The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-25-2021, 10:29 PM

Default OM Guitar Build : Rosewood Back developed a Crack before start of Build

hello every one,

I am new here from India. Forge a guitar in my home workshop is my dream and preparing for last 6 years to develop skill , preparing machines , arranging material, money and wood.

now every thing is setup and start to build in April , but summer started ( 40 degree) and i see, that my both ( 2 sets ) rose wood back developed a crack. I lost my self and no idea , what to do?

1. Any idea to repair these cracks before starting build.
2 OR scrap it now and should not use in build and purchase new one.

Pl.. Pl...Pl.. Help..
Old 03-25-2021, 11:00 PM

Yes, repair cracks before starting to build. Depending on the wood, either Titebond, epoxy or CA.

The humidity is more important than the temperature. Factories and hand builders keep their wood at a constant 40-45% RH, although not knowing what your humidity swing is where you live that make not make the most sense.

You need to provide more details to get the best help.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:01 PM

BTW- Is your back braced?
Old 03-26-2021, 06:11 AM

Don't stress out, it's ok. When you think about it, you are joining two book matched halves by gluing them together right? So now you are going to join the cracked halves together, it's almost the same thing and no one will ever notice. Repair it and carry on.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:11 PM

thanks friends , back not braced up yet , even its ruff sawn and not sanded. Just setup every thing to start to start building.

In summer in India, Humidity drops up to 20%, so yes , its an Humidity issue, my fault.

here is the some pics of cracks developed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...501a2f4b_m.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b138baef_m.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...137242b1_m.jpg

Engelman spruce top ( crack split wood in two part )
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bc7731f3_m.jpg

so pl suggest , use CA or epoxy.

Last edited by MVeena; 03-26-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:21 PM

Those pics are too small to really see anything but again, no worries. Especially since they are not even thickness sanded. Joint them back together now and when thickness sanded you will never even know.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:30 PM

oh.. will take some good pics and post. join with CA , Epoxy or titebond original..?
Old 03-26-2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVeena View Post
oh.. will take some good pics and post. join with CA , Epoxy or titebond original..?
If the cracks are not separated, consider using some water-thin CA. Also, you must somehow shield the wood from excessive heat and wide variations of humidity.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Super glue (CA glue) works well for hardwoods but don't use it for softwoods like Spruce. It can sometimes cause a weird yellow stain. Use Titebond Original for the Spruce.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:06 AM

I agree that CA will work here no problem (definitely not on soft wood as Simon mentioned) but I would suggest just using good old Titebond original. You can dilute it to 10% with distilled water and it will find it's way deep into the crack. You will also want to clamp overnight. You can do that simply with masking tape or whatever jig you use to join tops and backs. But it's important to clamp any water based glue.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:56 AM

sorry for the long silence, I am trying to arrange a good camera, so can post good pics.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:22 AM

Arranging camera and other things. Mean while also ordered a kit from stewmac and start building.
Wood i have are ruff cut and Need sander etc, so preparing all these items.

Last edited by MVeena; 12-15-2022 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I agree that CA will work here no problem (definitely not on soft wood as Simon mentioned) but I would suggest just using good old Titebond original. You can dilute it to 10% with distilled water and it will find it's way deep into the crack. You will also want to clamp overnight. You can do that simply with masking tape or whatever jig you use to join tops and backs. But it's important to clamp any water based glue.
Should that read dilute by 10% rather than dilute to 10%?
Old 12-16-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Should that read dilute by 10% rather than dilute to 10%?
Yup. Or "up to" 10%
Old 12-16-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVeena View Post
thanks friends , back not braced up yet , even its ruff sawn and not sanded. Just setup every thing to start to start building.

In summer in India, Humidity drops up to 20%, so yes , its an Humidity issue, my fault.

here is the some pics of cracks developed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...501a2f4b_m.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b138baef_m.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...137242b1_m.jpg

Engelman spruce top ( crack split wood in two part )
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bc7731f3_m.jpg

so pl suggest , use CA or epoxy.
When I click on your photo links, I only see this message: "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

Without photos, it is impossible for me to tell whether these cracks are repairable. If you can see light coming through them, then you cannot just glue them, because the wood has changed shape and the edges of the crack no longer fit together. Without my being able to see your wood sets, I would say that the safe thing to do is return them to the seller. Once you have tried to glue them, that will not be possible.

What I can say, based on almost 50 years of getting rosewood from India, is that many (not all) of the Indian sellers of rosewood guitar sets saw the wood green (wet) and pay no attention to proper drying before they sell it. These sets inevitably crack when they are brought into a room that is at the correct relative humidity for guitar building if they are not quartersawn. It is essential that you confirm with your supplier first, that the wood you will get has been brought to equilibrium moisture content at an ambient RH of 40-50% and is crack-free at that RH; and second, that it is quartersawn (something about which a lot of wood sellers in all parts of the world are prone to making misleading claims). Keep it in your shop (humidity controlled!) for two weeks before building with it.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 12-16-2022 at 07:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
crack, om guitar, rosewood