The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-02-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Sweetwater Catalog

Yeah, so I got this huge, thick, glossy catalog in the...actual mail...yesterday. Kind of amazing that they print something out like that anymore, it went straight into the recycling bin. What is this, 1977 and Sears?

Went on their site, found a contact us link with several options and texted them a request to take me off the list as well as a comment regarding my surprise that they send out such a thing. They got back to me this morning confirming the removal and of course asking if I needed anything else. They do have some amazing customer service which I really appreciate. So no problem with them, just found the catalog a bit of a blast from the past. Funny.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I got one too, and thought the same thing. I'll have to get them to take me off the list.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I got mine too and thought the same thing.
But I just took the old one out and replaced it with the new one. I should really contact them as you did.
It's like the phone books we (still) get delivered. Who looks those up anymore?

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-02-2021, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I got one too. What is so upsetting about getting a catalog in the mail that it warrants such vehemence? I just wasn't that offended that they sent it to me. I paged through mine and looked at the pictures. It is still sitting my my chair. I might page through it again later on. I think I'll just stay on the mailing list.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-02-2021, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

I'm surprised you one would get "vehemence" from my post, that certainly wasn't my feeling. But hey, I can always work on my communication. I thought it was an odd thing to get, it seemed really dated, and personally I'd rather not get such a wasteful thing in the mail. They can figure out what works best for them, but for this happy Sweetwater customer, definitely not wanted. I also don't need them to call me on the phone, but I do appreciate that they try and be very high touch.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:03 PM

I've gotten the Sweetwater catalog a few times when I was working in the US. Last time was about 2 years ago when I had a corp apt so I had it mailed there. I enjoy leafing through it in the airports/planes.

I'm surprised that Sweetwater still distributes such a thick catalog for free but they must believe it generates sales.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:38 PM

I will look through mine and recycle it when the next one arrives. I liked the Sears catalog at Christmas. Times change. I might use it to to test bullet penetration from my .357 reloads before recycling.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 04-02-2021, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I'm surprised you one would get "vehemence" from my post, that certainly wasn't my feeling. But hey, I can always work on my communication. I thought it was an odd thing to get, it seemed really dated, and personally I'd rather not get such a wasteful thing in the mail. They can figure out what works best for them, but for this happy Sweetwater customer, definitely not wanted. I also don't need them to call me on the phone, but I do appreciate that they try and be very high touch.
Maybe vehemence wasn't the best word to use. I just got the impression that you were really put out by it. I've been getting those catalogs from Sweetwater periodically for several years. I'm surprised that you haven't gotten them before. I wonder if it has something to do with your personal sales person. I get the catalogs but hardly ever a call. Maybe in my case my sales person says, "I'll just send this old geezer a catalog and he'll be happy."

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-02-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Maybe vehemence wasn't the best word to use. I just got the impression that you were really put out by it. I've been getting those catalogs from Sweetwater periodically for several years. I'm surprised that you haven't gotten them before. I wonder if it has something to do with your personal sales person. I get the catalogs but hardly ever a call. Maybe in my case my sales person says, "I'll just send this old geezer a catalog and he'll be happy."
I've never bought anything from them before this year, it was a keyboard for one of my kids. I'm not really put out, I just haven't gotten a paper catalog from a vendor in such a long time it really seemed dated and odd to me. The size of it also made me laugh, it was huge!

I'm surprised anyone is still selling this way, but it must be working for them. The phone calls also are just...odd. Email works, folks! I appreciate it, but...just interruptive for me. I just don't do much paper anymore, but I'm probably in a tech bubble relative to the demographic here.

Just sharing some thoughts, definitely not a big deal.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:03 PM

I need to get taken off the list as well. It must create a whole lot of unnecessary waste. Stop using all the wood to make those things. Save it to make guitars!
Old 04-02-2021, 08:06 PM

Still waiting on mine, but I love leafing through them in my spare time...
Old 04-02-2021, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I got mine too. I like getting it and yes, I was a big fan of the Sears catalog when I was a kid. I guess a part of me never grew up.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-02-2021, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Old style catalog aside I’ll say this for Sweetwater: I wish all on-line vendors would be as helpful and responsive as they are. It’s always a plus if they happen to have what you’re looking for. And they are quick to ship. At least in our parts.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-03-2021, 04:26 AM

this is the first catalog they've sent out in quite a while.

IMHO, they should save themselves the money, it's got be a whopping bill.

There's only a small sampling of what they have available if you browse the web site.

That said, I love Sweetwater! they've never failed me.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Still waiting on mine, but I love leafing through them in my spare time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I got mine too. I like getting it and yes, I was a big fan of the Sears catalog when I was a kid. I guess a part of me never grew up.
Same with me.
I still enjoy a book in hand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic