The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-31-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Heritage H-530

In my youth I owned 2 Heritage H-535 models and as most folks understand, Heritage makes great instruments. I have been giving serious thought to the H-530 which is more or less the equivalent to a Gibson ES-330. Has anyone owned or played the H-530? I'm guessing the Lollar P-90's are great sounding pickups but I've never heard them in a full hollow body guitar. TIA for your response!
Old 03-31-2021, 12:15 PM

Man, I have no experience with Heritage guitars, but I have an offer to trade my SJ45 for an H535 and I am wondering if it’s a smart deal on my part.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:34 PM

I've had great experiences a few of their Les Paul models and their version of a 175. (H575)

They have great customer service too.

Lollar Pickups are a winner every time.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:35 PM

I was looking at a used example of that model at Gryphon, and I believe it is precisely that - a copy of the Gibson ES-330:

Thinline hollow body - check!
Dogear P90s - check!
Mickey mouse doublecut - check!

Unfortunately, it was sold before I could get the funds together.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:48 AM

I would like to have a Heritage. How are things at the factory over the past couple of years?
Old 04-01-2021, 07:26 AM

Don't know much about current production, but their first-run all carved jazzboxes were amazing - everything a good Gibson should have been, at 1/3 to 1/2 the street price - and I'm sorry I didn't grab one at the time...
Old 04-04-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I would like to have a Heritage. How are things at the factory over the past couple of years?
They were bought out by Bandlab. The factory was cleaned up, and more quality control procedures were put into place. They reduced the amount of custom work they do, but they had some of the old guard training the newer employees. There was a hiccup at first as some of the older employees didn't like the new treatment so they walked out, or were given walking papers. The new Heritage also brought in Edwin Wilson from the Gibson custom shop, who headed their sister company "Harmony Guitars" which are built in the same building, and then he turned his sights toward the new Heritage Core line which are more on par with Gibson Custom Shop guitars.

As for a new H530, they are are great instruments, and a new one should be a great guitar. I actually played one at Guitar Center that was aged from the factory. I don't like aged instruments, but the guitar played really good, and sounded just as good. Although on the one I played, the saddles were set as far back as they could in the bridge, and it just barely intonated. I would check that out if you're going to buy one, to make sure the bridge is placed in the right spot, and that it was just an isolated incident. I would find the newest model you could find to make sure you're getting the best quality as they are getting better and better. And, they are PLEK'ing their instruments now, something the old guard refused to do.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
In my youth I owned 2 Heritage H-535 models and as most folks understand, Heritage makes great instruments. I have been giving serious thought to the H-530 which is more or less the equivalent to a Gibson ES-330. Has anyone owned or played the H-530? I'm guessing the Lollar P-90's are great sounding pickups but I've never heard them in a full hollow body guitar. TIA for your response!
The 530s are great guitars to play. I would also think about the newly issued Gibson ES-330 Slim Harpo Lovell which looks to be a fine instrument at a fair price, about 2,500USD
Old 04-05-2021, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Thanks folks. I had heard/read of some issues when new ownership stepped in but did not know details. I typically buy used guitars so finding a used one is my goal. As a side note: In 1985 I scored a Cherry Red 68 ES-330 for $185. I traded it for a Telecaster fairly quickly because it howled at stage volume. Not the best decision I ever made. Hence my desire for the Heritage. I will take a peak at the Slim Harpo as well.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I can't speak for the heritage guitar but my Collings I30 has the lollar p90s and I really like them. I have to say it did take me a while to get up the learning curve to get the tones where I wanted them though

The Collings is also a 330 style guitar and it has quickly become one of my favorites. It is amazing to me how much difference the (light) weight also makes to my playing enjoyment
Old 04-08-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
They were bought out by Bandlab. The factory was cleaned up, and more quality control procedures were put into place. They reduced the amount of custom work they do, but they had some of the old guard training the newer employees. There was a hiccup at first as some of the older employees didn't like the new treatment so they walked out, or were given walking papers. The new Heritage also brought in Edwin Wilson from the Gibson custom shop, who headed their sister company "Harmony Guitars" which are built in the same building, and then he turned his sights toward the new Heritage Core line which are more on par with Gibson Custom Shop guitars.

As for a new H530, they are are great instruments, and a new one should be a great guitar. I actually played one at Guitar Center that was aged from the factory. I don't like aged instruments, but the guitar played really good, and sounded just as good. Although on the one I played, the saddles were set as far back as they could in the bridge, and it just barely intonated. I would check that out if you're going to buy one, to make sure the bridge is placed in the right spot, and that it was just an isolated incident. I would find the newest model you could find to make sure you're getting the best quality as they are getting better and better. And, they are PLEK'ing their instruments now, something the old guard refused to do.
Thanks Rockabilly. I had heard about the 'uprising' a couple of years ago but didn't realize they were acquired. Thinking that the pre-acquisition guitars are going to be known as the 'golden era'.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Thanks folks. I had heard/read of some issues when new ownership stepped in but did not know details. I typically buy used guitars so finding a used one is my goal. As a side note: In 1985 I scored a Cherry Red 68 ES-330 for $185. I traded it for a Telecaster fairly quickly because it howled at stage volume. Not the best decision I ever made. Hence my desire for the Heritage. I will take a peak at the Slim Harpo as well.
If 'howling at stage volume' is an issue for you...that is, if you're playing at typical R&R volume with a drummer, etc., this guitar might also howl since, if I'm not mistaken, it lacks a 335-type center block.

Some of the players that use these types of guitar on stage stuff them with foam to reduce the excursion of the top at high volume, which is mostly the cause of the howling. You might want to research this a bit. If you play at high volume a lot, a 335 type guitar might be a better choice...similar tone with more resistance to feedback.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-10-2021, 01:13 AM

For stage feedback I've found Doug's Plugs to work well, coupled with body position (body between amp and guitar). Works fine on my ES-175D except at crazy ear-splitting volumes
Not cheap.
Don't forget Steve Howe used a fully hollow ES-175D at high volumes for years and seemed more than able to avoid feedback problems. There are no fundamental reasons that prevent playing a 330 at higher volumes......

Last edited by Ray175; 04-11-2021 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:00 AM

Just read this, article is from yesterday. What sweet looking Heritage guitars.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/her...0-artisan-aged

Old 04-10-2021, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
If 'howling at stage volume' is an issue for you...that is, if you're playing at typical R&R volume with a drummer, etc., this guitar might also howl since, if I'm not mistaken, it lacks a 335-type center block.

Some of the players that use these types of guitar on stage stuff them with foam to reduce the excursion of the top at high volume, which is mostly the cause of the howling. You might want to research this a bit. If you play at high volume a lot, a 335 type guitar might be a better choice...similar tone with more resistance to feedback.
I was in my mid 20's back then and even though I was fairly certain the ES-330 would not work with the band I was with at the time, I bought it anyway in hopes it would work. Back then I could not afford to keep any guitar I wasn't using so sadly, it went away in favor of a solid body.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars