The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-26-2021, 12:30 PM

Default Emerald shipping video; changes coming!

https://youtu.be/WaThtEWk49E
Old 03-26-2021, 12:41 PM

Mine is at 17:03

I thought they actually used the sample that you chose for the top. I guess I'll be happy with what they used, but none the less that is not the sample that I picked out. Still, looking forward to receiving it and hopefully I will like the playability and sound.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyEC View Post
Mine is at 17:03

I thought they actually used the sample that you chose for the top. I guess I'll be happy with what they used, but none the less that is not the sample that I picked out. Still, looking forward to receiving it and hopefully I will like the playability and sound.
They should have. Did you use the builder? I was wondering how that is supposed to work because I did not see an option to enter the veneer ref no.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 03-26-2021, 02:31 PM

Uh oh - a lot of custom options will no longer be available. I'm sure there will be some folks who won't be crazy about that idea.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:36 PM

Reply to Mountainmaster,

No, my order was placed back in January of this year. There was no "Builder" at that time that I'm aware of. Kevin sent me an email with available veneers and I picked out the one I wanted, and he replied back with confirmation of the one I chose. I'll upload the one that I picked out so you can see.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y8T...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by KennyEC; 03-26-2021 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Syntax
Old 03-26-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Reply to Mountainmaster,

No, my order was placed back in January of this year. There was no "Builder" at that time that I'm aware of. Kevin sent me an email with available veneers and I picked out the one I wanted, and he replied back with confirmation of the one I choose. I'll upload the one that I picked out so you can see.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y8T...ew?usp=sharing
I like the one you picked better. What a pity.

I guess this illustrates why Emerald is going to streamline their ordering process.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 03-26-2021, 03:23 PM

Your warranty is for three years so you're well inside that window. Either Cordoba or an authorized repair center needs to be made aware of your predicament
Old 03-26-2021, 03:35 PM
Guest 928

The elimination of many custom options should add value to some of the past guitars that will remain forever unique.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Uh oh - a lot of custom options will no longer be available. I'm sure there will be some folks who won't be crazy about that idea.
It sounds like they’ve retained the ones that seem to be the most important to folks here - scale length, neck width, fan frets - and stopped some of the more esoteric flights of fancy. I can understand perfectly why they’re taking this direction, especially after hearing Mr. Hay talk about their goals for increasing production and quality, with all the new equipment they’re bringing in, and 10,000 sq ft of new workshop space. Sounds pretty exciting for them, actually.

At least I can stop dreaming about my X30 fan-fret 8-string baritone, as I know there’s pretty much zero chance of it ever being built
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-26-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I like the one you picked better. What a pity.

I guess this illustrates why Emerald is going to streamline their ordering process.
As do I like the one that I picked better. But I will see if I can live with it when it arrives. I have emailed Emerald about it but it will be Monday before I hear from them.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I used to do seminars for business owners in our industry (photography studios) back in the day. Keeping track of time spent per job vs dollars earned, I could prove to owners the "80-20 Rule"... essentially: 20% of your clients provide 80% of your income. The key is eliminating the 80% of the business that was time consuming, but not profitable. As a business owner, it is difficult to say "No" to a potential customer, especially when you build your business on saying, "Yes." There is a certain prestige in doing custom work... until you figure out that it takes 3 or 4 times the man hours, especially involving the principal person in a business.

I can't say that relates equally to building guitars, but there has to be a correlation of some sort. Emerald already knows how to build great guitars. How much longer does it take to build that 9 string compared to a stock X20? How many stock X20s could they build in the time it takes to make one extreme custom?

I think this is smart business for Emerald Guitars.

Oh, and the guitars in today's shipping video are gorgeous!
Old 03-26-2021, 05:39 PM

Maybe they’ll get to have a custom shop in the future, after they aren’t resource limited. I wonder if they are dropping satin finishes as an option. I don’t see too many of those go through but I am really hoping to see one show up on my front porch soon - please...
Old 03-26-2021, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrh View Post
Maybe they’ll get to have a custom shop in the future, after they aren’t resource limited. I wonder if they are dropping satin finishes as an option. I don’t see too many of those go through but I am really hoping to see one show up on my front porch soon - please...
My guess would be that satin would survive. It doesn’t appear to be single-threaded through Mr. Hay.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-27-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
As do I like the one that I picked better. But I will see if I can live with it when it arrives. I have emailed Emerald about it but it will be Monday before I hear from them.
You should absolutely get the veneer that you picked out. I know in the past that veneers have occasionally cracked and were therefore unusable, but the buyer was then given the option to pick another. If they switched it out on you without letting you know then that's just another example of a breakdown in customer service. It's a shame, as this has typically been Emerald's strength. I wouldn't have handled things nearly as well as you are had they switched out the veneer on my X7 -- I spent quite a bit of time finding just the right one.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
...It doesn’t appear to be single-threaded through Mr. Hay.
What does this mean?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber