The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Hey, congrats virob!

Sounds like Joel is really impressed with the tone and responsiveness already with your guitar.

Can't ask for more than that!

Agree! It might be early to comment on tone until the dummy wood saddle is replaced etc.. but, I’m not at all concerned at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post
Really cool guitar, clearly an eye catcher. Excited to hear more about the tone in 2 weeks, and also for you to share your thoughts.

Cheers,

It will likely be a little more the 2 weeks before it gets into my hands. I’m looking forward to comparing it to the 2011 Michaud. Everyone, including Joel says it will be no comparison and I’ll be blown away. That is saying a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
That's quite a statement from Joel. Now anticipation reaches the pinnacle. I can imagine you must be going crazy! I would.
Do I hear the voice of experience?
I’m trying hard not to think about it, even avoiding AGF.
Playing a lot of guitar in anticipation though.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

After not hearing from Joel for awhile, he surprises me with this.

Dyed bone nut and saddle!

IMG_1614924507.424562.jpgIMG_1614924594.355295.jpg
Old 03-06-2021, 05:22 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Perfect color match! Incredible!
Old 03-13-2021, 10:45 PM

This is shaping up to be the most unique acoustic guitar I’ve ever seen. It’s unabashedly yours, and I love it.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 03-15-2021, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Perfect color match! Incredible!
With the spruce and bone having a different colour base, I can’t believe how well he made the match. It took several days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
This is shaping up to be the most unique acoustic guitar I’ve ever seen. It’s unabashedly yours, and I love it.
Thank! It’s kind of funny, when I first signed up for this, all that mattered was what the guitar would sound like. Only after some time had passed did it dawn on me what a unique opportunity this was. Working with someone who relishes trying the unconventional is what really made this happen.

The guitar is finished and ready to ship. Joel is holding it for me temporarily. There is a local artist who is interested in Michaud guitars whom I’ve offered the opportunity to play it first, The logistics may or may not work out, but hopefully get it sorted out soon.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the write up and pics!
Old 04-09-2021, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I’ve had the guitar for about 2 weeks and still getting to know it. This is the first “new” guitar I have owned since my very first, $50 plywood guitar. So, this is also the first time I’ve experienced a new guitar changing and opening up. For the first days in particular, it was changing on a daily basis. I would be making comparisons with my other guitar one day, and then completely changing my opinion the next day. Such an interesting process!

No doubt it will continue to open up, but not at that initial rate.
What initially struck me was the balance across the strings. That might sound kind of boring, but there is no holding back to compensate for an overhyped frequency or pushing to bring up a weak treble etc, everything is right where it is supposed to be.

I always considered my other OM as loud, and others have made similar comments, but this one is louder and incredibly responsive. It just purrs with the slightest touch. It’s a bit intimidating at first, but I really like how you can smoothly you can go from quiet to loud while playing.

Really loving the tone. I don’t know the right words, but it has this wonderful depth/3D/space to it that makes it sound big and full. It’s a characteristic more typical of rosewood or larger guitars, but this has it in abundance. Thing is, I usually associate this with lots of rosewood overtones, which for me, gets overbearing, but here the overtones are kept well under control. One would assume that would imply that the tone isn’t as complex, but there is so much more going on, that maybe gets covered up by the overtones that comes, out adding to the richness. I find myself playing slower and slower because I’m enjoying the sound of each note. There is no need to rush to the next one.

It has been an eye (ear) opening experience. I haven’t had the chance to really experience a guitar of this caliber for an extended period in a controlled environment. What a treat this is, looking forward to a long relationship with this guitar.

I hope to get a recording up at some point once I figure it out. Until then, here are some pictures of the finished guitar.

IMG_1617979042.873877.jpg

IMG_1617978913.364150.jpg

IMG_1617978456.036162.jpgIMG_1617978502.706028.jpgIMG_1617978583.522276.jpgIMG_1617978599.199002.jpgIMG_1617978627.066211.jpgIMG_1617978650.490027.jpgIMG_1617979131.995489.jpg

Last edited by virob; 04-09-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:55 AM

Wait until you go back to your other guitar(s) you're long accustomed to. That's when you'll really know what you have in your new one. My high end guitars have kinda ruined some others that I though were pretty good.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 04-09-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

In-cre-di-ble.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 04-10-2021, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Great review.

It seems your experiences is quite similar to when I received my Sands a few months back. Like you I've never bought new and it's been really fun hearing the guitar develop in the first few weeks. Balance and clarity are also two key attributes of my Sands, and I find myself currently moving away from rosewood and overtone loaded guitars.

Looking forwards to hear a recording in due time.
Best,
Old 04-11-2021, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Michaud OM-R

Congratulations on your new Michaud OM-R Mike. I know you waited a long time to get this one. My O-R is 3 years old now and still amazes me how responsive and big sounding it can get. I look forward to hearing a recording of your OM-R when you have a chance. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 04-11-2021, 10:45 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Congratulations on your new guitar!! It looks great, and I'm sure it's even more awesome in person. Anything "Michaud" is pretty darned special. I hope it serves you well for many years to come

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Wait until you go back to your other guitar(s) you're long accustomed to. That's when you'll really know what you have in your new one. My high end guitars have kinda ruined some others that I though were pretty good.
After not playing my other guitars for two weeks.....they..are..not...how I remembered...To be fair, I need to put on fresh strings...but....I think I might be forever spoilt....
I now have 4 acoustics and would like to get that down to 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
In-cre-di-ble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post
Great review.

It seems your experiences is quite similar to when I received my Sands a few months back. Like you I've never bought new and it's been really fun hearing the guitar develop in the first few weeks. Balance and clarity are also two key attributes of my Sands, and I find myself currently moving away from rosewood and overtone loaded guitars.

Looking forwards to hear a recording in due time.
Best,
Hope you are enjoying your Sands! Must be an incredible guitar.
Joel stopped using a tonerite because it was fun watching customers go through the experience.
I was seriously going to go maple at one point, but luthiers like Michaud, Sands, and others do such fantastic work controlling overtones with rosewood.
The guitar can with Martin SP PB lights. I’ve tried Gallistrings PB 1254 and now Mangan PB round core Tru mediums, each is progressively more fundamental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Congratulations on your new Michaud OM-R Mike. I know you waited a long time to get this one. My O-R is 3 years old now and still amazes me how responsive and big sounding it can get. I look forward to hearing a recording of your OM-R when you have a chance. Enjoy it in good health!
Hi Doug! Thanks for responding. Hope you are doing well. That O-R must be sounding even more exceptional after 3 years. I think it is still Joel’s favourite model. Someday I would like to try an O-R. Who need a big guitar, when you can get this kind of sound from a smaller guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Congratulations on your new guitar!! It looks great, and I'm sure it's even more awesome in person. Anything "Michaud" is pretty darned special. I hope it serves you well for many years to come
Thanks! My photography skills don’t do it justice I’m afraid. I feel very privileged to be the owner of this guitar. I would encourage anyone with the means to support independent luthiers, it’s a great experience and you end up with something very personal and unique. Not something you do everyday, but once in a lifetime what a special treat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop