The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-28-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I didn't see the Ardent or tubeless ready comment earlier.

You want to know your particular rim does well with a ghetto setup, and know your inner width. A big tire in narrow rim asks for trouble with tubeless reliability and tire profile.

I like Ardents a lot but if you do mixed terrain riding or have east of Mississippi loam there are better choices. Trek 3 and 4 treads don't pack up as fast as an Ardent, but an Ardent with right rim will get you that square edge Maxxis style that can be great.

You can also accommodate wanting some speedy and some control by a faster tire in back and one with more steering hold in front. I run WTB Riddler back and Trail Boss front on our hard tail. Its crazy how well the Riddler in back is for the speed yet has traction and holds you when you lean. New Trek 3s compete with that and Maxxis came out with I think Minion SS for that.

All the developments for adventure and gravel riding might be good for what you want. The Donneley MSO (was Clement) is amazing for how they roll on pavement yet handle dirt plus super durable. My wife uses super fast MTB race tires for the on and off road and I have the MSOs.

This can get like the ways people are very particular about guitar strings and picks. Thing is, in current really dry conditions and earlier really damp conditions the right tire choice can be the difference between hurt yourself or not.
The stock rims on my bike are the Bontrager Connection AT-650 29". They are not tubeless ready but apparently compatible nonetheless. It looks like the fattest I can go is 2.25" wide.

I take this bike everywhere and ride from January/February to September/October. I primarily ride on a multiuse path with crushed limestone but go on gravel and singletrack when I get bored or the MUPs get overcrowded. In winter the trails are either frozen or boggy. In early spring it's muddy and the roots are slippery so I save this type of riding for summer months. Pretty soon I'm going to have to be dealing with wet leaves.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:46 PM
Anticipation Junkie

About a month ago, I bought a brand new Giant Escape Disc Hybrid (2021 model). It feels good to be out on the numerous local trails after a long time away from riding at all.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I've recently rediscovered the joys of biking.

20 years ago I was in rough shape, very bad back. Had to stop jogging, basketball, even golf. Buying a recumbent bike kept me active, and I did lots of charity rides, centuries, etc. on my funny looking sit down bike. On weekends I would leave the house early and be gone all day. My wife worried about me on the roads.

One close call with a bad driver too many and I lost my nerve, quit road biking cold turkey.

We have a great bike path only a few hundred yards from our house, about a 50 mile round trip. But it wasn't the same as riding through beautiful rural landscapes. My yearly mileage went from 1,500 plus to maybe 150.

Late last year a friend who knows I have a recumbent moved to the city. He had been riding a recumbent trike, and decided it would be too low and dangerous in that setting. So he gave it to me.

Anyone else ride one of these things? It is like the go kart you had as a kid, very low to the ground and an absolute blast. Absolutey no strain on your back, neck, wrists or hands. A rolling lawn chair. Little kids love it!

The best part is my wife now rides with me on the bike path. We only do 20 miles at a time, but I get a much better workout on 3 wheels than I did on 2, where I would have to wait for her. We are pretty evenly matched toodling along at 10-12 mph on the flats now.

I don't ride it on the roads. Heck, some people don't see me on the bike path, even with a big orange flag
The wife and got Terra Trike Mavericks in the middle of July. With one arm and crossing over the 60 year mark I just didn't feel steady enough anymore We have really been loving the trikes. I doubt that we did 50 miles last year on the bikes and we have probably done over a hundred in the last month and a half on the trikes. I added a rack on the back to haul my Voyage Air around.

Jack
Old 08-28-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm 70 and ride this bike all the time, with different wheels;

This year with no triathlon races I decided to go with just one set of wheels full-time. Here it is with the new set up;

Old 08-28-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1armbandit View Post
The wife and got Terra Trike Mavericks in the middle of July. I added a rack on the back to haul my Voyage Air around.
Jack, another trike fan here. Ours are a Sun EZ3 USX, in the delta form.
https://bicycleman.com/sun-ez-3-usx-recumbent-trike/

Medical issues have made balance a challenge sometimes, so this trike really helped me stay active a few years ago. (Mine was so much fun that my wife got a matching one a year later). I even rode it last year with my arm in a sling after rotator cuff surgery, when there was very little else that I could safely do (including guitar).

Our rides are usually loops of our quiet neighborhood, with each loop being 1.5 miles. That usually happens most mornings before it gets hot, and we keep on riding until the streets get icy. No worries about falling down, but the drive wheel loses traction. Sometimes we cart them over to ride the Boise River trail, which extends for 26 miles, but we never ride the full length. 10-12 miles is plenty. These are heavy bikes and not terribly efficient. You have the friction of three tires plus a heavy frame, so even a few miles is a decent workout compared to some of the more exotic racers built for efficiency. I don't care at all about speed or being competitive, I just want some safe exercise.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:01 PM

I found one of my bikes in a dumpster, too. Old Nishiki Blazer. I've ridden it for many years and up and down many hills. Fallen on it lots too. Definitely always wear a helmet. I once fell because a fly landed on me and distracted me. I fell into a brush and my head bumped hard enough onto the wall that it dented my helmet. Had to get a new one. I wasn't really hurt, but felt stupid.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:53 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

This year with no triathlon races I decided to go with just one set of wheels full-time. Here it is with the new set up;

that's a wild looking bike there!

I was looking at Felts when I bought my Kestrel a couple years back (Legend road bike)

I've done more miles this summer than the last 3 years combined in an effort to abate major stress.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Be careful! I frequent two popular spots for tri riders and one of them I keep seeing accidents. The bikes themselves are horrible for handling, and I don't think a lot of riders are experienced enough or have that in mind. One of these spots is a rail crossing, the other a corner that holds some sand or gravel. I'll see a dude worth $5000 - $15,000 on the hoof cleaning up his yard sale on pavement, the blood starting to flow.

An interesting twist on that is our off road cycling participation is off the charts this summer and same for pathway use. Accidents there too. Riders need to remember to be off the seat and in a good stance whenever trouble might occur.

Good luck! I enjoy being in the older riders crowd - especially when you can make a youngster hurt keeping up.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1armbandit View Post
The wife and got Terra Trike Mavericks in the middle of July. With one arm and crossing over the 60 year mark I just didn't feel steady enough anymore We have really been loving the trikes. I doubt that we did 50 miles last year on the bikes and we have probably done over a hundred in the last month and a half on the trikes. I added a rack on the back to haul my Voyage Air around.

Jack
That’s great, Jack! Nice trikes and the Voyage Air on the back is fantastic
Old 08-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Awesome that you’re still competing at 70, Hope I can do the same!

The second wheel set looks a lot more modern and much more rideable than the full disc. Are they any slower? Curious what you use the bike for If you’re not doing tri’s?
Old 08-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Jack, another trike fan here. Ours are a Sun EZ3 USX, in the delta form.
https://bicycleman.com/sun-ez-3-usx-recumbent-trike/

Medical issues have made balance a challenge sometimes, so this trike really helped me stay active a few years ago. (Mine was so much fun that my wife got a matching one a year later). I even rode it last year with my arm in a sling after rotator cuff surgery, when there was very little else that I could safely do (including guitar).

Our rides are usually loops of our quiet neighborhood, with each loop being 1.5 miles. That usually happens most mornings before it gets hot, and we keep on riding until the streets get icy. No worries about falling down, but the drive wheel loses traction. Sometimes we cart them over to ride the Boise River trail, which extends for 26 miles, but we never ride the full length. 10-12 miles is plenty. These are heavy bikes and not terribly efficient. You have the friction of three tires plus a heavy frame, so even a few miles is a decent workout compared to some of the more exotic racers built for efficiency. I don't care at all about speed or being competitive, I just want some safe exercise.
Earl, nice trikes that you are using exactly as designed. I started on ‘bents with a Sun EZ-1 which was a great if heavy bike. And I got my mom an EZ-3 that kept her riding for longer than she thought possible. Well done 👍
Old 08-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

One of my sons has a bike shop, and all of his bikes (2mountain, 1 road, and 1 gravel grinder) plus my gravel grinder all have tubeless tires. The only flat in years was on mine this past winter, when a big nail went right through the back tire from the rim edge through the top. Had to replace the tire, luckily the rim was okay. Another plus is that tubes are out of stock. There has been a huge demand since the virus restrictions and resupply is backed way up.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-29-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
One of my sons has a bike shop, and all of his bikes (2mountain, 1 road, and 1 gravel grinder) plus my gravel grinder all have tubeless tires. The only flat in years was on mine this past winter, when a big nail went right through the back tire from the rim edge through the top. Had to replace the tire, luckily the rim was okay. Another plus is that tubes are out of stock. There has been a huge demand since the virus restrictions and resupply is backed way up.
One of my Trek employee friends said some containers due soon will help with tire and tube shortages. Right after, a shop owner friend said they have mid-September dates.

For anyone new to tubeless, you still need to carry a spare tube and make sure time and age haven't made that go bad. You can have a tear or lose your seal at the bead a portable hand pump can't fix. Anyone getting into tubeless should possess spare valve stems and a little tool to tighten them. Carry a spare stem and the tiny tool with your spare tube and tools.

Beyond spare tube, you really want to carry basic fix and adjust stuff and know some fix it basics. It's the difference between an annoyance on your ride and 100% bummer.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:20 PM

I have to take a break, work on my arms and leg strength and get a new saddle. I wasn’t aware that what little time I was in the saddle while mountain biking would be so punishing. Does anybody have any saddle and attire recommendations? I already have padded baggy shorts but need something better.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I have to take a break, work on my arms and leg strength and get a new saddle. I wasn’t aware that what little time I was in the saddle while mountain biking would be so punishing. Does anybody have any saddle and attire recommendations? I already have padded baggy shorts but need something better.
I wear same Kuhl brand shorts and pants over bike liners. Two models of WTB brand saddles make all the difference for me. We have the Pure model on several bikes and a trimmer one like it on my gravel bike.

More than my wife and I like to admit, the somewhat expensive better Pearl Izumi liners and shorts make a difference. That's almost a must when I'm on 3-6 hour rides.

You also need to be out of your saddle a lot for off road cycling. That's just a matter of control, safety, and fun.

For other strength, I'm not a gym person so when trails are wet or I need diversity in what I do I work on trails. That's diverse use of the rest of the body and often a good hike.

I don't know the bike you have but a lot of off road cycling comfort and handling problems are from the years too long stupid design that came from road and racer brains. Don't have your bike set up like your job is to breath and check off miles or cut the wind. Unless you're a racer, anything that's not slack, wide bars and short stem for off road riding is not good for handling and comfort as well as an accident waiting to happen. I rode my classic old bike last week and wow was it a reminder of how stupid the industry was to be so influenced by racers when most people don't race.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic