The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old Today, 01:34 PM

There's a wealth of information on Gamuts site. Well worth the read.

Since you're playing at 415 or 432, you could go up to .64mm or .66mm on the first string. .82mm,.84mm, or .86mm on the second, and 1.02mm, 1.04mm on the third string. You may find that the strings you have might sound a little thin, but that depends on what instrument you have, how you like your strings to feel, and what sound suits you.

Gamuts calculator is indispensable in calculating tensions so you know exactly where you're at no guessing.

Initially I bought all three sets of their classical strings....light, medium, and heavy for a basic understanding of how they would feel and sound, before going to their custom strings meant primarily for other instruments....but they work superbly on my classical.

Here's a link to their classical strings.

https://shop.gamutmusic.com/strings/guitar-strings/
Old Today, 02:45 PM

One last thought, if you want to see what a good gut string is all about, get at least one Gamut Pistoy string and compare it to the others.

They don't make them for the first string. I use sheep gut which I really like. Without knowing what instrument and scale length you have, I'd probably recommend .82mm for the 2nd string, and 1.02mm for the 3rd.

...but put the numbers into the calculator first so you know what tension they will be with your instrument. You can increase or decrease the diameters as needed to keep your tension where you want it.

Pistoy gut is very compliant with a great fundamental/overtone balance. The strings are $36 each plus shipping, but the shipping isn't much. Well worth the money imo..

I suggest wiping your strings down with olive oil before you put them on. Just a little on a paper towel then wipe it off....it doesn't hurt to wipe them down with olive oil every now and then.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical