The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-28-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Wll the way a Tele feels ; i describe as , I have to hold it up. It always feels like it wants to slip off my lap or out of my hands. I need to support it all the time. whereas the acoustic , I just REST my arm on the body . There is no where to rest my arm on the Tele.
A guitar with a larger (not necessarily thicker) body would let you rest your arm on it.

There might be accessories that let you raise the smaller guitar higher, but then the distance between the strings and your arm's point of contact would still be small. Not sure if that would help enough.

edit:
How does it feel if you raise the guitar? Try a pillow, or anything, just as an experiment.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-30-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I have recently tried playing my Tele lately. I am 99% acoustic player. But when I get the urge to play electric , I find the body too thin to hold comfortably [especially with a bad right shoulder]. Any way to resolve this? I do LIKE the Tele;[not love] but maybe it's time to look for something more comparable.
Could it be that you're dropping your right shoulder a bit while holding the smaller body? If so, a strap can help (as was mentioned), as well as propping up your foot with something to raise your leg. I use a classical guitar footrest under my right foot to raise my leg so that my Tele doesn't slide out of position - it also relaxes my shoulder as I no longer have to "hold" the guitar in place. Of course, you could also lower your seat to accomplish the same thing.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:33 AM

This is exactly what I’ve been having an issue with. Just bought a Strat after only playing acoustics for years. My lower back is bothering me.
I’m just now adjusting my playing position. Seems to be working.
I think you’ll just have to experiment a little each day to find your comfort zone.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:46 PM

Have you tried playing it in the same position as a classical guitar?

(For a right-handed player) guitar body on your left knee, neck at 30-45 degree angle from horizontal? Any number of jazz guys do this. Give it a try you might like it.

Some folks even use that little footstool that elevates the left foot slightly.

take a look at the position in this online article:

https://medium.com/tonebase/4-ways-p...s-8ffda0a09acf
Old 04-03-2021, 04:03 PM

Hey ya know I tried a Classical guitar foot stool for the last few days and it helps. As long as I can get the guitar closer under my right armpit ;it seems a little easier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars