The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-26-2021, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Scott on a great Rainsong! Love my CH-OM. All the best with it.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I really like that particular model and shape of Rainsong - it’s very nicely balanced.

But (and you knew there’d be a ‘but’, didn’t you? ) that ripply uneven finish on the top of the guitar would drive me nuts. I’ve seen similar examples here before, and didn’t care for them either. What were they thinking?
Agreed. The 'ripply' finish is an odd thing. I'm not sure what they were going for with that. Another reason I would have preferred a satin/matte top like the rest of the guitar. It's also another reason to maybe one day 'upgrade' to a custom Nashville (burst) finish. But at $3,500 that's a big outlay and with the less-than-impressive lows on this size body I'd most likely go with a custom X20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I would quibble about only a few dozen knowing Emerald. That would have been true in the Michael Carbon fiber Forum age, but I would guess that there's more like a few hundred who know about Emerald and a few thousand who know about CF instruments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Emerald serial numbers are at #6500+ over 20 years, now about 500 a year.

Rainsong serial numbers are at #21,000+ over 25 years, now over 1000 a year.
Well, I was certainly being facetious but since we're throwing around numbers, let's take a look. So, let's say 6,500 is an accurate number. Let's say 75% of those went to the US for 4,875 Emeralds in the US. The US currently has a population of 328.2 million. Divide that by the 4,875 and then multiply that result by the 1.63 million people that live in New Hampshire and there are approximately 20 Emerald guitars in New Hampshire. And I owned 5 of them! So, approximately 15 guys out of 1.36 million that might recognize an Emerald gig bag. I'll let you know if I run into any gigging and they comment.

And that number would be much smaller if you consider that the vast majority of that 4,875 Emeralds went to EvanB and Kramster's homes! Yes, more hyperbole!

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-27-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:15 AM
Guest 928

Methos;

Ouch, say no more, I give. That'll be the last time I quibble with you.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

It's also another reason to maybe one day 'upgrade' to a custom Nashville (burst) finish. But at $3,500 that's a big outlay...
Might want to keep in mind the $75 burst (tobacco copper or marine blue) available on all Rainsongs except the spruce layer Vintage and Nashville series. Sadly this option is poorly publicized.

Seen in person the RainSong burst is a surprise and delight. It's much nicer than painted solid bursts I've seen in guitar shops (I don't want a plain black guitar). They use an automobile paint with subtle sparkly metallic flecks - like you see on most cars nowadays. The dark shade is chocolate copper, the burst is the colour of copper pennies or copper wire, and the headstock is light new copper.

I found the WS body has a bigger bolder sound than the OM body. When equipped with the NS 24.9" 12 fret neck (2" less reach than the 25.5" 14 fret) it is equally comfortable as the OM for a medium size person. It's soundboard is only 1/2" wider but it's 1" thicker - essentially a dreadnought size sound box (15 3/4" x 19 1/2" x 5") with a comfortable mini jumbo waist.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 03-27-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:23 PM

I own a Shorty, a spiritual predecessor of the CH-OM, and it's among my favorite all-time instruments. It's basically the perfect gigging guitar, a great size that doesn't fatigue after holding it for a long time, great sound, easy to play. Mine has the Fishman pickup system and gloss finish all around, those would be the primary differences. I almost wish I had the matte-finish neck on mine, I own a CH-WS1000NS with the same finish scheme and it's quite easy on the fretting hand.

Can't wait to hear how it treats you in real-world application, although the expectation is that it will just be rock-solid reliable.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Might want to keep in mind the $75 burst (tobacco copper or marine blue) available on all Rainsongs except the spruce layer Vintage and Nashville series. Sadly this option is poorly publicized.

Seen in person the RainSong burst is a surprise and delight. It's much nicer than painted solid bursts I've seen in guitar shops (I don't want a plain black guitar). They use an automobile paint with subtle sparkly metallic flecks - like you see on most cars nowadays. The dark shade is chocolate copper, the burst is the colour of copper pennies or copper wire, and the headstock is light new copper.

I found the WS body has a bigger bolder sound than the OM body. When equipped with the NS 24.9" 12 fret neck (2" less reach than the 25.5" 14 fret) it is equally comfortable as the OM for a medium size person. It's soundboard is only 1/2" wider but it's 1" thicker - essentially a dreadnought size sound box (15 3/4" x 19 1/2" x 5") with a comfortable mini jumbo waist.

Cheers.
Not a fan of the painted burst finishes, especially the blue. I owned an APLE which was the red burst. While the color is not bad I don't like the way they do the burst to make it look like a giant guitar pick in middle. I'm not sure if that is on purpose but once I saw it I couldn't unsee it. I liked everything else about the APLE except for the Fishman pickup system. Was not a fan of that.

A WS body with a short scale NS neck might be the way to go. That would give me the better low end and more volume while still being easy to play. Although I do like the comfort of the thinner body. So it's a give and take on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I own a Shorty, a spiritual predecessor of the CH-OM, and it's among my favorite all-time instruments. It's basically the perfect gigging guitar, a great size that doesn't fatigue after holding it for a long time, great sound, easy to play. Mine has the Fishman pickup system and gloss finish all around, those would be the primary differences. I almost wish I had the matte-finish neck on mine, I own a CH-WS1000NS with the same finish scheme and it's quite easy on the fretting hand.

Can't wait to hear how it treats you in real-world application, although the expectation is that it will just be rock-solid reliable.
I played it for band practice today acoustically and I really enjoyed playing it. Very comfortable and the tone grew on me as I played it. I could easily see my ordering a custom Nashville just to get the better looking real wood layer top and the Anthem Stage Pro pickup system. But before I do that I need to wait until the three guitars I have for sale sell!
Old 03-28-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Added updated thoughts to the top post.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

I agree with your observations. As I mentioned, I have the H-OM and don’t have to baby it. It lacks nothing in the low end and gives me plenty of volume. It doesn’t sound as rich as my Furch cedar/rosewood dread, but it sounds great on its own. Good luck and enjoy the busking season!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-31-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Review/demo video added in top post.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Nice demo, sounds great, looks and sounds like you found the perfect guitar for your needs !
Old 03-31-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Nice demo, sounds great, looks and sounds like you found the perfect guitar for your needs !
Thanks! You know, if I had a nickel for every time I "found the perfect guitar for my needs," I'd have enough to buy another guitar that was perfect for my needs!
Old 03-31-2021, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Thanks! You know, if I had a nickel for every time I "found the perfect guitar for my needs," I'd have enough to buy another guitar that was perfect for my needs!
Better you said it than from the chorus of folks here.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:11 PM

Nice video...I always enjoy your reviews. If a kid is throwing a rock at you, you might have other worries than the condition of your guitar, but I get it. I also love how you can't overdrive these Rainsongs...awesome. What are you using for wireless, and how do you like it? Also, isn't it a CH-OM as opposed to OM, meaning concert hybrid as opposed to full carbon, non hybrid?
Rick

Last edited by rpmguitar; 03-31-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmguitar View Post
Nice video...I always enjoy your reviews. If a kid is throwing a rock at you, you might have other worries than the condition of your guitar, but I get it. I also love how you can't overdrive these Rainsongs...awesome. What are you using for wireless, and how do you like it? Also, isn't it a CH-OM as opposed to OM, meaning concert hybrid as opposed to full carbon, non hybrid?
Rick
I was thinking of a wise-guy or drunk chucking something. You never know. As for wireless, I bought an inexpensive, no-name 5.8 gHz wireless system on Amazon that has worked flawlessly. Here's a link:

5.8 GHz Wireless Guitar System - Rechargeable Electric Digital Audio Guitar System Transmitter Receiver Set for Electric Guitar Bass(USB Cable Included) by WINGO
Old 04-01-2021, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

I always enjoy your review posts Scott!
I will have to agree 100% with your review. I have the same model Rainsong, and have over 300 shows on it outdoors for the past 3 summers. Solid, dependable snd good sounding...
Nice find!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber