The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
I think there might be some confusion that overtones = bright. 80/20s are actually more fundamental that PBs... but they're brighter. They're typically the option when you want to tame overtones on a rosewood guitar.

Same thing with Elixirs - coated strings lob off overtones... they remove the upper partials. It's just physics. They compensate by making bright vs other coated strings which trend toward mellow.

My experience w/ EJ16s is they have a fair bit more overtones than the PB John Pearse, the JPs are great if you want volume and cut, but I personally find them too dry. If your preference is for 80/20 JPs, maybe that's not exactly what you're looking for.

To do better than EJ16s, which I consider pretty high on the overtone chart, I'd suggest looking into Curt Mangans or Newtones. Something like Newtone double wounds have a ton of harmonic complexity but they're also rather mellow and on the softer/quieter side.
This is a great, well-informed post.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 04-11-2021, 09:49 AM

Hmm - I can't find the Newtones anywhere. Not available on stringsbymail, stringsandbeyond, guitarcenter, or even the Newtone web site. Either they stopped making them entirely or there is just no stock. I hope the latter - I'd like to try them.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 04-11-2021, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post

.........But I'd enjoy hearing a bit o' chime in the sustain of the strings and was wondering what strings types and brand/models folks think fill that bill, a string that might emphasize the overtones along w/ the fundamental.
Nice guitar, congrats! Given the above I'd try D'Addario NB1253 Nickel Bronze. As the package says I find they do have "harmonically rich overtones", while still retaining good clarity . I like them very much on my smaller & mid size guitars.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Hmm - I can't find the Newtones anywhere. Not available on stringsbymail, stringsandbeyond, guitarcenter, or even the Newtone web site. Either they stopped making them entirely or there is just no stock. I hope the latter - I'd like to try them.
You order direct from England. The only downside is it takes 2 to 4 weeks to get from England to US...more typically 4 weeks. But worth waiting for.
You can also Custom order the exact gauges you want. That is what I do.
https://newtonestrings.com/shop/mast...stic-6-string/
https://newtonestrings.com/shop/cust...-configurator/
Old 04-11-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
Congratulations on the fine guitar, man. Hope you are enjoying it. These string threads are some of my favorites. I just bought a cedar topped guitar and was thinking of trying some 80/20s on it. How does the rosewood Martin sound to you, compared to your Martin 15 and the Waterloo?
Thanks! After a short excursion w/ John Pierce 80/20 I ditched them.

The dealer had recommended Martin Flexible Core PB Authentic MA540FX Light Tommy Emmanuel 12-54 and I just installed a set this morning and put in some bone bridge pins, I like these strings much better than the JP 80/20s, which seemed kinda primitive on this guitar, no volume at all and uninspiring tone wise. The MA540FX have a lot of bottom and volume, much more balanced and interesting.

I'm working up an order for some of the strings recommended in this thread, thanks all for the excellent help.

The sound of my various guitars,.. the 00-15, all mahogany, though wonderful doesn't have the depth and richness of the rosewood. Rosewood on this 00 has clarity and an excellent dynamic range, but doesn't have the cut of maple on the Waterloo WL-12. 00-28 in Rosewood definitely has a more sophisticated sound than the other two guitars,.. but there are a lot of factors at play beyond body wood like the bracing, the neck block, finish, etc.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Thanks! After a short excursion w/ John Pierce 80/20 I ditched them.

The dealer had recommended Martin Flexible Core PB Authentic MA540FX Light Tommy Emmanuel 12-54 and I just installed a set this morning and put in some bone bridge pins, I like these strings much better than the JP 80/20s, which seemed kinda primitive on this guitar, no volume at all and uninspiring tone wise. The MA540FX have a lot of bottom and volume, much more balanced and interesting.

I'm working up an order for some of the strings recommended in this thread, thanks all for the excellent help.

The sound of my various guitars,.. the 00-15, all mahogany, though wonderful doesn't have the depth and richness of the rosewood. Rosewood on this 00 has clarity and an excellent dynamic range, but doesn't have the cut of maple on the Waterloo WL-12. 00-28 in Rosewood definitely has a more sophisticated sound than the other two guitars,.. but there are a lot of factors at play beyond body wood like the bracing, the neck block, finish, etc.
Glad you're liking the new strings better. I've never tried those Martin PBs before, and generally stay away from PBs on the Waterloo, but I think 80/20s or a livelier PB would suit the new guitar. I'll keep those Martins in mind. It's both fun and sometimes frustrating to experiment with strings.

Sounds like you are enjoying the sound of the new guitar. Very glad to hear! Have you noticed a preference between bare flesh and picks (if you ever use any?) I don't have a rosewood guitar but the cedar/walnut breedlove is such a drastic change from the wl-12 - and I am having a similar experience as you with regards to a 'more sophisticated' sound from the new guitar. Interestingly, the more I play the breedlove, the better I like it with picks instead of bare flesh. A thumbpick sounds pretty phenomenal on those bass strings but then I have to also wear fingerpicks otherwise the trebles get drowned - and I am a lot clumsier with the fingerpicks. I also reach for a flat pick now and then, which is something I typically rarely do. It's remarkable how different the two guitars are. I love the wl-12 sound, though, and I experience the joy of a familiar and dear friend every time I pick it up.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
Glad you're liking the new strings better. I've never tried those Martin PBs before, and generally stay away from PBs on the Waterloo, but I think 80/20s or a livelier PB would suit the new guitar. I'll keep those Martins in mind. It's both fun and sometimes frustrating to experiment with strings.

Sounds like you are enjoying the sound of the new guitar. Very glad to hear! Have you noticed a preference between bare flesh and picks (if you ever use any?) I don't have a rosewood guitar but the cedar/walnut breedlove is such a drastic change from the wl-12 - and I am having a similar experience as you with regards to a 'more sophisticated' sound from the new guitar. Interestingly, the more I play the breedlove, the better I like it with picks instead of bare flesh. A thumbpick sounds pretty phenomenal on those bass strings but then I have to also wear fingerpicks otherwise the trebles get drowned - and I am a lot clumsier with the fingerpicks. I also reach for a flat pick now and then, which is something I typically rarely do. It's remarkable how different the two guitars are. I love the wl-12 sound, though, and I experience the joy of a familiar and dear friend every time I pick it up.
I’ve gone to PB on the WL-12, but the 00-15 gets Retros. Enjoy the Breedlove! I’m happy w/ my three food groups, mahogany, rosewood and maple.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
If those are Martin original plastic pins...you might try purchasing some high quality bone pins. In some cases, They can add chime-overtones as well.
I had a set of high quality bone pins (from Bob Colosi) that I tried, sort of mellowed out the guitar. I actually preferred the sound of the OEM plastic pins over the bone and just changed back.

Maybe FWI might be better but I'm going to dial in the strings first and see where that gets me.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

You might try GHS Vintage Bronze - warm, clear with some nice sustain depending on the guitar.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion