used Rotosound strings, nor heard of them as classical guitar strings. I'd suggest trying a different brand. I find D'Addario Pro Arte strings good value for money.

Eventually, the windings will wear at the frets, regardless of string brand. Strings don't last forever. If you believe the wear to be premature, try a different brand of strings, since the wear is not limited to a specific fret and you stated that the frets, themselves, do not feel rough. If the problem persists with different brands, have the frets polished.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:41 AM

Thank you for the answers. I got two sets of Rotosound strings in the deal when I bought a much more expensive Alhambra guitar for use at home (Maestro 800 similar to the 8p, a very nice guitar!) I'll avoid Rotosounds in the future!
Old 11-22-2015, 08:57 AM

Yes, try some new strings for a start, the Pro Arte are good, also Savarez. But be careful, if your guitar is a really cheap one, the strings may cost as much as the guitar! I jest, but good quality nylon strings aren't cheap. And you will find the wound strings wearing before the plains anyway. You can often get away with changing only the bottom three strings as the trebles will hold their tone for a considerable time. Some pro players do this. Of course, if you buy in sets, it is uneconomical.
Your frets should also be smoothe and shiny as on any guitar so that could be another aspect to examine and cure. But even with the shiniest frets, the lower strings will wear out quicker than the top ones. have fun.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

You failed to mention how long "no time" is. If it was several months and you have been playing regularly, that's a long time for a set of classical strings. They will have lost their pop well before reaching that level of wear. Classical strings go dead before they wear out, even if you don't play them.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
You failed to mention how long "no time" is. If it was several months and you have been playing regularly, that's a long time for a set of classical strings. They will have lost their pop well before reaching that level of wear. Classical strings go dead before they wear out, even if you don't play them.
I have a couple of guitars sitting in my office that get little regular play. I have to change the strings at least a few times a year so they will sound good when they are played.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:12 PM

The local guitar shop in Varberg didn't have d'Addario nylon strings. I got a set of Jim Dunlop, Normal tension, Premier series. Never heard about them before. But - wow, what a difference. This cheap all laminate (Cataluņa SGN C-81) has not sounded so nice before! Can't stop playing.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:08 PM

When you remove the strings you might have your finger go over the fret to feel if isn't smooth. If it isn't, you can get some 1500 grit sandpaper, get a piece of paper and cut a slit in it for the fret to poke through and sand the fret.

If it is really sharp you may need coarser grit, but end on 1500.

Oh, and don't use steel wool as it makes a big mess on guitars.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Looking at the frets, wear on string maybe caused by excessive string bending.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Yes, try some new strings for a start, the Pro Arte are good, also Savarez. But be careful, if your guitar is a really cheap one, the strings may cost as much as the guitar! I jest, but good quality nylon strings aren't cheap.
Good strings might be worth it even on a cheap guitar, judged from how much better it sounds now that I've put new strings on. Otherwise, it is a case for not buying too cheap a guitar, even for the summer cottage...

Quote:
I have a couple of guitars sitting in my office that get little regular play. I have to change the strings at least a few times a year so they will sound good when they are played.
Yes, I'm surprised the difference it made to get new strings. Now I actually enjoy playing that cheap guitar.

Quote:
I have had the guitar for about a half year, but only played it about 4 or 5 weeks as it is in my cottage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicnuance View Post
When you remove the strings you might have your finger go over the fret to feel if isn't smooth. If it isn't, you can get some 1500 grit sandpaper, get a piece of paper and cut a slit in it for the fret to poke through and sand the fret.

If it is really sharp you may need coarser grit, but end on 1500.

Oh, and don't use steel wool as it makes a big mess on guitars.
I already changed strings, and if they wear to fast too, I'll try the sandpaper. Thanks for the warning against steel wool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Looking at the frets, wear on string maybe caused by excessive string bending.
No, I use it for learning to play classical guitar. I do the blues stuff on a steel stringed guitar.

Thanks again, for all the advice and suggestions!

Last edited by Palle; 11-27-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:03 PM

I had the same problem for years - wound strings (D first, then A) wearing off way earlier than the others. I d take it as a sign that it was time to change the strings

That was until i tried the Coated Silverplated Wound (DAddario ProArte EXP).
Granted they are not the most brilliant sounding ones, but aforementioned problem is now gone - even after months when the strings sound fully dead, dull and lifeless, the wound string feel and look intact.

Now i have to REMEMBER to change my strings regularly.
Is this progress or what?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical guitar, classical strings