The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 AM

Default Medium vs High Tension Strings

Do high tension strings require more tension/pull on the neck so that they increase load on the guitar?

Or are they smaller diameter and 'denser' so that the stress load on the guitar is similar?

( So could it be a concern for some guitars not being able to safely handle higher tension strings? )

As far as general tonal characteristics go, are higher tension strings brighter?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:04 AM

my experience is that the choice is related to how loose or tight the guitar is and what your desired sense of touch is. High tension strings will not only pull the neck forward, they will also pull the top up.

In my college days, I used normal tension when playing solo because I found them to have a wider range of dynamics and easier to get a singing vibrato on. I often changed to high tension strings in ensemble situations so that I could dig in harder, use more rest stroke, and overall play louder.

My last guitar that I built, which is the one that I currently play, the action is so nice and the top is a bit on the soft side, normal tension strings are more prone to slap and buzz, so I comfortably keep high tension strings on all of the time.

John Williams played J45's for years, and then decided to switch to J46's, having his action lowered .5mm at the same time.

Ultimately, the choice is dictated by your guitar, your desired sense of touch, and the sounds you wish to achieve.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual View Post
Do high tension strings require more tension/pull on the neck so that they increase load on the guitar?

Or are they smaller diameter and 'denser' so that the stress load on the guitar is similar?

( So could it be a concern for some guitars not being able to safely handle higher tension strings? )

As far as general tonal characteristics go, are higher tension strings brighter?
High tension strings are usually a little thicker than medium (although some sets use denser polymers so these can be the same or even slightly thinner) but in all cases the higher tension strings will exert more load on the guitar.

But don't worry - the difference is usually only approx 5lbs for the set and all classical guitars can withstand this. And yes, they usually produce a "brighter" tone.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:38 AM

Appreciate the replies. Good classical guitars seem delicate (perhaps I am mistaken) and was concerned about stress loads and design - not wanting to warp the soundboard.

Tonal qualities are also interesting ... but will require experimenting to get a 'grip' on the issue.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:54 AM

Start with normal tension strings
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM

Cool Medium vs High Tension Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual View Post
Good classical guitars seem delicate (perhaps I am mistaken) and was concerned about stress loads and design - not wanting to warp the soundboard.
High quality classical guitars ARE much more 'delicate' than steel-string guitars. Different bracing for improved resonance, along with a much thinner soundboard. This makes them more susceptible to damage from stress to the top, warping, and cracking, and also to extreme temperature changes, as well as rapid changes in relative humidity.

Keeping them in their case (equipped with an accurate hygrometer) is highly recommended.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Here is a link with tension comparisons
http://gamutmusic.squarespace.com/cl...itar-tensions/

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

I don't think there are any classical strings that would be bad for a guitar. The differences are not that huge. From normal to extra high tension is usually not more than 15 - 20% more tension. Where the differences are is in dynamic range of the strings on a particular guitar. A well made guitar will, usually have the broadest dynamic range with medium to high tension strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical strings