The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-05-2021, 12:17 AM

Default "Fat" sounding

Just wondering what exactly does it mean when a guitar is "fat" sounding?
Old 04-05-2021, 12:22 AM

meaning that it sounds full and lush.

If you listen to a Les Paul vs a Strat the, the LP will sound more full whereas the latter is thinner sounding.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
meaning that it sounds full and lush.

If you listen to a Les Paul vs a Strat the, the LP will sound more full whereas the latter is thinner sounding.
Ok, thanks. I play a strat and the bridge pickup is very thin and trebly where as the neck pickup is very deep and rich sounding, is that what is described as being fat?

My strat has single coil V-mods and each pickup produces a vastly different tone to the others
Old 04-05-2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Ok, thanks. I play a strat and the bridge pickup is very thin and trebly where as the neck pickup is very deep and rich sounding, is that what is described as being fat?

My strat has single coil V-mods and each pickup produces a vastly different tone to the others
Yup that rich deep, rich sound you're hearing is the "fat" tone.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
...If you listen to a Les Paul vs a Strat the, the LP will sound more full whereas the latter is thinner sounding.
Not if you use flatwound 12's, deck the trem, and use a 5-spring setup, the way Leo shipped them in 1954 - clean, clear, smooth in all positions, and not thin or metallic at all...
Old 04-05-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post

Back in the 60's I was told the secret to Hank Marvin's tone off the bridge pickup. He rewired the bottom Tone knob on his Strat to the Bridge pup and rolled it off to around "7". The middle Tone knob is rewired to control the middle and neck pups.

I've had every Strat I've ever owned wired this way. Never liked the "icepick in the ear" tone of the standard Strat bridge pup sound.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Back in the 60's I was told the secret to Hank Marvin's tone off the bridge pickup. He rewired the bottom Tone knob on his Strat to the Bridge pup and rolled it off to around "7". The middle Tone knob is rewired to control the middle and neck pups.

I've had every Strat I've ever owned wired this way. Never liked the "icepick in the ear" tone of the standard Strat bridge pup sound.
Yeah, the bridge position can come off as "ice-picky" but it's also the best position on a Strat for Classic Rock distortion tones (IMHO). Not as good as a Tele bridge p'up, but close.

If your bridge pickup sounds "thin", you may need to raise it a bit. Trebly, jangly or bright is normal - "thin" isn't.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-06-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Not if you use flatwound 12's, deck the trem, and use a 5-spring setup, the way Leo shipped them in 1954 - clean, clear, smooth in all positions, and not thin or metallic at all...
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to own a strat one day. Gotta love those glassy cleans
Old 04-06-2021, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Very subjective term, but “you know it when you hear it”! Remember, an electric guitar is 1/3 of the tone equation. Theres the amp, and and pedals/modelers too. If I was pressed to define fat tones, I would say “billy gibbons”...whether hes playing a LP, V, or vintage Esquire!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-06-2021, 05:31 AM

The early Strat pups were wound very thin and had low output. That tone can be heard on a lot of songs recorded during those years. The bridge is particularly good for cutting through while playing rhythm chord “stabs” in certain songs.
Since I already own a Tele with an overwound single coil bridge and 5/16” magnets, I really like that Strat bridge sound. Those sets also produced the “glassiest” Strat tones in the second and fourth position...heavenly!
BTW, one of John Mayer’s Strats has these pups in it and he uses it a lot.
Here’s a great demo...

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 04-06-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:47 AM

That Robben Ford "Talk to Your Daughter" tone comes to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0CWfVZczY

Last edited by guitararmy; 04-06-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:40 AM

Bridge pickup - thin
Neck pickup - fat

Picking up over the fretboard fattens the sound too. I think fat means mid/bass emphasis.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:43 AM

Like most metaphoric adjectives applied to sound, there's an element of "it means what I think it means" to it.

To some it means more lower end and low mids in the sound's EQ profile.

To others it means a broader sustain/decay envelope

To others it means the different overtone mix when a guitar is picked nearer the neck.

To some it means the broader length of string sensed by a wider pickup or by two pickups.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-06-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Yeah, the bridge position can come off as "ice-picky" but it's also the best position on a Strat for Classic Rock distortion tones (IMHO). Not as good as a Tele bridge p'up, but close.

If your bridge pickup sounds "thin", you may need to raise it a bit. Trebly, jangly or bright is normal - "thin" isn't.
yep my bridge pickup definitely isn't "thin" It doesn't lack volume... it's quite a loud pickup to be honest. perfect for distortion it responds very nicely with my Boss DS-1. Clean tone it's very "glassy" sounding. Think of the guitar tone in The Counting Crows song Mr Jones. That's very much my bridge pickup clean tone down to a Tee =P
Old 04-07-2021, 05:57 AM

The first thing that comes to my mind for a “fat” guitar tone is Duane Allman, quintessentially on “Blue Sky”. If you could eat that sound it would spike your cholesterol (and it would be worth it!).

Another good example would be Clapton on “Spoonful”.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars